Great article on Jon Garvin

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Micah Mays had just two words to say after watching Jonathan Garvin in Mays’ Lake Worth coaching debut: “Thank you.”

Mays’ star defensive lineman had just torn through the Glades Central offensive line in the Trojans’ preseason tie against the Raiders, racking up seven sacks, as well as grabbing a pass at the line of scrimmage and returning it for a touchdown.

“Seriously, thank you,” Mays said he thought. “This kid is on my team. … He’s just relentless.”

Although that game did not count, it set the tone for Garvin’s stellar senior season, during which he recorded 88 tackles and 25 sacks. For his performance, he was named the Post’s Large Schools Defensive Player of the Year.

All-Area football player of the year: Jonathan Garvin, Lake Worth

Advertisement
D-line could seriously be scary in 2-3 years. JJ looks like a top 10 pick and Dj and Garvin look like potential first rounders and that's before they get to work with the best d-line coach in the business.

I can't figure out who I like better, DJ or Garvin. DJ has better pure speed and acceleration but Garvin looks a lot quicker laterally.

This is a great problem to have.

Advertisement
I know one thing. With beasts like this coming in at d-end, if I was a CB recruit, I'd be jumping at the chance to sign with Miami. Plyers like Garvin and DJ make a DB's life much easier. You just gotta cover to 3 Mississippi a lot of the time.

I can't figure out who I like better, DJ or Garvin. DJ has better pure speed and acceleration but Garvin looks a lot quicker laterally.

Dj to me seems like he's the better athlete but he needs a little more work while Garvin. To me, Garvin is actually a better player right now. Ceiling for Dj is higher but his floor is lower.

At the Nike last March Garvin posed a vertical of over 36". Tremendous for a DE. DJ could possible grow into one of those R. McIntosh type DTs in the future and be a real disruptor.

Advertisement
I can't believe the difference in depth and talent at the DL since the new staff came on-board. Whatever we need to pay to keep coach Kool happy where he is, pay it. I honestly don't think there will be a better DL in the country (although Clemson should be very good) next year.

Even with that said, Garvin will see the field as a freshmen, no doubt about it.

D$, we know you're excited about the DL, however I would love to get your thoughts on the OL. It goes without saying that's an area of concern for everyone.

I know Micah. He played at Lakes just after Shipman. Connected guy in Palm Beach County. Glad to see his star headed to UM.

Advertisement
D$, we know you're excited about the DL, however I would love to get your thoughts on the OL. It goes without saying that's an area of concern for everyone.

I love Donaldson and Gaynor. The other two appear to have attributes but I need to see them in person. Really wish we could've landed Slaton and Telfort. Despite their flakiness, they are potentially dominant talents.

Jonathan Garvin NIKE CAMP
6-4 222
40: 4.87
20: 4.40
Vertical: 36.2
Power Throw: 36
SPARQ 97.89

Joe Jackson NIKE CAMP
6-5 237
40: 4.83
20: 4.93
Vertical: 32
Power Throw: 35
SPARQ 80.31

Garvin is quicker than Jackson but lighter. If this kid can put on 15-20 pounds this spring he will be in the two deep.

Advertisement
Garvin is a freak. I don't think I've ever been as giddy watching his tape AFTER he committed. Hadn't ever checked it out because the word was always Clemson. He has JJ's ceiling.

Garvin looks a lot like joe Jackson , just younger.

Didn't Ariz say that already? :)

Garvin seems ready now, DJ more upside. Both are future NFLers. Just like Shaq and McCloud. Can't go wrong with either.

"Mays said Garvin separates himself as a player by being more dedicated than most, showing up after hours and asking Mays to open the weight room up so he can lift more."

Old School Cane mentality. This guy will break through his freshman year, I promise.

Advertisement
Back