Great point on qam...

The point was, if duke ended the game with 15 carries and 75 yards and we had come out w little success throwing the ball and had several 3 and outs, we'd have been screaming why we didn't ride duke the 2nd half and chew up time and yards.
Not defending anyone, just making a point.

look riding Duke wasnt the problem, it was the Louisville-esque playcalling. You can still lean more on Duke and still stay true to whats actually working in the game on that given Saturday.

Duke wasnt the problem as i said, Kaaya was... he was in a good comfort zone and rhythm with what we were doing. Once the coaches decided to reel him in, he went into some sort of shell and basically became more of a hindrance then the solution in the 2nd half. Completely negated everything that was great about his 1st half performance.

That's on the Coaches

Noles changed up their D, Coley tried adjusting. We mixed it up in second half. Kaaya needed to adjust too. He missed a few throws. We were pushing to keep putting points on them in second half. But s#it happens: Dobard fumbles. Duke cramps up. Oh and their O-Line dominated line of scrimmage in second half. They picked up all of our blitzes including their **** RBs chop blocking our rushers (See when Pender took out Chick). If that's too much information for you, then go back inside your anti Golden shell and don't come out until 2015 'cause that talk is getting old.

Dude you are wasting your breath. The only "analysis" that is acceptable on these boards is "Golden sux and its all his fault". That's the answer to every football related question. Anyone with half a brain should understand what you just posted without even having to say it. FSU added a second safety and changed coverages. They adjusted their defense and Kaaya had a harder time adjusting to hit. He's still a true Frosh that will struggle trying to grasp when a team changes things up and starts masking coverages and throwing things at him he's not totally used to or knows well. That's where the first wheel came off the bus. Coley also tried to get the running game going, which was the right thing to do. Duke was getting good yardage and we were eating up the clock and getting first downs. We just didn't convert when we needed to. The down side to this though, was that it got Kaaya out of rythym. But had Duke stayed in the game, and we driven down and scored, Coley's playcalling would have looked "brilliant".

There were some definitely coaching mistakes we made. But Kaaya did **** well considering he was a true Frosh. You cant expect the kid to look like Peyton Manning for 4 quarters as a true frosh. Eventually defenses adjust, and you have to react to that. That, unfortunately, seems to be where Kaaya's youth is causing us problems. He's still not all the way there in seeing things when they start to evolve later in a game. It will come with time and experience.

Yeah, I don't know why I waste my time. Its like when you walk out the stadium and some punk fan yells that Golden sucks and you just want to punch him in the mouth. There's a little of that going on, you know.

We had that game. So **** close. Now what I want to see is for us to take out our frustrations on UVA. That game will show a lot about where this team is at and how prepared they are for the future. Expecting no less than a beatdown at Charlottesville. Go Canes!

Advertisement
The point was, if duke ended the game with 15 carries and 75 yards and we had come out w little success throwing the ball and had several 3 and outs, we'd have been screaming why we didn't ride duke the 2nd half and chew up time and yards.
Not defending anyone, just making a point.

look riding Duke wasnt the problem, it was the Louisville-esque playcalling. You can still lean more on Duke and still stay true to whats actually working in the game on that given Saturday.

Duke wasnt the problem as i said, Kaaya was... he was in a good comfort zone and rhythm with what we were doing. Once the coaches decided to reel him in, he went into some sort of shell and basically became more of a hindrance then the solution in the 2nd half. Completely negated everything that was great about his 1st half performance.

That's on the Coaches

Noles changed up their D, Coley tried adjusting. We mixed it up in second half. Kaaya needed to adjust too. He missed a few throws. We were pushing to keep putting points on them in second half. But s#it happens: Dobard fumbles. Duke cramps up. Oh and their O-Line dominated line of scrimmage in second half. They picked up all of our blitzes including their **** RBs chop blocking our rushers (See when Pender took out Chick). If that's too much information for you, then go back inside your anti Golden shell and don't come out until 2015 'cause that talk is getting old.

Dude you are wasting your breath. The only "analysis" that is acceptable on these boards is "Golden sux and its all his fault". That's the answer to every football related question. Anyone with half a brain should understand what you just posted without even having to say it. FSU added a second safety and changed coverages. They adjusted their defense and Kaaya had a harder time adjusting to hit. He's still a true Frosh that will struggle trying to grasp when a team changes things up and starts masking coverages and throwing things at him he's not totally used to or knows well. That's where the first wheel came off the bus. Coley also tried to get the running game going, which was the right thing to do. Duke was getting good yardage and we were eating up the clock and getting first downs. We just didn't convert when we needed to. The down side to this though, was that it got Kaaya out of rythym. But had Duke stayed in the game, and we driven down and scored, Coley's playcalling would have looked "brilliant".

There were some definitely coaching mistakes we made. But Kaaya did **** well considering he was a true Frosh. You cant expect the kid to look like Peyton Manning for 4 quarters as a true frosh. Eventually defenses adjust, and you have to react to that. That, unfortunately, seems to be where Kaaya's youth is causing us problems. He's still not all the way there in seeing things when they start to evolve later in a game. It will come with time and experience.

Yeah, I don't know why I waste my time. Its like when you walk out the stadium and some punk fan yells that Golden sucks and you just want to punch him in the mouth. There's a little of that going on, you know.

We had that game. So **** close. Now what I want to see is for us to take out our frustrations on UVA. That game will show a lot about where this team is at and how prepared they are for the future. Expecting no less than a beatdown at Charlottesville. Go Canes!

The worst part is, maybe Golden DOES suck. But there is more to football analysis and to why certain things happen than simply saying "Golden sux". Anyone who says that this team has not improved in the second half of this season, is a delusional moron. Does that mean we should be celebrating "moral victories"? No. DOes it mean Golden is a good coach? No.

It just means what it means. That we have improved. We have a **** good young QB who if he keeps going this way, is going to be a BEAST here and another legend. There is some hope for this team and this program. I know I have more hope for this team right now than I did at this point last season. And it doesn't really have anything to do with Golden. It has to do with some **** good young players we have that are really balling, and some other guys that have finally started to look like we hoped they would, and maybe just MAYBE, coaches pulling their heads out of their @sses, and making some adjustments that have allowed our players to perform to their strengths.

this board astounds me. the team played well enough to win. a few guys made mistakes that cost us.. kaaya struggled in the second half. I love the kid but the moment might have been a little to much for him at this stage of his career. that's what my eyes saw. I am not going to blame the coaches for that.

Yeeeeaaaahhhh, nice and slow, sop it all up

The middle of the field was still open and they could not cover the TE. Another play that hurt us was when Ramsey came in on a blitz and batted the ball down when Yearby was WIDE OPEN in the flat and would've had a ton of running room. Two things I really hope Kaaya works on in the off season is not being afraid to run even if it's for 3-4 yards and utilizing the pump fake. He doesn't pump at all, and once he uses that pump move to couple w/ his accuracy....he'll be in the discussion of best qb's in america.

Advertisement
Duke *****ed out in his chance to go down as one of the greats.

This team wilts in the spot light.

I just envision Coach Klein from the Waterboy hiding under his desk crying

How much would we be screaming had we had the same lead at halftime , came out throwing and had numerous 3 and outs and giving their offense many chances instead of giving the duke the ball and putting it on him?
I'm not defending the staff.
But, we'd all be going nuts if we didn't run duke 20 times and lost the game b/c we came out throwing.

How would you feel if UM lead 23 - 10 at half time? Yet, UM played the second half totally different from the first half and only scored 3 points....and lose 30 - 26.

How the ***** would you feel because that happened......

If Golden would have simply let Coley call the offense in the 2nd without shaking in his boots we would have been fine. How about come out swinging like you were already doing since it was working, mixing it up with the run and pass in different ways until FSU does something about it?

Total Head Coaching Choke Job by Al Golden and if you cant see that, then you must be blind.

FSU did do something about it. They completely changed their defense in the second half.

yes they did but we dont know if that was going to stop the multiple ways we were beating them or not because we came out and changed up our offensive gameplan before the 3rd quarter even started.

Our first scoring drive in the first half we ran the ball 6 times and threw it 3 times. Our first 2 drives in the second half we ran it twice and threw it 3 times then ran it 4 times and threw it 3 times. We tried some of the same stuff that worked in the first half but it didn't work due to FSU's play, bad play by us, and bad luck. We tried to go deep to dorsett and they hit kaaya's arm. Tried to hit Coley open deep....bad pass. We tried to hit Walford deep on a seam route and Kaaya threw it late. We hit the te up the middle and dobard fumbles.

You see different results and automatically assume we did something completely different and look for a scapegoat. In the end we did run the ball a little more in the second half which was smart because FSU COMPLETELY CHANGED THEIR DEFENSE. They were all over Dorsett and Walford and playing 2 safeties deep instead of stacking the box which they did all first half. If our coaches don't run it more in that situation then they effed up.

I don't see that point on QAM as smart or compelling at all. It's just more "well if we failed doing something else, then the fans would still be upset". Yeah. No ****. The idea is TO NOT FAIL.

How about if we came out being aggressive and continued to have success? No doubt if we continued running the same exact plays and they didn't work, then that would have been a bad strategy. However, had we continued to be aggressive and been successful with it then we'd all be happy.

Advertisement
If Golden would have simply let Coley call the offense in the 2nd without shaking in his boots we would have been fine. How about come out swinging like you were already doing since it was working, mixing it up with the run and pass in different ways until FSU does something about it?

Total Head Coaching Choke Job by Al Golden and if you cant see that, then you must be blind.

FSU did do something about it. They completely changed their defense in the second half.

yes they did but we dont know if that was going to stop the multiple ways we were beating them or not because we came out and changed up our offensive gameplan before the 3rd quarter even started.

Our first scoring drive in the first half we ran the ball 6 times and threw it 3 times. Our first 2 drives in the second half we ran it twice and threw it 3 times then ran it 4 times and threw it 3 times. We tried some of the same stuff that worked in the first half but it didn't work due to FSU's play, bad play by us, and bad luck. We tried to go deep to dorsett and they hit kaaya's arm. Tried to hit Coley open deep....bad pass. We tried to hit Walford deep on a seam route and Kaaya threw it late. We hit the te up the middle and dobard fumbles.

You see different results and automatically assume we did something completely different and look for a scapegoat. In the end we did run the ball a little more in the second half which was smart because FSU COMPLETELY CHANGED THEIR DEFENSE. They were all over Dorsett and Walford and playing 2 safeties deep instead of stacking the box which they did all first half. If our coaches don't run it more in that situation then they effed up.

Sharp post

You are missing the point! We should have hired Bobby Petrino when we had the chance. He or Brian Kelly never would have let this happen to them.

People were going to complain and blame golden no matter what unless we won. That's the bed he's made for himself. Fsu is a good team that's a lot like our 2002 team--they have warts but they know how to win. We aren't yet at that level mentally. There's honestly not a lot of shame in losing a close game to them. The shame will lie in a team with the ability that we showed losing 5 games pr whatever it is at season's end.

Golden has his work cut out for him trying to pick up the pieces (again).

People were going to complain and blame golden no matter what unless we won. That's the bed he's made for himself. Fsu is a good team that's a lot like our 2002 team--they have warts but they know how to win. We aren't yet at that level mentally. There's honestly not a lot of shame in losing a close game to them. The shame will lie in a team with the ability that we showed losing 5 games pr whatever it is at season's end.

Golden has his work cut out for him trying to pick up the pieces (again).

Had both teams entered that game undefeated, and the game played out exactly the same as it did I think UM fans would be a lot more forgiving. Folden gave himself no margin for error and has made his own bed by being consistently bad (especially against good opponents) over 4 years.

Advertisement
How much would we be screaming had we had the same lead at halftime , came out throwing and had numerous 3 and outs and giving their offense many chances instead of giving the duke the ball and putting it on him?
But, we'd all be going nuts if we didn't run duke 20 times and lost the game b/c we came out throwing.

Sorry but thats a sissy *** way of thinking. Fsu came out and did the same thing they did in the first half minus some slight adjustments..they took shots down field and executed while miami played scared. Both teams had miscues but fsu played to win while Miami played not to lose and lost.

I agree with this and said it in another thread. A huge part of the fact that we did as well in this game was the fact that we DID generate first downs, drive the ball, and eat up the clock, keeping Winston and their offense off the field. People can ***** all the want about it, but the fact remains that its an important part of the strategy to winning a football game. You have to control the clock and play to your strengths. FSU's strength was Winston and their offense. We kept them off the field most of the game. Our problem was that we did not convert when we needed to. Special teams blunders, and just plays that we flat out blew. Berrios dropped TD. Dobard fumble. Duke getting hurt caused pass protection to really suffer and allowed a lot of pressure on Kaaya at the worst possible time. And the fact that Kaaya is a true Frosh, was confused and struggled some when FSU started really changing things up defensively, and its clear he and Coley just do not have an effective 2 minute offense ready to roll.

There are plenty of criticisms of the coaching, but I think the "conservative 2nd half" stuff is WAY overblown. Yes the play calling was more predictable, but FSU adjusted its defense, and we were taking what they gave. If Duke stays healthy and we keep converting 1st downs, we eat up the clock, and probably score once more and put that game away. When he went down, FSU knew that we weren't going to drive down the field on Yearby's back. Worse, they knew that Yearby would be a liability in pass protection, so they pinned their ears back and came after Kaaya hard. That hurt us.

We took some shots down field. We weren't in a "shell". Yes it was more conservative, but if we execute on a few key plays there, we win that game, and Coley's play calling would have been "brilliant" by eating up the clock, wearing down FSU's defense, and keeping Winston off the field.

needed a book to pat yourself on the back?

FSU changed nothing, we changed it. in the first half we threw on 11 times 1st or 2nd down ran 9 times, good balance...they couldnt stop it. In the second half, we ran 16 times on first or second down and only threw 6 times. Fact! FSU game plan in the first half...don't let Duke beat you, second half, don't let Duke beat you. We kept running on early downs and ended up in long 3rd downs and then they can pressure Kaaya and sit on routes in the second half.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So how do the "geniuses" at QAM explain the Defense playing conservative in the 2nd half? Winston had all night to throw and we didn't do anything to put pressure or confuse him.

First rule of football, or even war, is: If it's working - keep doing it until it isn't. THEN take another approach.

this board astounds me. the team played well enough to win. a few guys made mistakes that cost us.. kaaya struggled in the second half. I love the kid but the moment might have been a little to much for him at this stage of his career. that's what my eyes saw. I am not going to blame the coaches for that.

They didnt win, and never have won a game like that under Golden, so long as the team wasn't a complete pile of ****. It's really that simple. What astounds me is the moral victory crowd. If it was consistent progress that'd be one thing. It's year 4 and we're blowing almost three score leads at home against our most hated rival. Get some ******* pride already.

Advertisement
Back