Grab Bag examples: I-Form and Coker-T in 4th

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Of the things I've been PM'd or messaged to answer, here's the one I'll start a thread on: playcalling specifics.

It was extremely odd to randomly see us go to Marquez Williams' I-Form late in the game. Then, later in that possession or perhaps a series later, we went Coker-T (2TE and FB). We ran each time. This was essentially what Coach Richt used to "stabilize" the offense? It was really odd, didn't have a positive effect, and we immediately went back to spread sets and trips.

My point is we saw legitimate grab bag behavior and it's a cause for concern in the upcoming games. There will be lots of speculation around why we did things the way we did against FSU. Honestly, I don't have great answers. We used almost all the formations I had seen and expected. We used a lot of the plays I hadnt yet seen in the first 4 games. Unfortunately, they didn't have much rhyme or rhythm.

I think the Tempo is currently forced. If you're out of rhythm, why continue to go no huddle? You're only hurrying a bad result.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm shook.

My only hope is Richt is still rusty with the playcalling, to which he's admitted a couple times.

There's no excuse for it. We let the Noles off the hook.

I can't understand how you couldn't target Lane and make them pay for having a WR playing safety.

Of the things I've been PM'd or messaged to answer, here's the one I'll start a thread on: playcalling specifics.

It was extremely odd to randomly see us go to Marquez Williams' I-Form late in the game. Then, later in that possession or perhaps a series later, we went Coker-T (2TE and FB). We ran each time. This was essentially what Coach Richt used to "stabilize" the offense? It was really odd, didn't have a positive effect, and we immediately went back to spread sets and trips.

My point is we saw legitimate grab bag behavior and it's a cause for concern in the upcoming games. There will be lots of speculation around why we did things the way we did against FSU. Honestly, I don't have great answers. We used almost all the formations I had seen and expected. We used a lot of the plays I hadnt yet seen. Unfortunately, they didn't have much rhyme or rhythm.

I think the Tempo is currently forced. If you're out of rhythm, why continue to go no huddle? You're only hurrying a bad result.

Lu,

I respect your analysis and your opinions and what you just posted is probably an extremely nice way of saying that Richt looked completely lost and in way over his head. That was honestly one of the most dreadful and abysmal coaching performances I have ever and I mean ever seen and could be the worst I've ever seen. I am in total and complete shock. Richt needs to hire an elite OC asap because this will not get it done.

I'm shook.

My only hope is Richt is still rusty with the playcalling, to which he's admitted a couple times.

There's no excuse for it. We let the Noles off the hook.

Rusty? Rusty with the play calling? That wasn't rusty. That was as incompetent and inept as I have ever seen and that's no exaggeration!

Advertisement

My point is we saw legitimate grab bag behavior and it's a cause for concern in the upcoming games. There will be lots of speculation around why we did things the way we did against FSU. Honestly, I don't have great answers. We used almost all the formations I had seen and expected. We used a lot of the plays I hadnt yet seen. Unfortunately, they didn't have much rhyme or rhythm.

Lu,

I respect your analysis and your opinions and what you just posted is probably an extremely nice way of saying that Richt looked completely lost and in way over his head. That was honestly one of the most dreadful and abysmal coaching performances I have ever and I mean ever seen and could be the worst I've ever seen. I am in total and complete shock. Richt needs to hire an elite OC asap because this will not get it done.

I said it in the broader Richt thread: it was poor night, no doubt. Hope he'd admit that himself. I don't think we'll have many explanations for what we saw. That was a vulnerable FSU team. When we went up 13-0 and even going into half 13-3, I said "ok, we come out and hang 24 on them in the second half." We'll win 37-17 or something.

I don't even really want to re-watch the game. Somewhere around 9 minutes in the 4th, I was at a loss for words. We have an NFL TE standing in the slot as a decoy. Makes me sad as ****.

Aside from his play calling at FSU, I think Richt has been incorrectly painted as an offensive guru. His numbers in his seven years at UGA were not very impressive.

Better to acknowledge it now than to go down the excuses route like we all did for previous coaches. IMO Richt isnt rusty, I think he's just not as good of a play caller as we hoped.

My point is we saw legitimate grab bag behavior and it's a cause for concern in the upcoming games. There will be lots of speculation around why we did things the way we did against FSU. Honestly, I don't have great answers. We used almost all the formations I had seen and expected. We used a lot of the plays I hadnt yet seen in the first 4 games. Unfortunately, they didn't have much rhyme or rhythm.

I think the Tempo is currently forced. If you're out of rhythm, why continue to go no huddle? You're only hurrying a bad result<----- THIS! It's like dawg you do know we haven't converted in 3rd the whole 2nd half, and they scoring. Slow the **** down on 3rd down and keep the chains moving.. I didn't get it.

The middle of the field is being flat out IGNORED.

My kingdom for some crossing routes, digs, seams, and more slants. He basically chose to attack this FSU defense in the WORST possible way you can attack them....laterally. Bubbles, shotgun draws, and off tackles.

It's almost 4 in the morning and I'm sitting here still trying to process what I just saw. James Coley's offenses looked better against a more talented and cohesive FSU defensive unit.

He needs to temporarily hand off playcalling duties to Brown and then find a permanent solution at years end.

Advertisement

My kingdom for some crossing routes, digs, seams, and more slants. He basically chose to attack this FSU defense in the WORST possible way you can attack them....laterally. Bubbles, shotgun draws, and off tackles.

It's almost 4 in the morning and I'm sitting here still trying to process what I just saw. James Coley's offenses looked better against a more talented and cohesive FSU defensive unit.

He needs to temporarily hand off playcalling duties to Brown and then find a permanent solution at years end.

Yup, crossing routes are FSU's weakness and we didnt exploit it whatsoever

It's not like we didn't have film on that either...UNC ate them alive with it and Richt went the exact opposite. Smh...I still can't believe that we loss that game and how we lost it.

Very disappointing use of '12' personnel today, maybe one catch between Njoku and Herndon. Similar to the Patriots one would think we could create some mismatches with linebackers using this.

I also had high hopes for play action when Richt took over.....but no.

Do we even have a 21 package??? I don't think I have seen Walton and Yearby on the field together once, im not a huge fan but its just a different look to maybe get one of them on a linebacker on a wheel route or something. I recall last year both showed they can make plays down field on something other than just simple screens.

Advertisement

It's not like we didn't have film on that either...UNC ate them alive with it and Richt went the exact opposite. Smh...I still can't believe that we loss that game and how we lost it.

Richt isn't anywhere near being an elite coach. Absolutely nowhere near that whatsoever. Also I want to be crystal clear. This isn't some sore loser ****ed off fan knee jerk reaction. I didn't drink during the game and I'm stone cold sober now. There is no way to spin this outside of finding out Kaaya was playing with a concussion all game. James Carville himself couldn't spin this inexcusable abortion.

OK the OL sucks and your QB isn't mobile, can't throw on the run and folds up at the first sign of pressure. Yet this same QB can be deadly accurate at times and when given time can catch fire and carve up secondaries. If that is the hand you are dealt you game plan around it and make FSU pay for their aggressive play and garbage secondary. Everyone has lit up this crap defense. Everyone so far has made them look like a Junior college yet with the weapons we have we never threatened or tried to exploit their weaknesses. Never tried to exploit them down the middle with Njoku and Herndon when they had a WR(Lane) playing safety and true freshmen at CB? How can anyone defend this atrocious coaching performance. How can anyone just chalk this up as Richt having a bad game?

I like to think that I'm a reasonable man not given to the Monday morning rants typically associated with the irrational knee jerk hysteria seen after tough losses. This however was something all together different. This was one of the most inane, inept, incompetent and inexcusable game day coaching performances that I can remember and this is coming after 9 years of Shannon and Golden. This from a coach that averaged 10 wins a year in the SEC(yeah I said it). This from a coach that was the OC for one of the most potent and explosive offenses in the nation at FSU in the 90's. No, this game had a "This is who I am" vibe to it in terms of the play calling.

I have learned a ton about football and how important coaching is over the last 20 years. One of the biggest reasons I learned is that great head coaches are fairly easy to spot. A good coach doesn't lose to this fsu team with that mess of a defense and NFL talent on the offense at many positions. This was just a flat out disgrace. This was flat out incompetence plain as day. I've got to be honest with everyone here. If this is who Richt is then we will never win a conference much less a national title with him. If that is indeed the case then he can either admit it to himself and everyone else and hire an elite OC or he can get out of my face. Harsh you say? Yes it is! **** right it is but it's honest.

My God....the overreaction in here....knew this would happen if we lost....there were mistakes all over the place, now going to fly the banner because a PAT got blocked....ill get on the negative train if this happens the next two weeks

My God....the overreaction in here....knew this would happen if we lost....there were mistakes all over the place, now going to fly the banner because a PAT got blocked....ill get on the negative train if this happens the next two weeks

I also think much of it stems from the fact that it got to the point on this board that if someone expressed a valid concern about this game or in general that poster would be negged to death and called soft. After years of going through a parade of coaching clowns I was and will still be behind Richt because I don't want to be miserable and Richt is an upgrade overall.

The fact is that many here saw the potential problems looming with this offense but were quickly censored in favor of the company line du jour which was that we were holding back the "real offense" or some other such nonsense. This entire offense has been disjointed from the second game on against anyone with a pulse. We were held to 19 points by a defense that hasn't been able to stop a nose bleed prior to this game. Richt underachieved in stunning fashion relative to the weapons he has on offense. That's the point you're missing. We should have never been in position to have to tie the game at the end.

Last edited:
Advertisement

You have no receivers

It's easy to blame Richt and talk about the play calling becuase the plays didn't work. But how can anyone ignore how bad this Oline is?

Jimbo fisher didn't make any huge adjustments at half time. They primary ran it when under center as well. But he looks like a genius becuase we couldn't stop it for less than a 4 yard gain. And he occasionally called PA becuase you have to commit to stopping dalvin cook.

I hear that you said the plays he called had no rhym or reason but at that point I think he was looking for anything that our team could run effectively. We just don't have elite players. Our WRs and TE were blanketed all night.

Everyone keeps saying run crossing routes, they take time to develop and the oline sucks.

our top 2 offensive players (Kayaa and coley) are overrated. Neither one of them forces the defense to play a certain way which opens up other areas of the field and the offense for these "genius" play calls everyone is expecting.

Richt isn't perfect and I'm sure there are a lot of plays he wants back but you don't have to be super aggressive offensively to win these games Nick saban has proven that.

Last edited:

Lol

Special teams looked great tonight!

I even think we managed to get one of our WR a penalty on a punt return!

Advertisement
Back