Grayson Allen is a piece of trash

Advertisement
I tried to explain that once before but according to these forums, if you like any other team besides Mia that wins you must be a front runner

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Duke was a team of lovable losers when I started following them. My parents moved us to NC in 1982 when I was 11. I honestly wasn't even a college basketball fan at the time because being a UM fan it might as well not have existed. But the kids in school don't give you much of a choice up there. NC State and UNC get shoved down your throat. Especially UNC. I will say there weren't a lot of Duke fans even in North Carolina back then. Duke was that bad. I remember people calling for Coach K's head.
For me, I have lived in Florida most of my life but have had a couple of stints living in Raleigh. The first time I stayed in Raleigh I was 9 yrs old. I was always a cane fan because pops instilled that in me since the day I was born, but in 99 I didn't even know Miami had a basketball team, meanwhile I'm watching Brand, Jay Williams, Boozer, Battier, and Dunleavy almost every game on local stations.

See, that's just dumb. In 1999 Miami had a very good basketball team. If you said 1989, you might have had a tiny, miniscule point, but you'd still be a POS. In 1999 Miami was in the midst of one of the best runs in the Big East. Miami was in a three year stretch where they won more Big East games than any other school, including UConn who won the national title in 1999. In 1999 Miami beat UConn in Storrs. Miami was a #2 seed in 1999. Miami went 15-3 in the Big East in 1999 and was a top 10 team. That's on you if you didn't know Miami had a basketball team.

Man stop it. You are doing to much. Of course I know they had a basketball team silly, but can you tell me how much I got to see them play living in Raleigh? I was 9 in 99 with limited to no access to the internet, and basic cable. Every Duke game was on local tv. Duke had no affiliation with Miami, and they had an amazing team at the time so being young and impressionable, I took a natural liking to Duke. I didn't start following Miami basketball until Jack McClinton started dropping bombs.

So how does that make me a pos because I latched onto a team at an early age that had no affiliation what so ever with the Canes?

So be a Duke football fan and go away

How can you like different schools in college sports. Its so weird.

It's been explained. Miami basketball didn't exist for almost two decades. Then for it's first decade back it wasn't relevant and was not at all covered by the media outside of Florida. UM being a national brand makes it a school very likely to have fans of other schools. Especially in basketball.

It's been explained. Miami basketball didn't exist for almost two decades. Then for it's first decade back it wasn't relevant and was not at all covered by the media outside of Florida. UM being a national brand makes it a school very likely to have fans of other schools. Especially in basketball.

Sure, so that makes sense for people in the 1970s, not someone of his age. Also, it's not pro sports, you don't pick different SCHOOLS for different sports.

Sure, so that makes sense for people in the 1970s, not someone of his age. Also, it's not pro sports, you don't pick different SCHOOLS for different sports.

So UM basketball was being covered nationally in 99? And wtf difference does it make weather it college or pro sports? I'm done explaining myself to a complete stranger trying to tell me in who I should/shouldn't root for...

"you don't pick different schools for different sports." What page in the How To Be Fan rulebook is that located?

Advertisement
Lol at all the high and mighty fans in here. 90% of Hurricane fans don't give a **** about Miami basketball...

So UM basketball was being covered nationally in 99? And wtf difference does it make weather it college or pro sports? I'm done explaining myself to a complete stranger trying to tell me in who I should/shouldn't root for...

"you don't pick different schools for different sports." What page in the How To Be Fan rulebook is that located?

UM basketball was being covered nationally in 99. They had several games (including their win over #2 UConn in Storrs) on CBS national. And you can find that rule in page one of the handbook.

Lol at all the high and mighty fans in here. 90% of Hurricane fans don't give a **** about Miami basketball...

Yes, and that's why our fans ******* suck. Absolutely worst example you could have used. Our fans think the UNIVERSITY of Miami is a professional franchise that only plays football and it annoys many a great deal.

UM basketball was being covered nationally in 99. They had several games (including their win over #2 UConn in Storrs) on CBS national. And you can find that rule in page one of the handbook.

Cmon man, you can't be that dense. Having one or two games on tv does not mean a team is covered nationally....

Advertisement

Cmon man, you can't be that dense. Having one or two games on tv does not mean a team is covered nationally....

I was in college in New Orleans, I watched most of their games that here and this was before ESPN 3. They were on ESPN or ESPN 2 or CBS all the time. If you wanted to follow them, it was easy. This was the 1989 Hurricanes basketball. You're right though, you don't have to justify it to me or anyone, but I also think it sucks when someone likes Miami in one sport and another school in another unless they went to that school.

Yes, and that's why our fans ******* suck. Absolutely worst example you could have used. Our fans think the UNIVERSITY of Miami is a professional franchise that only plays football and it annoys many a great deal.
You know good and we'll most none alums latched onto this program during the 80s and 90s because of the football team. The way they played, their winning, the hate they received, etc. So it only makes sense that most don't care for the basketball team. Stop acting like Miami has the "traditional" fans that root for everything Miami.

Last edited:

I was in college in New Orleans, I watched most of their games that here and this was before ESPN 3. They were on ESPN or ESPN 2 or CBS all the time. If you wanted to follow them, it was easy. This was the 1989 Hurricanes basketball. You're right though, you don't have to justify it to me or anyone, but I also think it sucks when someone likes Miami in one sport and another school in another unless they went to that school.
So their isn't a difference between a 18-21 yr old watching sports and a 9 yr old watching sports?

I understand what you're saying (1971-1984) but I don't buy it except for a small % of fans.

Let's assume you start being a "fan" of something at age 7, even then you really don't understand much. So if you were born between 1964 - 1977, maybe I could see it since the product didn't exist (more to come later).

Also, consider that 1980 was when we started having success with the football program. Even then, if you were born between 1973 - 1976, you hardly understood this early period in college football.

So if it was the football program that brought you here or began your affiliation, then those born between 1964 - 1972 began being fans when we didn't even have a basketball program. Keep in mind between 1968 - 1979, we hardly had any success in football. We were awful, we had 2 winning seasons (both 6-5). My guess is that unless you were raised on it or went here, then you likely didn't develop you're affiliation with Miami during this period. So basically those born between 1961-1972 weren't likely drawn here randomly during that time because we were awful.

So where does that leave us...

We sucked in football from 1968-1979.

We had no basketball program from 1971-1985.

That leaves (1980-1985) when there was success in football but no basketball program. So if you were born between 1972-1977 and began being a fan because of the football program, then at least you have the "excuse" that you can't support something that doesn't exist. With that said, it is clear these people only support a winning program.

Advertisement

So their isn't a difference between a 18-21 yr old watching sports and a 9 yr old watching sports?

But you could watch Duke on the same stations?

You know good and we'll most none alums latched onto this program during the 80s and 90s because of the football team. The way they played, their winning, the hate they received, etc. So it only makes sense that most don't care for the basketball team. Stop acting like Miami has the "traditional" fans that root for everything Miami.

No ****

Now you are just trying to be an *******. What part of I was staying in Raleigh at the time don't you understand. Duke and Miami was definitely not shown on the same stations. Every Duke game was on local tv. ****, local stations down here don't even show Miami games till this day...

And yes, most kids under the age 10 roots for what team is winning...

Advertisement

No ****
So get off your high horse if you know that...

Now you are just trying to be an *******. What part of I was staying in Raleigh at the time don't you understand. Duke and Miami was definitely not shown on the same stations. Every Duke game was on local tv. ****, local stations down here don't even show Miami games till this day...

Why weren't you an NC State, since they're in Raleigh?

You do know Raleigh is part of what's called the Triangle. Raleigh, Chapel Hill, and Durham. Raleigh is only 30 min from Durham

You do know Raleigh is part of what's called the Triangle. Raleigh, Chapel Hill, and Durham. Raleigh is only 30 min from Durham

Yes, it's 30 minutes away. I went to b-ball camp at Duke as a kid. So why not root for the home team?

Advertisement
Back