Official Gus Edwards - (Currently a bshaw28 thread)

Advertisement
He was set to be RB#1 and broke his foot, end of story. Would have had a great year had that not happened.

I was just about to say that. I recall he caught an injury that took him out for awhile

Advertisement
It's not the OL fault...he changed his running style to match his physical makeup since getting to the NFL. He kept trying to be like the other RBs on our roster when he was here, which didn't fit him well.
It's absolutely the OL, a RBs performance is almost exclusively dependent on their performance in the NFL. In College, only a **** O-Line ruins your RB, if its somewhat average, thats enough for your RB if the talent level is decent.

Edwards has had the luck that he plays for the Ravens and their O-Line from 2018-now has been one of the best run blocking units in the league.

Having Lamar in that aspect also helps, btw.

Advertisement
It's absolutely the OL, a RBs performance is almost exclusively dependent on their performance in the NFL. In College, only a **** O-Line ruins your RB, if its somewhat average, thats enough for your RB if the talent level is decent.

Edwards has had the luck that he plays for the Ravens and their O-Line from 2018-now has been one of the best run blocking units in the league.

Having Lamar in that aspect also helps, btw.

To be clear, I mean, the OLine did not hold him back at Miami. He was behind a serviceable O-Line. That line produced multiple draft picks during his time..
2013: Sat behind Duke and Dallas Crawford. Was statistically the 3rd best back as a Frosh (more YPC than Crawford, but Craford had way less carries against Sav St, while nearly 35% of Gus Yards were from this game)
2014: Was the 2A/2B with Yearby, both behind Duke. Both had similar production, Yeaby had more YPC while Gus had more TDs.
2015: Was expected to start but was injured the whole year
2016: 3rd best back behind Mark Walton and Yearby, in a year where Walton ran for 1k+ yards and 14 TDs. Gus still padded stats against FAMU, maybe he wasn't fully healthy, whatever.

He absolutely DID run soft here at Miami. His most used move was bouncing outside and trying to tight rope the sideline. Yet in the league he's consistently falling/tumbling forward on every single carry. Hardly ever gets tackled going sideways or towards the sideline. Yall can't seriously have watched this dude at Miami, watch him as a Raven, and come to the conclusion that he's the same back, with 0 adjustment to his running habits, and just simply has a better O-Line/Scheme.

The most annoying part about Gus when he was at Miami, was his potential was very clear. Thomas Brown ain't watch this dude practice and just put an undrafted Yearby in front of him in the pecking order for no reason. He had issues that he improved on since getting to the league.

The most annoying part about Gus when he was at Miami, was his potential was very clear. Thomas Brown ain't watch this dude practice and just put an undrafted Yearby in front of him in the pecking order for no reason. He had issues that he improved on since getting to the league.
I still remember a summer camp highlight of Gus carrying the ball and Brown screaming at him “pad level pad level pad level”. I guess it finally sunk in. He also used to bounce outside too much not following his blocks.

That said, I felt even then that Gus was the best back we had and should be the starter but it wasn’t to be. And people on here loved JY.

Advertisement

Take the RB rotation in 2016 with a grain of salt.

Walton was the coaches favorite, Yearby got screwed, and Gus & Homer proved to be the best talents were running 3rd & 4th on the depth chart.

Lots of Mark Walton fans here that still have skinned knees & bruised throats.

They won't be able to even open this thread.

Funny you mention Walton. At the time, I was adamant that we were starting our 3rd best back. Nothing against Yearby, he was a quality college RB. But Gus was better, as was Walton. Walton destroyed his own career with his off-field behavior, it wasn't that he lacked talent. ... Homer was a true freshman IIRC, no?

Advertisement
Funny you mention Walton. At the time, I was adamant that we were starting our 3rd best back. Nothing against Yearby, he was a quality college RB. But Gus was better, as was Walton. Walton destroyed his own career with his off-field behavior, it wasn't that he lacked talent. ... Homer was a true freshman IIRC, no?

So much of Walton's "talent" was narrative driven IMO. I don't have a problem with anyone who thinks Walton was better than Yearby & Gus. I always said it was a personal preference thing. But thinking Walton was MUCH better than Yearby & Gus never made sense, especially since Yearby consistently outplayed Walton.

2015 season stats when Yearby was the starter over Walton.

1695652244212.png

Yearby was clearly the better rusher & the receiving was pretty much the same.

But enter Richt & Thomas - and who got promoted to the starting RB when Spring practice started in 2016? Walton. Who did Richt & Thomas recruit at Georgia? Walton.

So I view that as coaches playing a favorite, and Walton not earning the starting spot. But at the time Richt/Thomas was coming off of coaching Todd Gurley, Nick Chubb, Sony Michel - so why would you question any of Richt's offensive decisions?

The Result? Well...here's their number after the first 4 ACC games in 2016

1695653765726.png

Yearby was CLEARLY outplaying Walton. Gus & Homer (who you're right - was a true Freshman) weren't being used at all.

Question: So what happened half-way through the 2016 season when Yearby complained to Richt about being behind Walton who he was clearly outplaying?

Answer: Yearby moved to the bench the 2nd half of the season and his carries went to Gus, who wasn't being used at all up to that point

In Walton's defense, he did average 5.3 ypc from this point through the rest of the 6 games in the 2016 season. But so much of Walton's legend was built off of beating up on FAU, Bethune-Cookman, Toledo, etc. - big numbers vs cupcake teams.

But why did Walton's 6 games where he averaged 5.3 ypc erase the memory of Walton averaging 3.1 ypc vs his first 15 P5 opponents? That's still a mystery.

One of my colleagues coaches HSFB out in Queens. He said Gus was the best player he ever coached against. Now NYC aint **** in football, but that's still pretty high praise coming from a coach with as much skin in the game as he has.

Proud of him...
I actually met his HS coach when he was on vacation down here. He said the same thing. Best hs rb he’s ever seen.

Yet most on this site kept saying how trash and soft he ran while playing at Miami. As one of the gus Edwards truthers on here I’m glad he’s had a successful career. Another Al golden hidden gem
I don't get the hate either. I was so bummed he was out all 2015. Figured he and Yearby were going to get the bulk of the carries.

So much of Walton's "talent" was narrative driven IMO. I don't have a problem with anyone who thinks Walton was better than Yearby & Gus. I always said it was a personal preference thing. But thinking Walton was MUCH better than Yearby & Gus never made sense, especially since Yearby consistently outplayed Walton.

2015 season stats when Yearby was the starter over Walton.

View attachment 258355

Yearby was clearly the better rusher & the receiving was pretty much the same.

But enter Richt & Thomas - and who got promoted to the starting RB when Spring practice started in 2016? Walton. Who did Richt & Thomas recruit at Georgia? Walton.

So I view that as coaches playing a favorite, and Walton not earning the starting spot. But at the time Richt/Thomas was coming off of coaching Todd Gurley, Nick Chubb, Sony Michel - so why would you question any of Richt's offensive decisions?

The Result? Well...here's their number after the first 4 ACC games in 2016

View attachment 258360

Yearby was CLEARLY outplaying Walton. Gus & Homer (who you're right - was a true Freshman) weren't being used at all.

Question: So what happened half-way through the 2016 season when Yearby complained to Richt about being behind Walton who he was clearly outplaying?

Answer: Yearby moved to the bench the 2nd half of the season and his carries went to Gus, who wasn't being used at all up to that point

In Walton's defense, he did average 5.3 ypc from this point through the rest of the 6 games in the 2016 season. But so much of Walton's legend was built off of beating up on FAU, Bethune-Cookman, Toledo, etc. - big numbers vs cupcake teams.

But why did Walton's 6 games where he averaged 5.3 ypc erase the memory of Walton averaging 3.1 ypc vs his first 15 P5 opponents? That's still a mystery.
Can’t argue rbs with this Man, you will lose lol. Great post

Advertisement
Back