MMA Grappling/BJJ/Wrestling

Is Darren still and Chimaev the greatest bromance ever in combat history? Not sure if you’ve seen their YouTube channel but they put out some hilarious content. Also, Makhachev is so dominant it’s going to be interesting seeing him face off with Oliveira who has seemingly only gotten better throughout his career and his striking has come a long way…can’t count him out of any fight now. @Liberty City El
Yeah Oliveira has always been an Elite BJJ grappler coming from the Hickson Gracie line in São Paulo under Jorge Patino, he was multi-time medalist before he ever even started his MMA career & has always had a dominant ground game. But his striking has really caught up to his grappling ability, although he definitely still utilizes his BJJ quite a bit in most of his fights today with him RNC’ing Gaethje & Poirier in back to back fights.

But Islam Makhachev & those Combat Sambo fighters are all extremely thought to contend with in fights because they operate at such a high intensity level, they force you to speed up the tempo of your attack plan because if you don’t come out the gate aggressive they’re going to put heavy pressure on you to figure something out quick because otherwise they’ll just overwhelm you with their pace.

They make fighters uncomfortable by forcing them to think on the feet, making their opponents frantic & disrupting their decision time by closing distance & intensifying pressure with striking while simultaneously setting you up for ground attacks to get submissions. It’s like trying to Defend against someone who throws a Snake & a Hornets nest at you at the same time, it’s hard to think under rapid fire & the urgency of the attack scrambles your game plan & causes mistakes because they just simply don’t give you time to think, you just have to react.

It’s part of the reason why Khabibi was so untouchable, he basically took away his opponents processing time & forced them to fight at a speed they simply were unprepared for. It’s like a surprise attack that actually isn’t a surprise at all because you exactly when it’s coming you just couldn’t do anything about it lol

I think the best thing Oliveira can do, is to let the fight go to the ground, he’s a more experienced & a much more proficient grappler than Makhachev is & the ground game is where he’s most comfortable & trying to stand in there & trade shots will play right into Mak’s game plan. So IMO, his best bet is to drag him out to the deep of the waters & drown him, take the fight to the ground & take away his striking & just turn the fight into a BJJ match, neutralize Mak’s strength & just dig into the bag of tricks to set him up for a submit.

But either way it should be a really good fight.

Advertisement
I think the first MMA match I saw was one of the Gracies and Shamrock. It ended in a draw, which was a huge deal for Shamrock bc Gracie was the best . . . IIRC.

Yeah Oliveira has always been an Elite BJJ grappler coming from the Hickson Gracie line in São Paulo under Jorge Patino, he was multi-time medalist before he ever even started his MMA career & has always had a dominant ground game. But his striking has really caught up to his grappling ability, although he definitely still utilizes his BJJ quite a bit in most of his fights today with him RNC’ing Gaethje & Poirier in back to back fights.

But Islam Makhachev & those Combat Sambo fighters are all extremely thought to contend with in fights because they operate at such a high intensity level, they force you to speed up the tempo of your attack plan because if you don’t come out the gate aggressive they’re going to put heavy pressure on you to figure something out quick because otherwise they’ll just overwhelm you with their pace.

They make fighters uncomfortable by forcing them to think on the feet, making their opponents frantic & disrupting their decision time by closing distance & intensifying pressure with striking while simultaneously setting you up for ground attacks to get submissions. It’s like trying to Defend against someone who throws a Snake & a Hornets nest at you at the same time, it’s hard to think under rapid fire & the urgency of the attack scrambles your game plan & causes mistakes because they just simply don’t give you time to think, you just have to react.

It’s part of the reason why Khabibi was so untouchable, he basically took away his opponents processing time & forced them to fight at a speed they simply were unprepared for. It’s like a surprise attack that actually isn’t a surprise at all because you exactly when it’s coming you just couldn’t do anything about it lol

I think the best thing Oliveira can do, is to let the fight go to the ground, he’s a more experienced & a much more proficient grappler than Makhachev is & the ground game is where he’s most comfortable & trying to stand in there & trade shots will play right into Mak’s game plan. So IMO, his best bet is to drag him out to the deep of the waters & drown him, take the fight to the ground & take away his striking & just turn the fight into a BJJ match, neutralize Mak’s strength & just dig into the bag of tricks to set him up for a submit.

But either way it should be a really good fight.
I’m hoping it’s a war. Realistically I see Islam dominating because he’s just a Khabib clone with the amount of pressure he puts on. I knew those Sambo guys were built different when Khabib would wear his “if Sambo was easy it would be called Jiu-Jitsu” shirt at the weigh ins 😂. First time I saw Sambo being implemented was through watching the great Fedor Emelianenko dominating in the Pride days.

For upcoming matches I’m most looking forward to Im really curious to see

Izzy v Pereira - I think Izzy will fight smart and not let his ego draw him into a striking match where he’s 0-2 against Pereira on the kickboxing circuit.

Islam v Oliveira

Chimaev v Usman

It’s a beautiful humbling sport with levels to it. Two of my favorite guys to watch are Edson Barboza and Yair “Pantera” Rodríguez, but then you see guys like Max completely outclass Yair and Volkanovski having the perfect fight style to counter Max.

Back in Thailand I also was able to see Valentina “Bullet” Schevchenko and Volkanovski training in person. Watching them is like seeing something made in a lab

My first MMA bet, I took Anderson Silva in the fight he shattered his leg.
Seeing that happen to one of my all-time favorites was painful. My jaw dropped and I was saying “oh my god” for a good 30 minutes. I hate to see fights end that way, but a lot of these guys fight through injuries. It’s just like football you can’t ever really say you’re 100%.

Advertisement
Seeing that happen to one of my all-time favorites was painful. My jaw dropped and I was saying “oh my god” for a good 30 minutes. I hate to see fights end that way, but a lot of these guys fight through injuries. It’s just like football you can’t ever really say you’re 100%.

He was such a good fighter. I never met him, but to me he seems like a real standup guy. Didn't he end up fighting again after he broke his leg?

He was such a good fighter. I never met him, but to me he seems like a real standup guy. Didn't he end up fighting again after he broke his leg?
Multiple times but he just wasn’t ever the same Anderson. He was already cemented as the Middleweight GOAT at the time, and at the backend of his career (believe he was 37 or 38 when he fought Weidman). Freakish thing about the sport is the same leg injury happened to Chris against Uriah Hall as of recently in their opening exchange of the fight.

Anderson still dabbles in boxing having knocked out Tito Ortiz last year. Guy just loves the art of combat sports because he could have well retired a long time ago.

I believe Brock Lesnar tried out with the Vikings a decade ago. I also believe the Patriots had an OL that wrestled in college. Played football in hs I’m almost certain🤓
I am surprised we have yet to see a MMA fighter actually make it in the NFL or college perhaps. My first thought is OL, then DL, Wideouts that know how to go up for the ball and do some hand to hand combat. Lol

I believe Brock Lesnar tried out with the Vikings a decade ago. I also believe the Patriots had an OL that wrestled in college. Played football in hs I’m almost certain🤓
I am surprised we have yet to see a MMA fighter actually make it in the NFL or college perhaps. My first thought is OL, then DL, Wideouts that know how to go up for the ball and do some hand to hand combat. Lol
Steve Smith and Andre Johnson could have been in the UFC lol those hands were rated E for EVERYONE

Advertisement
I expect merab and costa to win tonight. Rocky edwards vs usman will be closer then Vegas expects.

Both guys are dawgs. I want to see both guys win so i hope we get a scrap for the ages.

Mikey puts on a clinic & gets the RNC vs Osamah Almarwai to become Flyweight Submission Champion.

Mikey Musumeci is one of the best in the world in the his weight class

Advertisement

Mikey puts on a clinic & gets the RNC vs Osamah Almarwai to become Flyweight Submission Champion.

Mikey Musumeci is one of the best in the world in the his weight class

Listened to him on the Rogan podcast. Not being malicious here but I assume he’s on the spectrum in some capacity. Regardless, he’s a lot of fun to watch. Dude is a wizard on the mat.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back