GOP Tax Plan Consequences To 2019 Ticket Prices?

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
All politics aside, this will probably raise overall ticket pricing if the tax incentives are stripped from the Hurricane Club donations- especially on the higher level required donations to buy the more premium season tickets.

From the Hurricane Club earlier this week:

20171219_150126.jpg

From Rovell today:

[TWEET]943205700284698625[/TWEET]

Last edited:
Advertisement
Let's please not ruin a great football blog the same way George Lucas ruined the Star Wars prequels, by debating tax law.:bobross:

Let's please not ruin a great football blog the same way George Lucas ruined the Star Wars prequels, by debating tax law.:bobross:

Yeahhhh, I'd *hope this could just pertain to the ramifications to program funding and ticket pricing. It is kind of a big deal in relation to the way football programs and college athletics fundraise. That said, I'm a tax cut guy but I'll personally punch a fool if they come in here spouting off about corporate tax rates or child tax credits.

You're naive if you don't think UM is going to cite this when they release the 2019 ticket prices.

"Due to unexpected consequences of the current tax code upon Hurricane Club donations, you may notice a price change in your 2019 season ticket renewal application...."

Last edited:
The impact for the school is indirect. It really comes down to how much people value their seats vs how many people just want the tax write off.

If people continue to make the seating donations, nothing changes.

Advertisement

Yeahhhh, I'd *hope this could just pertain to the ramifications to program funding and ticket pricing. It is kind of a big deal in relation to the way football programs and college athletics fundraise. That said, I'm a tax cut guy but I'll personally punch a fool if they come in here spouting off about corporate tax rates or child tax credits.

Just yanking your chain, OP. On the real tho, I bet you Florida residents have to love that they're dropping the state income tax deduction. No reason at all for Florida residents, who pay no state income taxes, to subsidize state taxes on the federal level...wait...see...this is why you don't bring it up.

I’m not changing my donation regardless.

I’ll donate more.

/end thread

I'm with you. Any real fan/alum has always donated based on the product on the field and/or their perception of the direction of the program. This issue is legitimate though because that real fan criteria isn't universally applicable to everyone in every fanbase- especially a lot of those in the wine & cheese club level/suite crowd.

Last edited:
It will probably only affect the high end donations but most of those people can afford to not worry about the tax break. It is crazy the cost of some donations though, my endzone suite is only $700 per ticket but $1150 donation. To move to the sideline, it's 25k and the champions suite, it's 55k.

Advertisement
It will probably only affect the high end donations but most of those people can afford to not worry about the tax break. It is crazy the cost of some donations though, my endzone suite is only $700 per ticket but $1150 donation. To move to the sideline, it's 25k and the champions suite, it's 55k.

Pretty much the reason I posted- Miami (and a ton of other programs) have heavily structured their ticketing around the mandatory donations. I'm reallllllly surprised that college athletics wasn't able to lobby this out of the final tax bill. Seems grossly negligent by them.

They can figure out other ways for those people to donate that are tax deductible that aren’t directly tied to the tickets. I’m talking for the few that donate in the 50k and up per year range that do it mainly for the tax deduction. It can’t be that many. They’ll figure it out.

Advertisement
This type of post should ban op for life

You should be banned from society for not maintaining a minute level of cognitive dissonance.

Blatant political posts on football board? Bad. Post about political event that may have some consequence upon football team board is dedicated to? Acceptable.

The e-mail I received from UM also urges season ticket holders to purchase their season tickets before the new year, to maximize the tax benefit (for one more season) in the event the bill is made into law.

The e-mail I received from UM also urges season ticket holders to purchase their season tickets before the new year, to maximize the tax benefit (for one more season) in the event the bill is made into law.

yes how would half the people who donate $150 eat if they couldn't write that off

Advertisement
It is a tax writeoff that needs to go away. Better to lower tax rates and reduce the writeoffs. Good plan. with more tax free dollars in peoples hands more people will buy tickets. Some may cancel tickets if they lose the deduction. Over all it is good.

It sucks, but writing off a large portion of our season tickets was a gravy train that was bound to end at some point. It doesn't impact me either way, I will still renew my seats and probably have a sour puss face for about 2 minutes after I do it. It will all be better when we rip the face masks off of FSU and crap all over Young William.

You're naive if you don't think UM is going to cite this when they release the 2019 ticket prices.

"Due to unexpected consequences of the current tax code upon Hurricane Club donations, you may notice a price change in your 2019 season ticket renewal application...."

I have never been a fan of requiring donations to buy tickets, so I like it if if killed the whole concept. It impacts the mix and type of fan coming to the games. While, back in the day I wrote many a very large check to The U, I have never been comfortable sitting at games with most of my fellow big donors. I had some high end season tickets that I usually gave away for business reasons but I personally sat almost exclusively in the West end zone. I've always had friends in low places I guess. I grew up poor and as they say, poor never leaves you.

Advertisement
Back