Great article on Gabriel Terry

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
After moving back to Palm Beach County, Palm Beach Central defensive end Gabriel Terry waited for teams to notice him, while his teammates and coaches told anyone who would listen: “G.T.” is the real deal.

Terry didn’t take long to back up their talk.

After watching him rip into enemy backfields this season, several BCS programs showed interest. But Terry had two major offers – UConn and Florida International – and was set to visit UConn this weekend with teammate Jhavon Williams, a Huskies commit. Before Terry packed his bags, Miami called.

“They had come to one of my games,” Terry said Wednesday night. “I talked to [tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator] Brandon Carroll a few weeks ago. He said they had six scholarships left and they wanted to meet me in person.”

Terry visited Miami coaches on campus Wednesday evening. He met with head coach Al Golden, who offered him a full ride. Terry spoke to his family and accepted, becoming a surprise member of Miami’s 2012 recruiting class.

“Miami was always at the top of the list,” he said. “I’m from Palm Beach County and I was always a Hurricanes fan. Talking with Coach Golden, where they want to grow the program is where I want to be. The ACC is big-time football.”

Terry, who split time between defensive end and outside linebacker last season, said he is being recruited as an outside linebacker. He put up six sacks, 58 tackles and one interception last season.

“He has all the physical tools,” Seminole Ridge coach Justin Hilliker said in a text message. “Specimen and can run. Body just like Bostic,” he said, referring to Palm Beach Central grad and Florida Gators linebacker Jon Bostic.

“Real talented kid with a great motor,” Palm Beach Gardens coach Chris Davis said.

Terry joins Broncos teammate Angelo Jean-Louis, who committed to the ‘Canes in April.
Terry was a state champion wrestler in Nebraska before movinig home to Palm Beach County. (Omaha.com)

Terry played youth football in the Western Communities Football League before spending his high school years at Boys Town High in Nebraska. He was a first-team All-Omaha selection and second-team all-state selection in his junior year. He was also a state champion wrestler and competed at state track as a sprinter and 400-relay member.

At first glance, Terry (6-foot-3 and 210 pounds) passed the eye test. In games, his speed (he’s been clocked at 4.56 in the 40-yard dash) and strength showed. He helped the Broncos earn their first playoff berth and was selected to the Nike South Florida All-Star Game.

Because he didn’t have the evidence to send to schools, Terry was a virtual unknown in recruiting circles until this year. After a few games, Broncos coach Rod Harris finally had enough footage to make Terry a highlight reel. “There’s going to be a whole bunch of schools on him,” Harris said in September, after sending Terry’s tape all across the country.

He turned heads in a Sept. 16 game against Palm Beach Gardens when he beat 6-6, 286-pound Gardens left tackle Avery Young one-on-one. “Alabama was there to see Avery, but they were talking to Gabriel afterward,” Broncos linebacker Mike Maldonado said at a September practice.

“My coaches told me to be patient, the offers are going to come,” Terry said.
Terry said he’s glad he waited it out. So is Miami.

“Great kid. So happy he is at his dream school,” Harris said Thursday morning.

Advertisement
Some comments

Who's Dat!!! Says:

November 24th, 2011 at 12:34 pm
The Canes won the lottery with this kid. He’s known as “the Blender” to the coaching staff, cause he only has two speeds; OFF and Kick @ss!I’ll be looking forward to watching him play on Saturdays for the next couple of years, then Sundays after that! Good shot, GT

BALL COACH Says:

November 25th, 2011 at 10:36 am
GOOD DEAL,VERY RESPECTFUL KID HARD WORKER ,NEVER COMPLAIN’S. ALWAYS PLAYS @100% N MORE. GLAD TO SEE YOU MADE IT, GOOD JOB KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. HOPE YOU COME BACK TO SEE US WHEN YOUR PLAYING ON SUNDAY’S. GO PBC BRONCO’S. – GLAD TO HAVE HAD YOU AS PART OF THE TEAM THIS YEAR.

Nice vid, guy def gets after it. Tall and should put on a lot more weight at the next level.

Good get

FOOTBALL PLAYERS. Thats what I want on this team. Thats exactly what buddy is

Advertisement
So we're recruiting big tall athletic LB instead of 190 pound ones?

That'll never work

Advertisement
Was talking to a dude who went to Palm Beach Central who's mentor is my good friends dad. He know's football and starts for one of the big Floridaschools. Said Terry is a beast, he's going to be the real deal.

But also had some terrible things to say about AJL off the field.

Was talking to a dude who went to Palm Beach Central who's mentor is my good friends dad. He know's football and starts for one of the big Floridaschools. Said Terry is a beast, he's going to be the real de

What's the negative on AJL?

Was talking to a dude who went to Palm Beach Central who's mentor is my good friends dad. He know's football and starts for one of the big Floridaschools. Said Terry is a beast, he's going to be the real deal.

Dude .. if your gonna Throw that out there - you gotta atleast tell us, in a roundabout way, what type of activity/issue it may be. Can't just leave that out there.. smh

JC

Advertisement
I think this kid can play, and I think he will play for us.

I think our teams lacks a lot of player "types"...sure, there are bodies, but I think our defense especially (offense too, but that's for another discussion) lacks a well grounded group of players in each unit. Example here, at linebacker, we lack versatile players. Terry, in this example, comes in and fills a role that I think was similarly played by Amara Kamara at Temple in Coach D's defense.

Last edited:
For times when we switch to the 3-4, this kid looks like he can grow into that hybrid OLB/DE. I love his burst off the line.

Advertisement
I honestly don't know if I want to put the kid out like that. But they said he went to all his old teachers and they ALL hate him. They called him stupid as **** and didn't think he would even graduate. Everyone in the room who knew him agreed, almost as if it was common knowledge that the kid didn't brains.

I'll be pulling for Terry. Sounds like we've found a diamond in the rough. Just need to coach him up.

Now as far as AJL is concerned. I'm not sure if I understand you other than you saying Angelo is not a ploymath. Why did he go to his teachers? And if he went to his teachers why wouldn't they help him? Teachers typically do not call students out for being stupid publicly though they may think it privately. Am I missing something here?

I honestly don't know if I want to put the kid out like that. But they said he went to all his old teachers and they ALL hate him. They called him stupid as **** and didn't think he would even graduate. Everyone in the room who knew him agreed, almost as if it was common knowledge that the kid didn't brains.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back