Great coach or Great recruiter?

can4life

Junior
I ask this question because it seems like are coaches struggling to land the top sofla players, But they have proven they can develop talent. I hear alot of you guys complain and wanting to get rid of a coach because he's not recruiting well.

Advertisement
Anyone who wins in South Florida will clean up in recruiting. The answer is obvious.

Advertisement
When it comes yo South Florida kids they're divas, they're unloyal and they're difficult to deal with so the only way to for sure speak their language is to make a New Years Bowl

You need both. Can't have one without the other or you will get Golden. Golden recruited well because many of his players are in the NFL.

What Golden also showed is that you don't have to clean up in recruiting to get NFL talent in South Florida.

Advertisement
This thread about me, c0cksucker?!

iVl-Uk_1.webp

They need to get a closer on this staff someone who just specialize in recruiting

I still don't get the hire of his son ...seems like wasted money

A great coach once said, "It ain't about the X's and O's. It's about the Jimmy's and Joe's."

Advertisement
I ask this question because it seems like are coaches struggling to land the top sofla players, But they have proven they can develop talent. I hear alot of you guys complain and wanting to get rid of a coach because he's not recruiting well.

Our recruiting class is #13 after a decade of playing like shi•. We just won our first bowl game in ten years and 3 of our four losses were very close.

Things are looking great if your a cane fan.

Advertisement
Washington and Coach Pete proved a couple days ago what a vastly superior HC gets when faced against vastly superior talent.

You need a combo of great recruiters and a couple great coordinators. Helps also to have elite OL and DL coaches too. But your other position coaches need to be monster recruiters above all else. If you have an elite veteran DC he can tell the position coaches exactly what he wants taught to make his defense roll. Same with a top OC.

I always lean to great recruiters. In general I think a team can be more successful with an average coach and great players, than average players and a great coach.

Great coach for sure - the winning brings in recruits

I can't watch bad football anymore. Seeing Kool and Diaz work this year reminded me just how important it is to have coaches who know what the fvck they're doing. Also was the most fun I've had watching a Cane defense play since 2005.

We win the coastal and start winning a few big games on national TV and the recruits will line up again. Until then we're going to struggle to sell the program to kids. Richt isn't a used car salesman, he's a football coach with above average recruiting skills.

I think he has a great eye for QB/RB talent, and that bodes well for us in the future.

Let Diaz and Kool recruit the defense.

All in all the program is headed in a much better direction than we've been for the last 15 years. Oh and Shalala is still gone.

Give me a great talent evaluator, forget the recruiting nonsense, talent evaluator is first and foremost. They can have all the stars they want or not have any, history has shown the best teams are the ones that find the guys that best fit their schemes regardless of stars.

It is hilarious to read these "experts" critique, on one hand "not getting the studs" on the other hand they will say a "3 star from South Florida is a 4 or 5 star anywhere else" . That is all BS, it is about evaluating the players and finding the best guy they believe will fit their scheme the best for an optimum opportunity to succeed. And yes now this will go down to the stars do or don't matter BS. UM has always lost some of the top rated talent locally to other schools, they always will regardless of how great we are, history has shown that.

Just give me an organization that evaluates the talent properly for their schemes, and then give me a great coach. You have those two things and recruiting is never an issue. Times may change, but certain things never do, and these two things have always been a constant throughout football, regardless of what is available now, whether it be star system or hudl or pro football focus or whatever analytics they use.

Advertisement
Back