Grab Bag examples: I-Form and Coker-T in 4th

Advertisement
I'm shook. Badly. This isn't "oh, we kicked their *** in every phase but turned it over 6 times." This is fundamental core ****, and I'm scared we're stuck again.

That FSU defense was as prime for the picking as any since the late part of the Mickey Andrews era, and we put 88 yards on them in the second half. And we looked completely disjointed doing it.

That I formation 1st down run into the teeth of 8 guys throughout the night was an abortion. With our personnel and guys like Erma Lame out there for them trying to play defense it's fcking criminal to put 88 yards on them in a half.

I'd love to make some excuses and believe them, but I can't. Folden must be laughing his fat *** off right now.
Honestly, I think we are stuck again. The arguments many made about Richt doing less with more didn't just disappear. I hoped that they would with a new start for him but his insistence to run the I over and over was Golden and the Maryland game all over again only on the offensive side of the ball. His playing not to lose was goldenesque as well.

Kicking the field goal on 4th & 2 at the end of the first half was criminal and something golden would have been proud of. We were moving the ball with ease. Not only did we lose momentum but we gave them 1:30 to get a field goal.

And the no onside kick call. Jesus.

Richt looked in way over his head last night. Looked lost and scared. Jimbo coached circles around him. Another win that the coaches took away from the players.

Now we know why Richts reputation precedes him. He can't win the big games.

Richt is not the guy here period.. I have seen enough.. A tiger can't change who he is. Richt is good better than Folden, but the will not be great. We may win the coastal, but we will never win a big playoff game with him here.

I'm shook. Badly. This isn't "oh, we kicked their *** in every phase but turned it over 6 times." This is fundamental core ****, and I'm scared we're stuck again.

That FSU defense was as prime for the picking as any since the late part of the Mickey Andrews era, and we put 88 yards on them in the second half. And we looked completely disjointed doing it.

That I formation 1st down run into the teeth of 8 guys throughout the night was an abortion. With our personnel and guys like Erma Lame out there for them trying to play defense it's fcking criminal to put 88 yards on them in a half.

I'd love to make some excuses and believe them, but I can't. Folden must be laughing his fat *** off right now.

Once they realized we couldn't protect Kaaya, and we didn't have time to play action, they just loaded the box and played man. We had no answer. Our Oline got their asses kicked, and Kaaya is just too immobile. There is a reason they struggle against any QB that can move, because you have to cover for more that 3 seconds.

Our pass pro wasn't nearly as bad as people are trying to make it seem. We hold the ball too long on some plays, and when you run for no yards on 1st down you put yourself in predictable situations. We did nothing to keep that wretched defense off balance.

Exactly. Come on. What do people expect? A perfectly clean pocket every time? A couple shuffles up or laterally make all the difference. And, we're not talking incredible athleticism needed. In fact, there were a couple RB crossing routes where Kaaya stepped up in the pocket and threw behind the RB. We just have to be better. The "horrible OL" excuse is easy because it's been true for so long. It was true in spurts yesterday. It wasn't the root cause of everything.

It's easy to blame Richt and talk about the play calling becuase the plays didn't work. But how can anyone ignore how bad this Oline is?

Jimbo fisher didn't make any huge adjustments at half time. They primary ran it when under center as well. But he looks like a genius becuase we couldn't stop it for less than a 4 yard gain. And he occasionally called PA becuase you have to commit to stopping dalvin cook.

I hear that you said the plays he called had no rhym or reason but at that point I think he was looking for anything that our team could run effectively. We just don't have elite players. Our WRs and TE were blanketed all night.

Everyone keeps saying run crossing routes, they take time to develop and the oline sucks.

our top 2 offensive players (Kayaa and coley) are overrated. Neither one of them forces the defense to play a certain way which opens up other areas of the field and the offense for these "genius" play calls everyone is expecting.

Richt isn't perfect and I'm sure there are a lot of plays he wants back but you don't have to be super aggressive offensively to win these games Nick saban has proven that.
It's not a talent problem, if it were USF wouldn't have scored 35 on them, UL which is less talented overall than FSU wouldn't have racked up 63 points, UNC which isn't anywhere close in talent level to FSU scored 37.

Please don't insult everyone's intelligence by using the talent excuse. Coaches that get paid $4 million or more are supposed to make up for any talent deficiencies they may have which we didn't. We got out coached.

All three of those teams has mobile QB'S that made plays outside the pocket

Richt absolutely failed as a play-caller last night, but it's deeper than that, which some posters have already pointed out. His play-calling was just a mere function of his style, which we've heard about in interview after interview and we've seen in game after game: balance, balance, balance.

By balance Richt doesn't mean our run/pass will be 50/50, but rather that our offensive formations will be balanced. We'll spread the field, we'll play tight, heavy sets. We'll run under center in the eye, we'll run out of the shotgun. We'll play with tempo, we'll slow down the game. Etc. Etc.

The formula for beating Florida State wasn't some great unknown. Just look at the teams that have had their way with FSU's defense recently: Houston, Clemson, Ole Miss, Louisville, North Carolina. Most have dual threats, which we clearly don't have, but most spread the field, play with tempo, and play primarily out of the shotgun, which we could've easily replicated. When we lined up in eye formation and just predictably pounded the ball up the middle on first down, it reminded me of Les Miles and LSU trying to run the ball 30 plus times a game versus Alabama... lunacy.

"Balance" was the last approach we should've taken last night. Even though FSU's defense is trash in many ways, it still has a decent run-blocking DL versus traditional pro-style, power running teams. At the very least, Kaaya should have been in the gun dam near the whole gam. It would have played to his strengths and would have minimized our disadvantages- our outplayed and overmatched o-line- by allowing him to read the defense and distribute the ball quicker. The painful reality is that if Corch Coley was our offensive coordinator for just this one game, we probably would have won it.

Advertisement
Richt absolutely failed as a play-caller last night, but it's deeper than that, which some posters have already pointed out. His play-calling was just a mere function of his style, which we've heard about in interview after interview and we've seen in game after game: balance, balance, balance.

By balance Richt doesn't mean our run/pass will be 50/50, but rather that our offensive formations will be balanced. We'll spread the field, we'll play tight, heavy sets. We'll run under center in the eye, we'll run out of the shotgun. We'll play with tempo, we'll slow down the game. Etc. Etc.

The formula for beating Florida State wasn't some great unknown. Just look at the teams that have had their way with FSU's defense recently: Houston, Clemson, Ole Miss, Louisville, North Carolina. Most have dual threats, which we clearly don't have, but most spread the field, play with tempo, and play primarily out of the shotgun, which we could've easily replicated. When we lined up in eye formation and just predictably pounded the ball up the middle on first down, it reminded me of Les Miles and LSU trying to run the ball 30 plus times a game versus Alabama... lunacy.

"Balance" was the last approach we should've taken last night. Even though FSU's defense is trash in many ways, it still has a decent run-blocking DL versus traditional pro-style, power running teams. At the very least, Kaaya should have been in the gun dam near the whole gam. It would have played to his strengths and would have minimized our disadvantages- our outplayed and overmatched o-line- by allowing him to read the defense and distribute the ball quicker. The painful reality is that if Corch Coley was our offensive coordinator for just this one game, we probably would have won it.

This is the essence of what the original post intended to tease out. 4thQ and we're in need of some stability? Go Coker-T. What? No, man. Go bunch or trips and find your NFL TE over the middle. It doesn't take spectacular OL play, Kaaya is protected, and it at least plays to FSU's weaknesses. That's all I really care about: did we play to our strengths and their weaknesses? On defense, we did. On offense, we didn't. The score/result shows that, but I'm trying to look beyond that. Next week, when UNC spreads us out and plays to our defense's weaknesses, they'll show what we should and could have done to FSU.

After a second viewing it's as if all the things a logical play caller WOULDN'T have done, were done. A defense like FSU's that has been struggling with passes in the middle of the field and have been prone to mental break downs and blown coverages in the intermediate section of the field.....instead we decide to attack LATERALLY with bubble screens, off tackles, and draws.

Words can't even express how disappointed I am in Richt as a playcaller. I was really hopeful the days of being outcoached on gameday were over and we would at least hold our own. What I saw yesterday was an abomination from the depths of Hades.

It's worth repeating...they weren't disguising coverages and bringing exotic schemes. It was the good old fashion Randy Shannon special....man to man across the board.

Disgusting, pathetic, and disappointing. We're totally at his mercy too because our spineless, clueless administration won't force any changes upon the sacred cow. He'll either figure out on his own that play calling in the modern era isn't for him or we're gonna be mired in mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Once they realized we couldn't protect Kaaya, and we didn't have time to play action, they just loaded the box and played man. We had no answer. Our Oline got their asses kicked, and Kaaya is just too immobile. There is a reason they struggle against any QB that can move, because you have to cover for more that 3 seconds.

Our pass pro wasn't nearly as bad as people are trying to make it seem. We hold the ball too long on some plays, and when you run for no yards on 1st down you put yourself in predictable situations. We did nothing to keep that wretched defense off balance.

Exactly. Come on. What do people expect? A perfectly clean pocket every time? A couple shuffles up or laterally make all the difference. And, we're not talking incredible athleticism needed. In fact, there were a couple RB crossing routes where Kaaya stepped up in the pocket and threw behind the RB. We just have to be better. The "horrible OL" excuse is easy because it's been true for so long. It was true in spurts yesterday. It wasn't the root cause of everything.

Exactly. Unfortunately, John Madden and the other TV guys made fans think everything good and bad is the result of the OL. There were many many times when Kaaya had adequate protection and either made a bad throw, panicked, or the play was badly designed with guys like Njoku and Herndon not running down the seams.

Exactly. Unfortunately, John Madden and the other TV guys made fans think everything good and bad is the result of the OL. There were many many times when Kaaya had adequate protection and either made a bad throw, panicked, or the play was badly designed with guys like Njoku and Herndon not running down the seams.

If we're listing all the things that went wrong last night or didn't perform up to par....O line isn't at the top of the list. They held their own enough to conduct a functional offense had the gameplan made sense.

We didn't run one **** crossing pattern or anything that resembled a play with a natural pick built in. It's disheartening to say the least.

Advertisement

Honestly, I think we are stuck again. The arguments many made about Richt doing less with more didn't just disappear. I hoped that they would with a new start for him but his insistence to run the I over and over was Golden and the Maryland game all over again only on the offensive side of the ball. His playing not to lose was goldenesque as well.

Kicking the field goal on 4th & 2 at the end of the first half was criminal and something golden would have been proud of. We were moving the ball with ease. Not only did we lose momentum but we gave them 1:30 to get a field goal.

And the no onside kick call. Jesus.

Richt looked in way over his head last night. Looked lost and scared. Jimbo coached circles around him. Another win that the coaches took away from the players.

Now we know why Richts reputation precedes him. He can't win the big games.

ding.ding. winner

yep, harsh stuff, but based on the evidence of last night all true.

After a second viewing it's as if all the things a logical play caller WOULDN'T have done, were done. A defense like FSU's that has been struggling with passes in the middle of the field and have been prone to mental break downs and blown coverages in the intermediate section of the field.....instead we decide to attack LATERALLY with bubble screens, off tackles, and draws.

Words can't even express how disappointed I am in Richt as a playcaller. I was really hopeful the days of being outcoached on gameday were over and we would at least hold our own. What I saw yesterday was an abomination from the depths of Hades.

It's worth repeating...they weren't disguising coverages and bringing exotic schemes. It was the good old fashion Randy Shannon special....man to man across the board.

Disgusting, pathetic, and disappointing. We're totally at his mercy too because our spineless, clueless administration won't force any changes upon the sacred cow. He'll either figure out on his own that play calling in the modern era isn't for him or we're gonna be mired in mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

I respect the fact you have rewatched in less than 24 hours.

This exactly. It's either he didn't do his homework/lacked the capability to design an effective gameplan, or he was stubborn in his ways (what I mentioned before about his whole balance approach/style). I'm hoping it's the latter and not the former. If it's the latter, he could still potentially evolve his offense and come to the realization that a balanced approach might not be the best at all times. If it's the former, then we are ****ed, because it just simply means he's incompetent/not a very good play-caller. Or it could just be both...

Last edited:

This is the essence of what the original post intended to tease out. 4thQ and we're in need of some stability? Go Coker-T. What? No, man. Go bunch or trips and find your NFL TE over the middle. It doesn't take spectacular OL play, Kaaya is protected, and it at least plays to FSU's weaknesses. That's all I really care about: did we play to our strengths and their weaknesses? On defense, we did. On offense, we didn't. The score/result shows that, but I'm trying to look beyond that. Next week, when UNC spreads us out and plays to our defense's weaknesses, they'll show what we should and could have done to FSU.

Lu and Zarilli hit this **** out of the park.

It was almost comical the way we'd line up in power I then go immediately to spread shotgun on the next play after predictably running for 0 yards into the teeth of an 8 man front.

This is not a Power I team. That's why I never got all lathered up over the 280 pound FB. I don't think it's an RPO team either.

I think we're a shotgun spread team that should use Njoku and Herndon more against LBs and Safeties in the deep seams. Pass first. Spread em out and then gash the gaps with quick hitting run plays.

Advertisement
The middle of the field is being flat out IGNORED.

My kingdom for some crossing routes, digs, seams, and more slants. He basically chose to attack this FSU defense in the WORST possible way you can attack them....laterally. Bubbles, shotgun draws, and off tackles.

It's almost 4 in the morning and I'm sitting here still trying to process what I just saw. James Coley's offenses looked better against a more talented and cohesive FSU defensive unit.

He needs to temporarily hand off playcalling duties to Brown and then find a permanent solution at years end.

Yup, crossing routes are FSU's weakness and we didnt exploit it whatsoever

It's not like we didn't have film on that either...UNC ate them alive with it and Richt went the exact opposite. Smh...I still can't believe that we loss that game and how we lost it.

Richt isn't anywhere near being an elite coach. Absolutely nowhere near that whatsoever. Also I want to be crystal clear. This isn't some sore loser ****ed off fan knee jerk reaction. I didn't drink during the game and I'm stone cold sober now. There is no way to spin this outside of finding out Kaaya was playing with a concussion all game. James Carville himself couldn't spin this inexcusable abortion.

OK the OL sucks and your QB isn't mobile, can't throw on the run and folds up at the first sign of pressure. Yet this same QB can be deadly accurate at times and when given time can catch fire and carve up secondaries. If that is the hand you are dealt you game plan around it and make FSU pay for their aggressive play and garbage secondary. Everyone has lit up this crap defense. Everyone so far has made them look like a Junior college yet with the weapons we have we never threatened or tried to exploit their weaknesses. Never tried to exploit them down the middle with Njoku and Herndon when they had a WR(Lane) playing safety and true freshmen at CB? How can anyone defend this atrocious coaching performance. How can anyone just chalk this up as Richt having a bad game?

I like to think that I'm a reasonable man not given to the Monday morning rants typically associated with the irrational knee jerk hysteria seen after tough losses. This however was something all together different. This was one of the most inane, inept, incompetent and inexcusable game day coaching performances that I can remember and this is coming after 9 years of Shannon and Golden. This from a coach that averaged 10 wins a year in the SEC(yeah I said it). This from a coach that was the OC for one of the most potent and explosive offenses in the nation at FSU in the 90's. No, this game had a "This is who I am" vibe to it in terms of the play calling.

I have learned a ton about football and how important coaching is over the last 20 years. One of the biggest reasons I learned is that great head coaches are fairly easy to spot. A good coach doesn't lose to this fsu team with that mess of a defense and NFL talent on the offense at many positions. This was just a flat out disgrace. This was flat out incompetence plain as day. I've got to be honest with everyone here. If this is who Richt is then we will never win a conference much less a national title with him. If that is indeed the case then he can either admit it to himself and everyone else and hire an elite OC or he can get out of my face. Harsh you say? Yes it is! **** right it is but it's honest.

Heck of a post that...Good to see a thread that Isnt just full of nonsensical whiny drivel.

This exactly. It's either he didn't do his homework/lacked the capability to design an effective gameplan, or he was stubborn in his ways (what I mentioned before about his whole balance approach/style). I'm hoping it's the latter and not the former. If it's the latter, he could still potentially evolve his offense and come to the realization that a balanced approach might not be the best at all times. If it's the former, then we are ****ed, because it just simply means he's incompetent/not a very good play-caller. Or it could just be both...

I can't speak intelligently to what the **** the man was thinking. All I know is a football "civilian" like myself shouldn't be able to sit on my couch and predict with 90% accuracy what was coming based purely on personnel, down and distance, and our formation. Imagine what defensive coordinators that do that for a living spotted. They knew exactly when we were going to run...and they stacked 8 and 9 in the box. They knew exactly when a bubble was coming and walked a slot corner or linebacker directly over our slot receiver, taking away the numbers advantage.

All the while...no audibles or adjustments. We showed our hand pre snap, saw the way they were going to attack it....and simply ran the play right into it. Richt gave us no chance to succeed on several plays. We left plays all over that field last night.

Nobody despised Coley more than myself...but even his playcalling was more effective than what we saw last night.

It will be funny when wake forest racks up more yards and points than we did against this vaunted FSU defense

Advertisement
Agreed. Miami moved the ball when they went tempo. There were two penalties, one for lining up offsides and one false start, but they moved the ball. A slower game failed to move the ball. Anywhere.

Richt mentioned this in the postgame press conference.

He outcoached himself and played not to lose. And lost.

I am hoping he realizes this and comes out a tempo-based offense against UNC.

It was almost comical the way we'd line up in power I then go immediately to spread shotgun on the next play after predictably running for 0 yards into the teeth of an 8 man front.

This is not a Power I team. That's why I never got all lathered up over the 280 pound FB. I don't think it's an RPO team either.

I think we're a shotgun spread team that should use Njoku and Herndon more against LBs and Safeties in the deep seams. Pass first. Spread em out and then gash the gaps with quick hitting run plays.

You can't go power I when the other team knows you can't throw out of it or even go play action....I see no way we could get Kaaya a full drop from under center. I truly think he's more hurt than we know.

Oline is playing at a disadvantage because of how limited Kaaya is...there aren't many things we can do with him to help out the Oline.

I was really expecting/hoping to see some of the 'Fast Break' concept that FSU ran under Richt as their OC, where you saw 4 WR's on many sets, QB out of the gun and just letting Kaaya sling it early and a lot of outlet passes to our backs for 6,7 yards out in the flat.

That stuff last night was frustrating. Our Oline simply isn't good enough to consistently do what Richt was attempting to do

Those back to back runs on 1st and 20 after the penalty wiped out Walton's run was mind-boggling

Again, play to our personnel, not a set philosophy

Advertisement
Back