Griffen? what? I am CONFUSED

Advertisement
Griffin will not be playing for Miami. TV will go to LSU or Kentucky. Jackson we have a legit shot...

If we got Griffen, Valentine and JC Jackson it might make me lay off Al for a bit.

But I'm not optimistic about any of them.

Advertisement
If he's coming to Miami. It's to visit south beach. Kid didn't make the score

Hate to say it, but after reading his tweets, it seems impossible that he could make the score. The test is administered in English. Sad. I guess Pete knows something that we don't know. (I'm not trying to knock the kid, but "Imma" and "whinning"....)

I'm beginning to lose some of my optimism that this program can be like it used to be. If we're constantly going to lose kids like Griffen and Valentine--and if it is for grades--and our competition (like LSU, some of the SEC schools) can take them, we're going to have constant trouble competing.

Back in the '80's we lost a coveted linebacker prospect from Miami, Joey Veargis. I think he than decided to go to Alabama but I don't know where he really ended up. I think I last heard of him playing in the Arena League after playing for some small school in Ohio. I was amazed that Veargis, who was having trouble getting into Miami, was still playing other sports his senior year, instead of dropping them and concentrating on what he needed to get into Miami, whether it was test scores or grades, I don't remember. I thought it was screwed-up priorities, he didn't understand the concept of making a sacrifice and the idea of delayed gratification. I was disappointed that his high school coaches and counselors didn't say, drop the basketball and spend a couple of extra hours a night doing something to prepare for college.

Maybe if this kid Griffen had stopped devoting so much time to two sports and spent the time catching up on the intellectual skills needed to prepare for college, maybe he'd be able to enter a topflight program, and have a better shot at the NFL. Of course, he did work extra hard at prep school, I guess, and had a lot of academic support and extra work. If he can't better the score a few points after all of that...I don't know. Maybe, even if he got the score, Miami admissions just had so many misgivings otherwise. I can't blame them if the University is going to maintain some kind of academic standards.

All of this about Griffen is just speculation right now.

I've seen so many of these kids end up at third rate schools because they don't qualify for the better schools (Cedric McKinnon of Gables was another in the '80's) and they never develop enough to make it to the NFL. These kids don't see the connection later on between academic preparation in high school and chance for a pro career later on.

I don't know why we might be losing Valentine to LSU, unless it's financial. All the reports say he is ready test score wise and grade wise. He loves Miami, and his father is tight with Hurlie.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Hate to say it, but after reading his tweets, it seems impossible that he could make the score. The test is administered in English. Sad. I guess Pete knows something that we don't know. (I'm not trying to knock the kid, but "Imma" and "whinning"....

I'm beginning to lose some of my optimism that this program can be like it used to be. If we're constantly going to lose kids like Griffen and Valentine--and if it is for grades--and our competition (like LSU, some of the SEC schools) can take them, we're going to have constant trouble competing.

Back in the '80's we lost a coveted linebacker prospect from Miami, Joey Veargis. I think he than decided to go to Alabama but I don't know where he really ended up. I think I last heard of him playing in the Arena League after playing for some small school in Ohio. I was amazed that Veargis, who was having trouble getting into Miami, was still playing other sports his senior year, instead of dropping them and concentrating on what he needed to get into Miami, whether it was test scores or grades, I don't remember. I thought it was screwed-up priorities, he didn't understand the concept of making a sacrifice and the idea of delayed gratification. I was disappointed that his high school coaches and counselors didn't say, drop the basketball and spend a couple of extra hours a night doing something to prepare for college.

Maybe if this kid Griffen had stopped devoting so much time to two sports and spent the time catching up on the intellectual skills needed to prepare for college, maybe he'd be able to enter a topflight program, and have a better shot at the NFL.

I've seen so many of these kids end up at third rate schools because they don't qualify for the better schools (Cedric McKinnon of Gables was another in the '80's) and they never develop enough to make it to the NFL. These kids don't see the connection later on between academic preparation in high school and chance for a pro career later on.

I don't know why we might be losing Valentine to LSU, unless it's financial. All the reports say he is ready test score wise and grade wise. He loves Miami, and his father is tight with Hurlie.

You don't know what the kid has been doing over the past couple months. It was reported he was receiving tutoring and working with uncle to improve his test scores so don't start accusing the kid of something you clearly don't know enough about. And if your going to instantly judge a kid of his twitter grammar, you're in for a real shock the day you join the twitter world.

Yeah, I wouldn't be evaluating the young man's admission possibilities based on his grammar or ability to string together a cognitive thought. That's weak. If you start doing that a significant number of top prospects would never set foot in a class room. Also doubt his two-sport pursuit significantly influenced his "intellectual skills.''

Hate to say it, but after reading his tweets, it seems impossible that he could make the score. The test is administered in English. Sad. I guess Pete knows something that we don't know. (I'm not trying to knock the kid, but "Imma" and "whinning"....)

Maybe if this kid Griffen had stopped devoting so much time to two sports and spent the time catching up on the intellectual skills needed to prepare for college, maybe he'd be able to enter a topflight program, and have a better shot at the NFL. Of course, he did work extra hard at prep school, I guess, and had a lot of academic support and extra work. If he can't better the score a few points after all of that...I don't know. Maybe, even if he got the score, Miami admissions just had so many misgivings otherwise. I can't blame them if the University is going to maintain some kind of academic standards.

a lot of these kids tweet and talk like this. its silly to judge them based on that.

Then why would he tweet that?

When has anything he tweeted regarding getting to Miami been correct?

Remember when he said he would be here January 2nd?

Classes start on Monday. A kid qualified for school would not be saying he will be here "Sometime this month". It's either he's in or he's not, and he is not.

190.gif

He does have until the end of the drop add week to get enrolled, which is normally a week after classes start.

Time to cross fingers, toes, and to pray to every deity in human history.

1/23 is the last day, but still isn't coming.

Advertisement
Agreed. Can't judge a book by its cover. I'm from the Deep South. My dad and I both graduated from Miami. I still say y'all, ain't and sound like a country bumbkin.

Advertisement
a lot of these kids tweet and talk like this. its silly to judge them based on that.

Cultural language differences do not signify a general lack of intelligence or academic ability, but of course the education system has rigid expectations about spelling and grammar that maintain structural inequalities (in this case race & socioeconomic status), such as when black kids who talk differently are subordinated and marginalized academically (i.e. teachers assume they're dumb and ignore accordingly, reinforcing the cycle).

/end sociologist rant

Ol Head post

Advertisement
Back