Golden Quote of Recruiting

Ethnicsands

All-American
The recent commitments change my perspective a bit on ag's recruiting philosophy.

I viewed him as big on evaluations and willing to go his own way, certainly, and clearly looking for certain personal traits (work ethic, character). But I also thought he was operating strategically under the circumstances (threat of sanctions, decade of suckiness). I stopped short of thinking he was recruiting the way he would under different circumstances.

I now suspect that he's recruiting to his philosophy, and circumstances are less the driving force than I had thought. IMO AG's pursuing an interesting strategy. He's recruiting at Miami the way he did at Temple, and UVA, which is truly doing his own evaluations, just looking for kids he can mesh, who he sees upside in. This is what all mid major programs and lower tier BCS programs have to do. When done right, its why clearly less talented teams can play with clearly more talented teams. What's interesting to me is if he's good at it, he'll have the most talented version of that type of team you can expect to see -- picking those types of kids from Florida and sprinkling in some from elsewhere, and peppering in a few highly acclaimed kids because they want to be at UM.

If this is true, then even if he gets us back to winning, I think we should expect fewer nfl star type kids. We'll get some, but I think he's just looking for a different type of kid, and a different mix. And if he's not so good at it, well, we'll be mediocre for sure.

That said, separate point/question: curious to know what people predict for the kids ag's taken commitments from so far. I'm grouping them into four categories: a) out of nowhere; b) modestly recruited; c) solidly recruited and/or talented (high 3* to low 4*) and d) highly sought after. I'm measuring these standards at the time we took the commitment.

Out of nowhere: d. Jones, j. Carter, l. Hope, g. Terry, r. Southward, holifield, crow, Witt, o'donnell. Arguably the last three could move up a category.

Modestly recruited: Jenkins, hoilett, flowers, dortch, gadbois, burgess, v. Davis, Dillard, Moore, waters.

Solidly recruited: Kirby, leggett, m. Lewis, norrup, p. Dewey.

Highly assessed: d. Johnson, ajl, j. Hamilton. Arguably ajl and Hamilton go down a category here.

Are there kids in the lower two categories that people feel confident will become difference makers, or even starters? IMO, Jenkins, Hoilett, Flowers, Dortch, Gadbois and Waters have the best chances from that group.

Advertisement
I love the way we've recruited this year. The Shapiro thing really hurt us with a lot of the bigger name kids and it doesn't help that apparently we aren't very well liked by Good Council's staff for some reason.

Love a lot of the local takes. I think we're gonna get 1 or 2 of the big names though. Garnett really likes us and I'm still holding out hope for Diggs.

Shapiro hurt us and we are scraping the bottom of the god**** barrel. We're turning into a better branded version of FAU.

I love how most of our fans believe that we should be bringing in nothing but 4 and 5 star kids because we are Miami. The last time Miami won a national championship, these kids were 6, 7 and 8 years old. The last time Miami played in a BCS game, they were 9, 10 and 11 years old. Barely into middle school, that's the last time Miami was making noise nationally. Meanwhile, UF has won two national championships while these kids were in high school. The SEC has played in every single national title game since these kids were in 7th grade. Miami has lost 30 games from the time these kids were in 7th grade. We're a small private school that, unless you grew up loving Miami, is no different than any other mediocre school in a basketball conference.

Does that mean it has to stay that way? Absolutely not. But you've got to build a winner first. Al Golden knows in order to do so, this team has to get tough, hard-working kids that are going to fight their *** off to win football games. That's where we are at as far as a football program.

Advertisement
Josh Witt will have 350 career tackles here. He will be beloved and have an awesome nick name before its all said and done. baller.

If you look at the "Outta Da Woodwerks" recruits...they follow a theme, mostly.

Of the 9 you listed...7 are in-state...most of the 9 camped at Miami in the summer. These, if they are "reaches", are at least educated reaches.

With all that said...I do believe that Miami's stock as a brand is as low as it has been since the late 70's. Gotta rebuild with the right types of guys. You'll get some home town studs...Duke Johnson for example (similarly to the way we landed Lester Williams locally as a local 5* kid back in the day)...that gets the ball rolling. Now, win...bigger recruits come...especially locally.

Last edited:
Shapiro hurt us and we are scraping the bottom of the god**** barrel. We're turning into a better branded version of FAU.
We get it....you dont like Golden so you can stop repeating the same crap every post

Obviously you don't get it. I do like Golden, I just think he needs to quit trying to be Mr. Clever. He also needs to remember that what won at Temple won't win at Miami.

Advertisement
Sounds like most people think he's taking what he can get because our brand is down. I am suggesting he's going after just the type of kids he wants.

Sounds like most people think he's taking what he can get because our brand is down. I am suggesting he's going after just the type of kids he wants.

I disagree to an extent. Golden strikes me as the type of guy who only likes girls who don't realize they are hot. While that works for some, there are going to be plenty of humble fat chicks in a girdle.

Advertisement
I love how most of our fans believe that we should be bringing in nothing but 4 and 5 star kids because we are Miami. The last time Miami won a national championship, these kids were 6, 7 and 8 years old. The last time Miami played in a BCS game, they were 9, 10 and 11 years old. Barely into middle school, that's the last time Miami was making noise nationally. Meanwhile, UF has won two national championships while these kids were in high school. The SEC has played in every single national title game since these kids were in 7th grade. Miami has lost 30 games from the time these kids were in 7th grade. We're a small private school that, unless you grew up loving Miami, is no different than any other mediocre school in a basketball conference.

Does that mean it has to stay that way? Absolutely not. But you've got to build a winner first. Al Golden knows in order to do so, this team has to get tough, hard-working kids that are going to fight their *** off to win football games. That's where we are at as far as a football program.

I get what you're saying, but FSU is not too far off from what you've described yet they keep racking up bigtime kids. Plus, this is kind of a strawman argument. Some of these kids are literally BARELY being recruited. There's a lot of room between 5 star and some of our guys. It's going to be interesting to see how this turns out. I hope like **** AL is right.

I don't think its as easy as "getting what he can" and/or "getting who he wants"...I think its both. He's not taking guys just to take guys...he's getting guys he and the staff are evaluating in several environments...but at the same time, he has to fill a class of what he believes is 35 and its not exactly easy to recruit at Miami like it used to be, so, there is going to be some players that might be questionable or players that are being recruited by lower end schools. We're not going to get 35 high end three, four, and five star recruits whether that is what Golden wants or not.

With that said, you don't take guys like Jantavious Carter, D'Mauri Jones, Ereck Flowers, Witt and Gray Crow when we took them, without feeling confident on some level in their future role on the team. And we took a lot of the "outta da woodwerks" players like O'Donnell, Hope, Hollifield, etc after seeing them up close and in person at camp...most of them being the MVP at their respective groups at the camp.

Funny enough, players like Carter, Jones, Flowers, and Witt, while early offers and commits, and potentially questionable at the time by the masses because they were unknowns, have had very very very good senior seasons to justify those offers, IMO.

Last edited:
we have some STUDS in this class.
- Like stated i like that the "reaches' were guys they got to eyeball for 3-4 days in person...these were guys that earned their schollie...unlike randy/coker reaching off word of mouth from one of their homeboys.
- The size of these guys..were getting back to bringing in guys with mass...the only slight guys we have are a few of our cbs...Flowers/Gadbois are some grown *** men. Northrup/Kirby/Witt can play right away if need be....all of the wr's have size.
-I'm giving him a pass on a few guys....because their are 1-2 head scratchers...but it seems to be ALOT more organized...that "CORE VALUE" thing he speaks about...he seems to seek out of his recruits....This guy Gabe Terry we just got...this kid will run through a wall right now because hes a guy who had to earn a schollie work his way to get here...he wont come in with an ego...I'm not that excited with Terry but i know kid likely would play his heart out to be a Cane.

J.Carter out of GA, Duke Johnson, Flowers, Witt, are guys i feel the same way about....

wish we finish strong with 5-6 more guys...
Bush
Garnett/Isadora one of the two at guard.
Juco DE and DT (samoan kids),
Travell Dixon/Tony Grimes
Sean Price/ Will Johnson at te

Advertisement
You cant just recruit all 4 & 5 star kids. You need a balance and that balance of highly touted kids will be a small majority of your class.

Frankly I dont care who Al Golden gets. It's his team and his career on the line. He has the most to lose. If he feels these kids are the tools he needs, fine.

A lot of these highly sought after kids are a pain in the ***. What number am I wearing. How many starts will I have my frshman year? These kind of questions are the reasons why teams lose when they have big recruiting numbers.

Character>Talent

WhoDat, excellent points. When Golden came to Miami, he said clearly that he wants a mix. Very talented players and what he termed Blue Collar players - basically STAYERS. Kids who WANT it. Who will WORK. Gym rats. Good attitude.

A lot of the 4&5 star kids ARE pains in the ***. They already know everything.

Compare to some of the kids we have coming - "I'll play anywhere you need me, do whatever you want." Now that's a team player.

And at the end of the day, we don't want stars. We want and need a TEAM.

Man Please...Golden is reaching....How many no star kids ever amounted to anything for Miami? This guy sucks balls...We hope hes gonna be good because thats all we have is hope so you ******* cling to it like a ******* fly to ****..your too scared to admit that Hunter wells sucks balls, Richard alexis also sucks balls, danny dillard sux balls...This ish is stupid..None of these guys willl ever play here but it hurts our depth we are building the depth of a Mac team... if these guys have to play we are ****ed

Man Please...Golden is reaching....How many no star kids ever amounted to anything for Miami? This guy sucks balls...We hope hes gonna be good because thats all we have is hope so you ******* cling to it like a ******* fly to ****..your too scared to admit that Hunter wells sucks balls, Richard alexis also sucks balls, danny dillard sux balls...This ish is stupid..None of these guys willl ever play here but it hurts our depth we are building the depth of a Mac team... if these guys have to play we are ****ed

Corch's butt buddy comin to save the day.

Advertisement
Back