Golden ruined a stud career

None of our CB's look good when they are playing 15 yds off the ball.

As much as i hate this defense, the whole 15 yrd thing every team does, we actually played a good amount of press last year, with how offenses are its really hard to play press man, been seeing a lot of teams straying from it, now spot dropping zones and putting LBs in man coverage against slots is a different convo

Advertisement
Let's say he was overrated and not fast enough. Lets say our HC can't close on recruiting classes, can't beat top 20 teams and is schematically archaic. Then both should be replaced by people that are better. Fire Al Goldin, keep Howard and let a real coach put him position to makes play not react after first down catches.

Anyone remember Bakas and Fish arguing this one? Got a little nasty, but i think Mike called this one pretty well.

As much as i hate this defense, the whole 15 yrd thing every team does, we actually played a good amount of press last year, with how offenses are its really hard to play press man, been seeing a lot of teams straying from it, now spot dropping zones and putting LBs in man coverage against slots is a different convo

Only pressed on Duke, Cincy, Pitt. Maybe a few others. Other than that it was soft zone

Advertisement
Still waiting on a DB to press and jump an out route and take it to the house! Smh

funny enough tracy did this vs UVA. as much as people on down on him he's the only cb that's even remotely resembled a good cover corner his soph year. tackling is overrated for the position. that's like being the dline man with the best coverage skills.

Difference between 4.2 and 4.6 is literally about a foot....

Some of you guys have to get out and be active. For a cb smarts and RECOVERY speed is most important. You are reacting to the WR . smarts then short area quickness and then recovery speed

well u can say Artie Burns was overrated then too. in defense of our cb's, its hard to play cb when your DL get no pressure at all.
bottom line, williams should be gone. we would clean up south florida recruits if he left.

Well Howard may not be aggressive in the run game he's the kind of CB that would benefit from playing close to the LOS and jamming WR's. He's got better ball skills than any CB we have on the roster and I think a lot of the reason for his struggle and lack of PT is the fact that he has had issues with the coaches.

Advertisement
well u can say Artie Burns was overrated then too. in defense of our cb's, its hard to play cb when your DL get no pressure at all.
bottom line, williams should be gone. we would clean up south florida recruits if he left.

Agree that it would also help if we let the DL actuaclly get after the QB.

Howard is a tick slower than the elite corners, but you can bet your *** if he had gone to UiF like we all were afraid he would be an All Conference guy and a high round draft pick.

And, instead of getting the pick that sealed the win over the Gators, he probably would have taken Hurns out of the game and we wouldn't have had the only moment that we can be proud of in the past 5 years.

Wouldn't be surprised if he shines like Chick did in the senior bowl etc. seems to be a trend with us over the past few years

Only pressed on Duke, Cincy, Pitt. Maybe a few others. Other than that it was soft zone

FSU too we pressed a lot in that game, depended on the teams we played

Advertisement
Well Howard may not be aggressive in the run game he's the kind of CB that would benefit from playing close to the LOS and jamming WR's. He's got better ball skills than any CB we have on the roster and I think a lot of the reason for his struggle and lack of PT is the fact that he has had issues with the coaches.

He would get shredded in press

I remember when he started running with the 1's as a Freshman there was a huge debate about if his speed was going to be a problem or not.

I don't think coaching & scheme have done him any favors, but Howard's lack of size & athleticism meant his ceiling wasn't very high to begin with IMO.

He's been solid - but the recruiting services just universally overrated him.

I disagree. We have seen too little of it to give you examples but he could more than hold up pressing at the LOS and despite his pedetrian 40 if you disrupt the WR's route you have much less of a chance that the ball is going to your side of the field.

Advertisement
Still waiting on a DB to press and jump an out route and take it to the house! Smh

funny enough tracy did this vs UVA. as much as people on down on him he's the only cb that's even remotely resembled a good cover corner his soph year. tackling is overrated for the position. that's like being the dline man with the best coverage skills.

First play of the game. Also remember Gunter housing one against GT the play after McCord destroyed Justin Thomas.

/ that's about it

I disagree. We have seen too little of it to give you examples but he could more than hold up pressing at the LOS and despite his pedetrian 40 if you disrupt the WR's route you have much less of a chance that the ball is going to your side of the field.

You put him against a big wideout in press he would get destroyed on the line, imagine him against a treadwell in press he would get hammered

Advertisement
Back