Grab Bag examples: I-Form and Coker-T in 4th

Richt has said he’s both rusty as a play-caller (a job he’s performing for the first time in a decade) and said play-calling is “overrated.” Asked about his play-calling, he said he probably favored RPO (run-pass option) plays too much and didn’t call enough designed two-back runs (fullback blocking for a running back).

“We’ll get back to that” in the coming weeks, he said.

Miami-Florida State 2016: What happened on game-deciding blocked point-after kick? | Canes Watch

Smh

Last edited:
Advertisement
Richt absolutely failed as a play-caller last night, but it's deeper than that, which some posters have already pointed out. His play-calling was just a mere function of his style, which we've heard about in interview after interview and we've seen in game after game: balance, balance, balance.

By balance Richt doesn't mean our run/pass will be 50/50, but rather that our offensive formations will be balanced. We'll spread the field, we'll play tight, heavy sets. We'll run under center in the eye, we'll run out of the shotgun. We'll play with tempo, we'll slow down the game. Etc. Etc.

The formula for beating Florida State wasn't some great unknown. Just look at the teams that have had their way with FSU's defense recently: Houston, Clemson, Ole Miss, Louisville, North Carolina. Most have dual threats, which we clearly don't have, but most spread the field, play with tempo, and play primarily out of the shotgun, which we could've easily replicated. When we lined up in eye formation and just predictably pounded the ball up the middle on first down, it reminded me of Les Miles and LSU trying to run the ball 30 plus times a game versus Alabama... lunacy.

"Balance" was the last approach we should've taken last night. Even though FSU's defense is trash in many ways, it still has a decent run-blocking DL versus traditional pro-style, power running teams. At the very least, Kaaya should have been in the gun dam near the whole gam. It would have played to his strengths and would have minimized our disadvantages- our outplayed and overmatched o-line- by allowing him to read the defense and distribute the ball quicker. The painful reality is that if Corch Coley was our offensive coordinator for just this one game, we probably would have won it.

This is the essence of what the original post intended to tease out. 4thQ and we're in need of some stability? Go Coker-T. What? No, man. Go bunch or trips and find your NFL TE over the middle. It doesn't take spectacular OL play, Kaaya is protected, and it at least plays to FSU's weaknesses. That's all I really care about: did we play to our strengths and their weaknesses? On defense, we did. On offense, we didn't. The score/result shows that, but I'm trying to look beyond that. Next week, when UNC spreads us out and plays to our defense's weaknesses, they'll show what we should and could have done to FSU.

Lu and Zarilli hit this **** out of the park.

It was almost comical the way we'd line up in power I then go immediately to spread shotgun on the next play after predictably running for 0 yards into the teeth of an 8 man front.

This is not a Power I team. That's why I never got all lathered up over the 280 pound FB. I don't think it's an RPO team either.

I think we're a shotgun spread team that should use Njoku and Herndon more against LBs and Safeties in the deep seams. Pass first. Spread em out and then gash the gaps with quick hitting run plays.

I was really expecting/hoping to see some of the 'Fast Break' concept that FSU ran under Richt as their OC, where you saw 4 WR's on many sets, QB out of the gun and just letting Kaaya sling it early and a lot of outlet passes to our backs for 6,7 yards out in the flat.

That stuff last night was frustrating. Our Oline simply isn't good enough to consistently do what Richt was attempting to do

Those back to back runs on 1st and 20 after the penalty wiped out Walton's run was mind-boggling

Again, play to our personnel, not a set philosophy
Exactly. And you're dead right on those two give up runs on 1st and 20. Unconscionable.

Richt has said he’s both rusty as a play-caller (a job he’s performing for the first time in a decade) and said play-calling is “overrated.” Asked about his play-calling, he said he probably favored RPO (run-pass option) plays too much and didn’t call enough designed two-back runs (fullback blocking for a running back).

Smh

That's terrifying. Marquez Williams is not the absolute solution unless we're playing a team with a run-stopping weakness. FSU was not that team. "Getting back to that" is playing a particular way instead of strengths vs weaknesses. Any other quotes? I can't stand to watch the press conferences for this game. It would be appreciated.

Gulp @ "playcalling is overrated."

Smh
That's sickening to hear. He should do just the opposite. Get in a spread gun and play pitch and catch and gash them with some quick hitting runs. That I formation will be the death of me.

Miami-Florida State 2016: What happened on game-deciding blocked point-after kick? | Canes Watch

Smh

Sounds like Richt has some Onfrio in him....way to not hold yourself accountable for your own sins.

Advertisement
When I went to that meeting with Richt in May he talked a lot about getting the ball out early and really would not comment anymore on the O line. I am not sure how that influences his play calling.

Does anyone know how stubborn Richt is? While The O line issue will take time the play calling seems fixable if flexible.

SMDH Great! We have a head coach that just went full ****** in the biggest rivalry game of the year. Worst than that is he's planning on going full ****** " in the coming weeks". We deserve better than this.

Richt absolutely failed as a play-caller last night, but it's deeper than that, which some posters have already pointed out. His play-calling was just a mere function of his style, which we've heard about in interview after interview and we've seen in game after game: balance, balance, balance.

By balance Richt doesn't mean our run/pass will be 50/50, but rather that our offensive formations will be balanced. We'll spread the field, we'll play tight, heavy sets. We'll run under center in the eye, we'll run out of the shotgun. We'll play with tempo, we'll slow down the game. Etc. Etc.

The formula for beating Florida State wasn't some great unknown. Just look at the teams that have had their way with FSU's defense recently: Houston, Clemson, Ole Miss, Louisville, North Carolina. Most have dual threats, which we clearly don't have, but most spread the field, play with tempo, and play primarily out of the shotgun, which we could've easily replicated. When we lined up in eye formation and just predictably pounded the ball up the middle on first down, it reminded me of Les Miles and LSU trying to run the ball 30 plus times a game versus Alabama... lunacy.

"Balance" was the last approach we should've taken last night. Even though FSU's defense is trash in many ways, it still has a decent run-blocking DL versus traditional pro-style, power running teams. At the very least, Kaaya should have been in the gun dam near the whole gam. It would have played to his strengths and would have minimized our disadvantages- our outplayed and overmatched o-line- by allowing him to read the defense and distribute the ball quicker. The painful reality is that if Corch Coley was our offensive coordinator for just this one game, we probably would have won it.

This is the essence of what the original post intended to tease out. 4thQ and we're in need of some stability? Go Coker-T. What? No, man. Go bunch or trips and find your NFL TE over the middle. It doesn't take spectacular OL play, Kaaya is protected, and it at least plays to FSU's weaknesses. That's all I really care about: did we play to our strengths and their weaknesses? On defense, we did. On offense, we didn't. The score/result shows that, but I'm trying to look beyond that. Next week, when UNC spreads us out and plays to our defense's weaknesses, they'll show what we should and could have done to FSU.

It was almost comical the way we'd line up in power I then go immediately to spread shotgun on the next play after predictably running for 0 yards into the teeth of an 8 man front.

This is not a Power I team. That's why I never got all lathered up over the 280 pound FB. I don't think it's an RPO team either.

I think we're a shotgun spread team that should use Njoku and Herndon more against LBs and Safeties in the deep seams. Pass first. Spread em out and then gash the gaps with quick hitting run plays.

I was really expecting/hoping to see some of the 'Fast Break' concept that FSU ran under Richt as their OC, where you saw 4 WR's on many sets, QB out of the gun and just letting Kaaya sling it early and a lot of outlet passes to our backs for 6,7 yards out in the flat.

That stuff last night was frustrating. Our Oline simply isn't good enough to consistently do what Richt was attempting to do

Those back to back runs on 1st and 20 after the penalty wiped out Walton's run was mind-boggling

Exactly. And you're dead right on those two give up runs on 1st and 20. Unconscionable.

My heart sank at that moment.

My heart sank at that moment.

I get why you have to run the ball at times but in that circumstance at least one of those plays before 3rd down has to be a pass unless that first down run got you at least 8 or 9 yards.

Again, lets stop with this 'multiple' foolishness, be good at one thing philosophically and keep doing that. Take away a play or two, Miami is not a great run team out of the pro-set I under center and while Walton/Yearby are solid, they are not McGahee or Portis

Back to my original point, I know Kaaya has below avg athleticism but you're telling me he cant do what a Weinke or Kanell did while Richt was directing them?

Also the lack of real plays for Njoku down the seam is mystifying to me

Advertisement
It's easy to blame Richt and talk about the play calling becuase the plays didn't work. But how can anyone ignore how bad this Oline is?

Jimbo fisher didn't make any huge adjustments at half time. They primary ran it when under center as well. But he looks like a genius becuase we couldn't stop it for less than a 4 yard gain. And he occasionally called PA becuase you have to commit to stopping dalvin cook.

I hear that you said the plays he called had no rhym or reason but at that point I think he was looking for anything that our team could run effectively. We just don't have elite players. Our WRs and TE were blanketed all night.

Everyone keeps saying run crossing routes, they take time to develop and the oline sucks.

our top 2 offensive players (Kayaa and coley) are overrated. Neither one of them forces the defense to play a certain way which opens up other areas of the field and the offense for these "genius" play calls everyone is expecting.

Richt isn't perfect and I'm sure there are a lot of plays he wants back but you don't have to be super aggressive offensively to win these games Nick saban has proven that.

There's so many things wrong in this post it's silly.

Guess what..I've been watching football closely for over 30 years...and I disagree with just about every ****ing syllable you typed in this post.

If you can't see that the playcalling was garbage...then you shouldn't be commenting on the play calling. Slants, by definition are quick 3 step drops and man killers...we ran THREE ALL ****ING game. All three resulted in positive outcomes and were part of our best, most cohesive drive.

Shallow crosses don't take a ton of time to develop either. Seam routes are reads off the line and can be hit quickly even in the face of pressure.

So in short..this is one of the worst posts I've read on this board in quite some time. The line gave enough time to run proper MAN KILLER plays...which weren't called and just further accentuates how **** poor Richt is as a play caller and game planner. The worst part about this is that FSU didn't even try to disguise it's coverage. They showed their hand early and it was clear they were going to play man to man the majority of the evening.

I'll sit with anyone on this board and go play and play and point out how ****ing retarded the play calling was last night.

Talk to me about the 2 consecutive run calls in the face of a 1st and 20, with good field position, immediately following the bs holding call on Walton's TD run.

Talk to me about the 3 CONSECUTIVE RUN CALLS in the red zone at the end of the game where Richt's retardedness was BAILED OUT by Kaaya on a great 4th down throw.

Just stop dude. We're not starting the excuses again for a new coach. Nobody gets a pass and he has to be held accountable for what we saw last night. If him being the play caller is a package deal and a requisite for him being here I'll be creating the "Fire Mark Richt" thread in the very near future. He needs to hire a dedicated OC quickly.

I agree with this whole post

Going back to the Gatech game, I wasn't all that thrilled with our approach for most of that game. But I fell for the trap - he's saving stuff. Oh, boy

And in that game, the sequence that really stuck was me was the beginning of the 4th quarter. GAtech on the ropes, Brad on a nice run, Berrios just had a big play to get into Jackets territory and the 3rd quarter runs out. Im thinking,'OK, we score here and the games completely over'... and what do we do. Run-run-3rd and long and drive goes nowhere

Again, where is this 'Fast Break' offense that Richt ran before?

Great post man.

"Balance" for sake of being balanced is the dumbest thing coaches do. The recipe to beat FSUs D was there, we decided not to go that route for some unknown reason.

Great post man.

"Balance" for sake of being balanced is the dumbest thing coaches do. The recipe to beat FSUs D was there, we decided not to go that route for some unknown reason.

There are games when New England will basically not even line up behind center and just have Brady line up in the shotgun and run less than a dozen times. And it usually works for them because it's a match-up/style that can be exploited. Coach Hoody has no use for force 'balance'

Smh
That's sickening to hear. He should do just the opposite. Get in a spread gun and play pitch and catch and gash them with some quick hitting runs. That I formation will be the death of me.

That quote is what I feared when Richt was hired. I'm depressed already.

Advertisement
That's terrifying. Marquez Williams is not the absolute solution unless we're playing a team with a run-stopping weakness. FSU was not that team. "Getting back to that" is playing a particular way instead of strengths vs weaknesses. Any other quotes? I can't stand to watch the press conferences for this game. It would be appreciated.

Gulp @ "playcalling is overrated."

I couldn't watch either. I got that from Porter's write-up tonight, believe it came from a Sunday night conference call.

If kayaa has to reposition on a drop back from center, his footwork and mechanics completely fall apart...

SMDH Great! We have a head coach that just went full ****** in the biggest rivalry game of the year. Worst than that is he's planning on going full ****** " in the coming weeks". We deserve better than this.

He's planning on doubling down on full ****** is what he's doing.

This is square peg round hole type **** all over again. We just hired the D'Nofrio of offense.

Advertisement
Of the things I've been PM'd or messaged to answer, here's the one I'll start a thread on: playcalling specifics.

It was extremely odd to randomly see us go to Marquez Williams' I-Form late in the game. Then, later in that possession or perhaps a series later, we went Coker-T (2TE and FB). We ran each time. This was essentially what Coach Richt used to "stabilize" the offense? It was really odd, didn't have a positive effect, and we immediately went back to spread sets and trips.

My point is we saw legitimate grab bag behavior and it's a cause for concern in the upcoming games. There will be lots of speculation around why we did things the way we did against FSU. Honestly, I don't have great answers. We used almost all the formations I had seen and expected. We used a lot of the plays I hadnt yet seen in the first 4 games. Unfortunately, they didn't have much rhyme or rhythm.

I think the Tempo is currently forced. If you're out of rhythm, why continue to go no huddle? You're only hurrying a bad result.

I was scratching my head at that also.

Honestly I thought we should've stayed in the spread. I thought we were marching right down the field with RPO's and zone running plays. We then went to the I-formation, brought defenders into the box and got stuffed.

It's easy to blame Richt and talk about the play calling becuase the plays didn't work. But how can anyone ignore how bad this Oline is?

Jimbo fisher didn't make any huge adjustments at half time. They primary ran it when under center as well. But he looks like a genius becuase we couldn't stop it for less than a 4 yard gain. And he occasionally called PA becuase you have to commit to stopping dalvin cook.

I hear that you said the plays he called had no rhym or reason but at that point I think he was looking for anything that our team could run effectively. We just don't have elite players. Our WRs and TE were blanketed all night.

Everyone keeps saying run crossing routes, they take time to develop and the oline sucks.

our top 2 offensive players (Kayaa and coley) are overrated. Neither one of them forces the defense to play a certain way which opens up other areas of the field and the offense for these "genius" play calls everyone is expecting.

Richt isn't perfect and I'm sure there are a lot of plays he wants back but you don't have to be super aggressive offensively to win these games Nick saban has proven that.

Spot tf on. The knee jerk reactions to the playcalling is really exposing the dumbazzez on here.

UNC should have put 50 up on FSU's defense and had guys running wide open all day and we couldn't break 20, what a disgrace. ****, I think we win that game with Coley calling plays.

Of the things I've been PM'd or messaged to answer, here's the one I'll start a thread on: playcalling specifics.

It was extremely odd to randomly see us go to Marquez Williams' I-Form late in the game. Then, later in that possession or perhaps a series later, we went Coker-T (2TE and FB). We ran each time. This was essentially what Coach Richt used to "stabilize" the offense? It was really odd, didn't have a positive effect, and we immediately went back to spread sets and trips.

My point is we saw legitimate grab bag behavior and it's a cause for concern in the upcoming games. There will be lots of speculation around why we did things the way we did against FSU. Honestly, I don't have great answers. We used almost all the formations I had seen and expected. We used a lot of the plays I hadnt yet seen in the first 4 games. Unfortunately, they didn't have much rhyme or rhythm.

I think the Tempo is currently forced. If you're out of rhythm, why continue to go no huddle? You're only hurrying a bad result.
Do you think Kayaa is not allowed to check out of plays. I could count on both hands how many times we came out in a running formation and fsu would walk extra players into the box for an obvious blitz, and we would run right into the blitz.

Meanwhile, I'm watching Francois point out all type of **** on his pre snap reads. He points to Bobo, Bobo points upfield, then they link up on a well timed comeback route on a crucial 3rd down.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back