Grab Bag examples: I-Form and Coker-T in 4th

It's easy to blame Richt and talk about the play calling becuase the plays didn't work. But how can anyone ignore how bad this Oline is?

Jimbo fisher didn't make any huge adjustments at half time. They primary ran it when under center as well. But he looks like a genius becuase we couldn't stop it for less than a 4 yard gain. And he occasionally called PA becuase you have to commit to stopping dalvin cook.

I hear that you said the plays he called had no rhym or reason but at that point I think he was looking for anything that our team could run effectively. We just don't have elite players. Our WRs and TE were blanketed all night.

Everyone keeps saying run crossing routes, they take time to develop and the oline sucks.

our top 2 offensive players (Kayaa and coley) are overrated. Neither one of them forces the defense to play a certain way which opens up other areas of the field and the offense for these "genius" play calls everyone is expecting.

Richt isn't perfect and I'm sure there are a lot of plays he wants back but you don't have to be super aggressive offensively to win these games Nick saban has proven that.

Spot tf on. The knee jerk reactions to the playcalling is really exposing the dumbazzez on here.

This is funny. "Hey, the OL was bad" is the classic shallow analysis and to call others "dumbazzez" is the perfect double down. Our OL was far more troubled last year and we still were more effective against a tougher defense. Wait for it: later it's said it's on the players being overrated.

Some of you really can't stand to place accountability on coaches making millions of dollars a year. The guy said himself he was rusty and would take some stuff back. Objectively, his sets were all over the place at really critical times of the game. Your answer to that is "he was trying anything that worked."

The funny thing is no one asked him to be "super aggressive." His offense had no rhythm, no timing, and failed to attack FSU's biggest weaknesses. You don't need a ridiculous amount of time to attack the seams and FSU dropped a S down enough to play single high with a weak Safety in the middle of the field. That's not playing the result. That's saying we didn't even TRY to attack the middle of the field or do some of the things that had already killed FSU earlier this season.

"WRs and TEs were blanketed all night." Yes, that's what happens when you play Berrios in the SE or ask Herndon to beat a Nickel corner on outbreaking routes. Poor attacks lead to poor results.

It was a poorly called game. Maybe he improves; or maybe he doubles down and tries to turn our OL into a power run unit regardless of opponent or disadvantage. But, to whitewash Richt's first time calling a big game for us and lay the blame on "everything OL" and "overrated players" smells a lot like what was said about past coaches.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's easy to blame Richt and talk about the play calling becuase the plays didn't work. But how can anyone ignore how bad this Oline is?

Jimbo fisher didn't make any huge adjustments at half time. They primary ran it when under center as well. But he looks like a genius becuase we couldn't stop it for less than a 4 yard gain. And he occasionally called PA becuase you have to commit to stopping dalvin cook.

I hear that you said the plays he called had no rhym or reason but at that point I think he was looking for anything that our team could run effectively. We just don't have elite players. Our WRs and TE were blanketed all night.

Everyone keeps saying run crossing routes, they take time to develop and the oline sucks.

our top 2 offensive players (Kayaa and coley) are overrated. Neither one of them forces the defense to play a certain way which opens up other areas of the field and the offense for these "genius" play calls everyone is expecting.

Richt isn't perfect and I'm sure there are a lot of plays he wants back but you don't have to be super aggressive offensively to win these games Nick saban has proven that.

Spot tf on. The knee jerk reactions to the playcalling is really exposing the dumbazzez on here.

This is funny. "Hey, the OL was bad" is the classic shallow analysis and to call others "dumbazzez" is the perfect double down. Our OL was far more troubled last year and we still were more effective against a tougher defense. Wait for it: later it's said it's on the players being overrated.

Some of you really can't stand to place accountability on coaches making millions of dollars a year. The guy said himself he was rusty and would take some stuff back. Objectively, his sets were all over the place at really critical times of the game. Your answer to that is "he was trying anything that worked."

The funny thing is no one asked him to be "super aggressive." His offense had no rhythm, no timing, and failed to attack FSU's biggest weaknesses. You don't need a ridiculous amount of time to attack the seams and FSU dropped a S down enough to play single high with a weak Safety in the middle of the field. That's not playing the result. That's saying we didn't even TRY to attack the middle of the field or do some of the things that had already killed FSU earlier this season.

"WRs and TEs were blanketed all night." Yes, that's what happens when you play Berrios in the SE or ask Herndon to beat a Nickel corner on outbreaking routes. Poor attacks lead to poor results.

It was a poorly called game. Maybe he improves; or maybe he doubles down and tries to turn our OL into a power run unit regardless of opponent or disadvantage. But, to whitewash Richt's first time calling a big game for us and lay the blame on "everything OL" and "overrated players" smells a lot like what was said about past coaches.

I agree, can't give Richt a pass, it wasn't a good game for him play calling wise. I believe the OL and Kaaya's mobility along with his play calling rust just added up to a perfect storm for us and we were exposed. Look back at the FAU game first half and GT, it's telling, the OL is having issues with pass blocking and Kaaya's lack of mobility to extend most plays hurts. Now, like you said, the man is making $4million + and it's on him to find a solution at the end of the day. Like Coker was with Berlin his first year, stubbornly/continually putting him under center, Richt needs to keep doing what Kaaya does best even if it's limited to only a few sets.

That part in bold right there. That's what's alarming. Sitting here and saying well our oline isn't great, doesn't excuse not even trying the things that killed FSU this year. There's no excuse for that.

Good post

We lost and that is the only thing that matters. This is unacceptable. Mark will be very short-lived here if he doesn't get better and fast. This was his moment to shine and he did not, period. He is an long term experienced SEC coach from major power but some two-bit smuck shower-boy. You cannot excuse him and put on the players. I am not going to trash him because he is light-years ahead of what we had, but he has to do better and he has to do so on Miami time, not fsu or uga time. That means now not 5 years from now.

You had UM going 12-0?

Actually after seeing ND collapse, yes I did. I see that was silly now, but it was NOT our freshmen or defense that lost that game. Noles had one player on that field better than all ours, Cook although Corn might end up making more money than him by the end of their careers. But we had more players you will see on Sunday than them.

Of the things I've been PM'd or messaged to answer, here's the one I'll start a thread on: playcalling specifics.

It was extremely odd to randomly see us go to Marquez Williams' I-Form late in the game. Then, later in that possession or perhaps a series later, we went Coker-T (2TE and FB). We ran each time. This was essentially what Coach Richt used to "stabilize" the offense? It was really odd, didn't have a positive effect, and we immediately went back to spread sets and trips.

My point is we saw legitimate grab bag behavior and it's a cause for concern in the upcoming games. There will be lots of speculation around why we did things the way we did against FSU. Honestly, I don't have great answers. We used almost all the formations I had seen and expected. We used a lot of the plays I hadnt yet seen. Unfortunately, they didn't have much rhyme or rhythm.

I think the Tempo is currently forced. If you're out of rhythm, why continue to go no huddle? You're only hurrying a bad result.

Lu,

I respect your analysis and your opinions and what you just posted is probably an extremely nice way of saying that Richt looked completely lost and in way over his head. That was honestly one of the most dreadful and abysmal coaching performances I have ever and I mean ever seen and could be the worst I've ever seen. I am in total and complete shock. Richt needs to hire an elite OC asap because this will not get it done.

I respectfully disagree. I think he called a poor game, too predictable however some of that has to be him knowing where we did and didn't have a talent advantage. As for hiring an elite play caller A. We already broke the bank to pay guys like coach Kool and others. B. Richt IS an elite play caller. Look at what he did with Charlie Ward and FSU. This was his first real live action test, if he's not killing it by game 8 or 10 I will concede your point. One thing I loved tho, the first successful RB screen since 2002. Need lots more of that.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back