Greeting from Washington here is the skinny on WSU

Cougfan , let me invite you to the West End Zone , it looks like your looking for more in depth football discussion and the other board is miles better than this board . Most of us over there are big pirate fans .

Advertisement
Blow it out your ***

Thanks, nothing like a class response

Sarcasm buddy, it's what we do around here.

Good write up, but you do embellish a little, by the sound of that write up, WSU should be in the playoff. According to you, they have no weakness.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if you win, Miami has the two worst (luckily for only 1 more game) coordinators in college football.

If I had more time would write up a more objective one.

I have something total off topic that will blow your mind. Obviously Erickson is about the only tie between the schools.

My dad's high school offensive coordinator was Dennis Erickson's dad.

Yes, Pink Erickson was a longtime coach in Everitt, WA. Met him once. Dennis entire WSU staff or most came to UM. Other major connection was one our best ADs, Sam Jankovich whom I believe was previously at WSU. At the time DE left WSU for UM, the UCLA coach, Terry Donahue said Erickson had the "best conceived" offense in the Pac-10. His last year at WSU Dennis had TWO 1000 yard rushers plus a great passing attack.

If I had more time would write up a more objective one.

I have something total off topic that will blow your mind. Obviously Erickson is about the only tie between the schools.

My dad's high school offensive coordinator was Dennis Erickson's dad.

View attachment 34407

His dad taught 6 periods of study hall in the auditorium and the last period were all FB players and they left for practice. Everett, Wa was an absolute football power back in those days. My dad played with from UW cJim Lambright, Mike Price was there about 3 years later, and Dennis Erickson was there just after that.

How many days was Erickson sober?

Man I don't know but I have all the stories as Everett is a small and all the guys who played FB at that from about 1958-65 are all HS to college and have some doozeys.

I think Pink was little tipsy when I met him, come to think of it. Maybe runs in the family. DE was not the only coach with alleged drinking problem.

Dennis's mother was the nicest lady, oh my goodness. When my grandfather passed away in 1986 Pinky would pick up my grandmother and take both of them to church on Sunday. He would head for anywhere with a TV to watch football.

You could pick out their house just driving through town since there was a huge Dish in the yard to watch football.

Advertisement
The one question I have about Wazzou, Cougfan:

How do you all get that flag at Gameday every week?

This is an awesome story. Started by a guy in New Mexico who took a flag to Austin when he was on a business trip in 2003. People actually paid to have the flag shipped to Bowling Green two weeks later and a girls who's grandfather was an all American at WSU flew it. Her dad is a lawyer and set up a non-profit that money started being sent to that week 13 years later it is still that way. The money used out of that account pays for shipping and it is sent to a WSU alum near the site. There are hundreds of folks on the waiting list to do it now.

This is legitimately amazing and just another reason why college football is the ****. Thanks for sharing, never heard that before.

Leach goes 8-4 at Wash St with 76 fresh/sophomores and wins coach of the year in Pac 12.

Let that sink in folks. This guy should be at a big time program.

Blow it out your ***

Thanks, nothing like a class response

Sarcasm buddy, it's what we do around here.

Good write up, but you do embellish a little, by the sound of that write up, WSU should be in the playoff. According to you, they have no weakness.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if you win, Miami has the two worst (luckily for only 1 more game) coordinators in college football.

Early line is WSU -2.5

Leach goes 8-4 at Wash St with 76 fresh/sophomores and wins coach of the year in Pac 12.

Let that sink in folks. This guy should be at a big time program.

That's astounding. Falk is only a sophmore? That team is gonna run a train on the Pac-12 next season.

Advertisement
The issue as I see it will WSU be able to stop the bubble screen? Faced with a 3rd and six or seven OC Coley will call the famous bubble screen that averages one to three yards 98% of the times. And in a 3rd and 18 Coley will call a draw play from the shotgun carefully placing the ball in front of the RB where everyone has a clear view of it.

So if WSU can crowd the line of scrimmage blitzing on first and second down it will be a long day for the Canes. If they can't get Kaaya on the run and he stays in rhythm expect to be chasing Miami's TE's and WR's and it will be a slightly longer day when WSU has to complete long drives aided by delay of game penalties and other miscellaneous sideline circus antics (for a good laugh look at the crazy guy on Miami's sideline with the color-coded laminated defensive charts and enjoy as he is unlikely to appear again coaching on any team).

Thanks for the post Cougfan it's always a pleasure to hear from the opponents as to how they see their team. If you attend the game you will find that traveling Canes fans are mostly agreeable and not at all like the oversized bejeweled, pants-on-ground crowd spouting obscenities at home. El Paso and the desert Southwest is an interesting environment for people who enjoy seeing something other than urban sprawl and stuff, uhm like grass, concrete, and stuff. . .

6PfrUt.gif

Advertisement
Having ties to Wazzu, I still hold a soft spot in my heart for the Cougs, and do my darndest to catch their games. Having said that, OP characterization of their team is not far off. Some bad luck, and qb injuries, turned what probably should have been an 11-1 season to 8-4. There are weaknesses for sure, but their strengths almost line up completely with our weaknesses. Quite frankly, it was the one game I was hoping we'd avoid for our bowl game. But bowls can be weird, our guys have some extra motivation, and no Golden.

im legit scared we are going to lose this game

Could go either way. WSU's defense was just good enough to get turn overs and get the offense back on the field. If you can't slow down WSU they are just going to try to outscore you. That is Leach's montra. We were up 31-24 vs ASU with 3 min. Leach will not run to kill the clock. We tossed a 80 TD pass on 1st down, who in the **** does that?

Man, we are not afraid. Don't you know we rejected your coach to hire Al Golden! Why, his defense will ..... wait we fired his useless rear. Oh year that's it. We have no fear because when Golden is gone all things are possible.

Advertisement
cool write up, appreciate the info. But reading that all i could ask is how isnt WSU in the playoff?

Another Coug perspective:

WSU Strengths-

QB- sometimes holds the ball too long, but very steady performer.
WR- Our best is Marks who will likely miss the game, but we are about 10 deep with decent quality here.
RB- We don't run a ton, but they average out well when we do, and all can catch. Still Sophs and RS Fresh, so blocking and pattern mistakes do happen. Also sometimes try too hard to get outside instead of bursting up field.
OL- Experiences and pretty athletic. Overall above average unit, if Dahl plays the line is much better, but he missed the past 4 games.
MLB - Pelluer is a player who will be all over the field. The other LBs are ok to above average, but he stands out.
DL- mostly depth. Vaeo is a beast, and Hercules is going to be one. He wreaks havoc when in there, but still a RS fresh, so more of a rotational situation guy at this point.
Late game clutch play - QB sort of feeds comfort to the team, and stays calm under pressure with the game on the line. Very steady.

Weaknesses -

Consistency - Some games we look great, others we look a bit gun shy and lost. Not sure what the key is outside of maturing a bit.
Pressure - our DL does a good job with TFL, but does not seem to be able to generate consistent pressure and will miss some run fits due to over pursuit leading to RB's and QB's running for a bunch of yards. Has gotten better, but is still an issue for this group.
D-play makers - we have created more turnovers this year than last, but that was a very low bar. We really do not have anyone who would need to be game planned for specifically on D. They are ok at times, sporadic at others. The will is there, but the leadership is not a constant IMHO. Few upperclassmen is probably a large part of this (and the ones we have are generally not the better players).

im legit scared we are going to lose this game

Could go either way. WSU's defense was just good enough to get turn overs and get the offense back on the field. If you can't slow down WSU they are just going to try to outscore you. That is Leach's montra. We were up 31-24 vs ASU with 3 min. Leach will not run to kill the clock. We tossed a 80 TD pass on 1st down, who in the **** does that?

Because ASU wasn't expecting it. Brilliant if you ask me. Leach is unconventional and that is his strength as well as his weakness.

Speaking of ASU, here are the only highlight I could find to put here for the season.

They played like absolute crap for about 1 quarter vs ASU then remembered they had a game. Also if they wear these unis for the Bowl Game and you are there, you will never know who anyone is. My dad wants them burned, can't see them from out seats in the Stadium. Falk is not a gunslinger, but a great game manager and takes what he is given. His idol is Tom Brady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acrStjSN2T4

Speaking of ASU, why did Gino Simone's brother transfer from WSU to ASU? He's supposed to be a good safety.

Because when he was with us we had a coaching change (Leach) and all new assistants. He kinda got lost in the shuffle and to be honest wit ya, he just wasn't that good when he was with us. Since that time however, he's turned into a stud for asu.

Advertisement
Back