Golden breaks down recruiting

Problem2

All-American
Premium
“We’ve been just trying to call a lot of recruits this week. My first focus is with the current team. I’ve met with probably 50 guys the last two days, have to get everybody else this afternoon and tomorrow. We’ll have a recruiting weekend this weekend and be out the following two weeks. So, make sure we get everyone focused on exams, finish strong, talk to our team coming back and also visit with recruits.”

On taking a smaller recruiting class.

“It’s a lot different. It feels different, is more focused, more personalized, more selective. We don’t need that many and we’re trying to find the right ones and trying to be patient. We’re going though it methodically and making sure that we know where we are with our team and where our needs are and trying to fit them in.”

On if it’s easier to sell kids on how you’ve been playing.

“The kids know who we are now, what we want to be on offense, defense, special teams, how we coach, teach, and who we are off the field and that all goes into it. Clearly we’re going to supplement that with a tremendous new facility here in the next month. We’re excited about the confluence of those things coming together for us.”

On junior college recruitment.

“I think it’s important. If I was a JC player on the other side, I would want to go somewhere where they had a need. We certaintly have needs at a couple of positions. We’ll definitely entertain that, where we need instant help, where we don’t have time to redshirt, cultivate or strengthen. I’m not giving all those positions away. We need some maturity, some guys to come in and supplement and impact what we have coming back because it’s significant what we have coming back. We have to improve a lot of positions.”

On the size of this recruiting class.

“I’m going with 15. It could be plus or minus.”

On what kids ask the most on recruiting visits.

“I think we’re on the right kids. We’ve been honest with them. We know where they stand. If there’s any disparity between what we say and what we do, that’s being nullified by our current student-athletes. As I said last year, they’re our greatest ambassadors. In a lot of ways, they’re the litmus test for what happened in recruiting actually happened. We’ve made a significant sacrifice here. It wasn’t one postseason game, was three, was a chance to play in a post season game and play our arch rival. We’ve given up significantly and now we’ll be moving forward.”

On the most difficult part of the NCAA uncertainty and other colleges using it against you.

“I think they prey on the uncertainty. I think just how tedious the process is, just how long it takes. The duration of it for sure.”

On whether or not trying to move the time table up since this is a small class compared to last year.

“Last year we wouldn’t have been able to line up in spring ball if we didn’t have 10 or 11 coming in mid-year. This year we’ll have some enter at mid-year but it won’t be a significant number. A lot of those guys will be at all-star games and we should be patient to the guys we’ve identified and give them an opportunity to say yes to us for sure.”

On the lack of scholarship kickers.

“(Matt) Goudis is remaining as a scholarship player. We took a number of walk-ons last year that I have met with already that have a great opportunity because we’ll scholarship one next year, not this year, not in this class. And we’ll look at additional walk-ons next year. We’ll have a great opportunity for a kicker and punter next year, are not allocated for one this year.”

http://acc.xofan.com/Miami/al-golden-breaks-down-recruiting-plans/

Advertisement
Goudis needs to be the goods because he will be relied on heavily, either that or one of these walk-ons need to step up.

I believe 15 commits will count towards the 2013 class but we will see. Get working Al, we need you to close huge.

We’ve made a significant sacrifice here. It wasn’t one postseason game, was three, was a chance to play in a post season game and play our arch rival. We’ve given up significantly and now we’ll be moving forward.”

I like move forward

“We’ve been just trying to call a lot of recruits this week. My first focus is with the current team. I’ve met with probably 50 guys the last two days, have to get everybody else this afternoon and tomorrow. We’ll have a recruiting weekend this weekend and be out the following two weeks. So, make sure we get everyone focused on exams, finish strong, talk to our team coming back and also visit with recruits.”

On taking a smaller recruiting class.

“It’s a lot different. It feels different, is more focused, more personalized, more selective. We don’t need that many and we’re trying to find the right ones and trying to be patient. We’re going though it methodically and making sure that we know where we are with our team and where our needs are and trying to fit them in.”

On if it’s easier to sell kids on how you’ve been playing.

“The kids know who we are now, what we want to be on offense, defense, special teams, how we coach, teach, and who we are off the field and that all goes into it. Clearly we’re going to supplement that with a tremendous new facility here in the next month. We’re excited about the confluence of those things coming together for us.”

On junior college recruitment.

“I think it’s important. If I was a JC player on the other side, I would want to go somewhere where they had a need. We certaintly have needs at a couple of positions. We’ll definitely entertain that, where we need instant help, where we don’t have time to redshirt, cultivate or strengthen. I’m not giving all those positions away. We need some maturity, some guys to come in and supplement and impact what we have coming back because it’s significant what we have coming back. We have to improve a lot of positions.”

On the size of this recruiting class.

“I’m going with 15. It could be plus or minus.”

On what kids ask the most on recruiting visits.

“I think we’re on the right kids. We’ve been honest with them. We know where they stand. If there’s any disparity between what we say and what we do, that’s being nullified by our current student-athletes. As I said last year, they’re our greatest ambassadors. In a lot of ways, they’re the litmus test for what happened in recruiting actually happened. We’ve made a significant sacrifice here. It wasn’t one postseason game, was three, was a chance to play in a post season game and play our arch rival. We’ve given up significantly and now we’ll be moving forward.”

On the most difficult part of the NCAA uncertainty and other colleges using it against you.

“I think they prey on the uncertainty. I think just how tedious the process is, just how long it takes. The duration of it for sure.”

On whether or not trying to move the time table up since this is a small class compared to last year.

“Last year we wouldn’t have been able to line up in spring ball if we didn’t have 10 or 11 coming in mid-year. This year we’ll have some enter at mid-year but it won’t be a significant number. A lot of those guys will be at all-star games and we should be patient to the guys we’ve identified and give them an opportunity to say yes to us for sure.”

On the lack of scholarship kickers.

“(Matt) Goudis is remaining as a scholarship player. We took a number of walk-ons last year that I have met with already that have a great opportunity because we’ll scholarship one next year, not this year, not in this class. And we’ll look at additional walk-ons next year. We’ll have a great opportunity for a kicker and punter next year, are not allocated for one this year.”

http://acc.xofan.com/Miami/al-golden-breaks-down-recruiting-plans/

Is he talking about JUCO All Star games or High School All Star games or both?

Last edited:
Advertisement
With the way this staff recruits and sticks to their guns I am willing to bet we see some curve balls these next few years. Much like Shannon there will be people up in arms about some guys being recruited and others not. This time however I think those criticisms will be muted once they hit the field, rather than amplified.

With the way this staff recruits and sticks to their guns I am willing to bet we see some curve balls these next few years. Much like Shannon there will be people up in arms about some guys being recruited and others not. This time however I think those criticisms will be muted once they hit the field, rather than amplified.

JHall, can you clarify what you mean? Other than RL3, do we have any other controversial offers in this class? Or are you saying that the staff will stick with guys currently on roster much longer than we would like (e.g., Hope or Wells), which results in non-offers to kids like Skai and Cunningham?

The biggest problem with Shannon was the lack of a coherent plan. We all hate losing players we perceive to be good, but it stings much less when the staff has other kids lined up to take their place that we'd actually want. Shannon took Louis Nix and Todd Chandler and turned them into Jeff Brown and Delmar Taylor.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back