Golden takes blame, then doesn't and bashes players again...

Paul Johnson:

"My big goal is to simplify and see if we can't get lined up and play faster, play harder," Johnson said. "I don't think you've got to trick people. You've got to line up and know what you're doing and play fast."

Groh installed the 3-4 when he got to Georgia Tech, but it was clear the players never fully picked up the scheme. Also, there was a difference in philosophy with Johnson, who felt Groh didn't do enough full-speed work in practice.

"To me, defense is energy and playing fast and playing with enthusiasm," Johnson said. "It's hard to get that if you don't go live (full-speed drills) some of the time."

While Johnson's focus has been on running the option offense, he believes the Yellow Jackets have plenty of talent on the defensive side.

"I'm not sold that we don't have good players," he said. "I'm very confident in our players' ability. We'll see."

Johnson praised Groh's defensive knowledge, but said he was never able to pass it on to his players.

"Al is a very smart man. He understands what's inside his head," Johnson said. "The problem is we weren't seeing it on the field. For whatever reason, it wasn't transcending."

That left the head coach with only one option -- make a change.

***** you Al Grohlden

Has anyone taken the time to compare the defensive numbers of GT while Groh was there to the numbers since he hasn't been there?

I was thinking about that this morning as Capt. Curtis was once again defending Gilden and his boyfriend.

Advertisement
So, If I was to use a situation to try to **** on AG I would NOT use Paul Johnsons! LOL

If you read between the lines that says one thing
"It was either fire him or we all get fired and it was him!"

Golden's position is clear to me. He is fully invested in this scheme and is married to it because IN THEORY it works. So if, like Al, you begin and end with the premise that this scheme works you are able to ignore:

1. that it didn't work at GT under its creator, Groh
2. that it hasn't worked in 4 years here against any quality opponent
3. that top 20 recruiting classes should NEVER equate to bottom 20 performance on the field with even average coaching
4. that quality teams have and will continue to exploit this scheme by creating numbers advantages, exposing the interior flaws of the 2 gap
concept and easily converting the 3rd and shorts that this scheme consistently allows.

This is why his responses are generally the same after each 500 yard catastrophe. It's never the fact that ALL evidence points to a fatally flawed scheme. Instead the blame game goes:

1. I take full responsibility (for not properly teaching these guys, who don't have the football IQ and/or lack the particular skills I and the scheme need)
2. It's a process/we have to do a better job as a team (point to issues on offense that led to the failures on defense)
3. Cite gimmicky stats that give the appearance of progress.

These fallacies and charades must stop if we are ever going to field a sound defensive team. If he allows this defense to play the way the team's DNA is predisposed to play, we would see immediate improvement.

this defensive scheme even at it's best and "executed properly" is just average. the results are average and it's predicated on hoping the other team makes mistakes. the best Al Golden's defense has looked was that one year at Virginia and if you watch the highlights it just doesn't impress. i'm truly puzzled when trying to see where his overwhelming confidence in his defense comes from bc historically it just hasn't been good.

Advertisement
Seriously, kill this ****er already...

We have to do a lot of things differently starting with me, the way we're practicing. Whatever changes we have to make schematically, whatever personnel changes, maybe we need to see this player more than another player. We need to tackle better, generate more losses, both sacks and TFL's. And just in general everyone just execute the defense as it's called….

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

Yeah, he's FOS in changing the scheme. You see where his head is at - he basically sticking with the scheme since the play called is good - it's the execution that's off.

I can see him weasily explain how he's changing scheme by calling out some small nuance in the defense.

Nick saban can say the sky is red and i will believe him without looking up the dude know his stuff if folden told me the same thing i would slap his stubborn ***..

Advertisement
He's gonna stack the box against duke for a few plays, if it fails, which it will, he will say see, I stacked the box and they scored a long touchdown. The guy is completely over his head. He has not properly developed his players and has confused them so thoroughly that hes got kids that would have been studs had they went to other programs look pedestrian.

Man, if I got paid $500,000/yr to manage 11 people, they would be getting the job done all day everyday!

If not, how long would I last by just blaming my 11 employees for my department's failures?

Advertisement
Seriously, kill this ****er already...

We have to do a lot of things differently starting with me, the way we're practicing. Whatever changes we have to make schematically, whatever personnel changes, maybe we need to see this player more than another player. We need to tackle better, generate more losses, both sacks and TFL's. And just in general everyone just execute the defense as it's called….

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

Well ok, then.....

The damning line is the "execute the defense as it's called". Once again passing it off on the players by intimating the calls are good and the players are t executing. This guy is such a loser.

Now, now, I am sure every that defense that's called, has a theoretical circumstance where the player makes the play. I would go so far to say that IF, Big Daddy was at NT, Maryland and Jerome at DTs with The Mad Stork and Lawrence Talyor at DE/OLBs, Ray and Morgan at MLB, Reed and ST at safety, couple of our old school CBs, then this defense might actually work. Of course, it would be because those guys would ignore everything the coaches said and attack the other figgin team, punishing RBs, breaking QB legs, and beating the living crap out of any WR trying to cross the LOS. Oh, I forgot mention that no TE would ever come down the middle a second time in the game. I am assuming Al would not bench them for making tackles behind the LOS instead of dancing with the oline. That is a big assumption. I still maintain that Ed Reed would have never been heard of if Al was his coach. He would have rode the pine for freelancing.

giphy.gif

Advertisement
Is it any coincidence that GT's defensive performance has improved dramatically since Groh's dumb *** was canned there?

Paul Johnson should shut the f' up and this is not in defense of Al Groh. Georgia Tech was #44 in total defense and #60 in scoring defense in 2011. During the 2012 season Groh was fired, Tech finished #43 in total defense and #65 in scoring defense. Last year, Tech finished #40 in total defense and #68 in scoring defense. This year Tech is #97 in total defense and #75 in scoring defense. From 2010-2013, he is 28-25. He's 4-0 but another mid-season collapse and he's going to get canned.

Lots of very good teams run 3-4 in college, but they run it a **** of a lot better than we do.

The only teams ranked in the top 15 that I know run a variation of the 3-4 are ND, ALA, and USCe. If I missed anyone by all means correct me. Lets not act like the 3-4 is running rampant all over college football like the Zone Read option or the Spread option. Teams know that running a 3-4 is very difficult and why bother with all that when you can just kill cats running the 4-3? Ask FSU.

If after three years you can't find the right guys for your scheme, and you can't properly teach them to execute it correctly, YOU'RE THE PROBLEM.

Is it any coincidence that GT's defensive performance has improved dramatically since Groh's dumb *** was canned there?

I don't think it has. But that's more fodder for those of us who think we need to get rid of the HC El Foldo just like GT needs to get rid of Johnson. When the HC and his systems suck, you can scapegoat assistants till you're blue in the face, and it doesn't work.

Advertisement
Back