Goal line Offense

Line gaynor up there as an extra blocker at either fullback or ol/te type on goal line

Richt just announced on hurricane hotline tonight that gaynor will lineup at fullback in goal line offense

Advertisement
Then a package needs to be installed, asap. Wasn't Charles Perry to FB mentioned?

As far as other teams, especially NFL, many spread it because they feel it's their best option to succeed; not because they have to for lack of personnel. It's a little different when the Patriots go 5 wide with Brady than us with Rosier.

This isn't only for goal line situations. For example, we are up 22-20 with the ball, 3rd and 1 at our own 35, with 2:30 to go in the game. First down ends it. If I see us line up shotgun and 5 wide, ill blow a gasket.

You need to be able to get tough yards or you have a serious deficiency as a football team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. The Patriots aren't the only team spreading it from inside the 5.
2. We rolled out Michael Irvin III last year in 2TE sets in the redzone.
3. You shouldn't blow a gasket if we roll out the best formation with the cards we're dealt. And, again, there are dozens upon dozens of teams putting specialty LBs and DL in their backfield.
4. I don't see this as a sufficient excuse to lose meaningful games.

I don't disagree that there are packages we can implement; ****, it was a little before my time, but I remember Refrigerator Perry scoring for the Bears. The roster is what it is, and you put out your best product.

My issue is that we are 2 weeks from the opener, and it sounds like Richt didn't even begin to address this yet. Wtf is he waiting for?

I'm not one of the "we need a dedicated OC" guys, but maybe if our play caller wasn't also the CEO, coaching QBs, fundraising, handling media, etc, this would've already been addressed.

It's a big issue, IMO.

Bump, cause if we can't get 3 yards against Toledo, no way in **** are we getting them vs FSU, Va Tech, ND and others.

All this creative offense stuff is great in theory, but we don't have a guy that knows how to draw it up.

Then a package needs to be installed, asap. Wasn't Charles Perry to FB mentioned?

As far as other teams, especially NFL, many spread it because they feel it's their best option to succeed; not because they have to for lack of personnel. It's a little different when the Patriots go 5 wide with Brady than us with Rosier.

This isn't only for goal line situations. For example, we are up 22-20 with the ball, 3rd and 1 at our own 35, with 2:30 to go in the game. First down ends it. If I see us line up shotgun and 5 wide, ill blow a gasket.

You need to be able to get tough yards or you have a serious deficiency as a football team.

3. You shouldn't blow a gasket if we roll out the best formation with the cards we're dealt. And, again, there are dozens upon dozens of teams putting specialty LBs and DL in their backfield.

I don't disagree that there are packages we can implement; ****, it was a little before my time, but I remember Refrigerator Perry scoring for the Bears. The roster is what it is, and you put out your best product.

My issue is that we are 2 weeks from the opener, and it sounds like Richt didn't even begin to address this yet. Wtf is he waiting for?

I'm not one of the "we need a dedicated OC" guys, but maybe if our play caller wasn't also the CEO, coaching QBs, fundraising, handling media, etc, this would've already been addressed.

It's a big issue, IMO.

Bump, cause if we can't get 3 yards against Toledo, no way in **** are we getting them vs FSU, Va Tech, ND and others.

All this creative offense stuff is great in theory, but we don't have a guy that knows how to draw it up.
It's not only great in theory. It's great in real life on almost all levels of football. We just apparently don't have or haven't yet flashed the technical chops to make it happen. ****, we can barely create mismatches between the 20s, so forget the redzone. Maybe things change, but the way we even "won" battles against Toledo was truly worrisome. Those "wins" aren't easily duplicated against equal or better athletes. Our route combinations are truly puzzling.

It's a big issue, IMO.

It's not only great in theory. It's great in real life on almost all levels of football. We just apparently don't have or haven't yet flashed the technical chops to make it happen. ****, we can barely create mismatches between the 20s, so forget the redzone. Maybe things change, but the way we even "won" battles against Toledo was truly worrisome. Those "wins" aren't easily duplicated against equal or better athletes. Our route combinations are truly puzzling.

Archaic. It's like our playbook was downloaded from the original John Madden Football.

There's something to be said for getting the ball to athletes in space and letting them make guys miss. But our underneath stuff doesn't even do that. You never see one guy clearing out defenders to create space for another. And when we do throw it down the field, there is always 2 WRs right next to each other, 4 verts type stuff.

Thank god for Walton.

Advertisement

It's a big issue, IMO.

Also, did you notice the personnel we had when we went shotgun from the 4? Trips right to the wide side, with Harley on the outside, Berrios in slot, and Dayall Harris inside. It ended up being a run to the weak side, of course. But if you are trying to draw the defense to the strong side, don't you line up Harris on the outside, to at least make the threat of the fade there, to draw a double from the safety and roll everyone else over? This stuff seems basic.

It's a big issue, IMO.

Also, did you notice the personnel we had when we went shotgun from the 4? Trips right to the wide side, with Harley on the outside, Berrios in slot, and Dayall Harris inside. It ended up being a run to the weak side, of course. But if you are trying to draw the defense to the strong side, don't you line up Harris on the outside, to at least make the threat of the fade there, to draw a double from the safety and roll everyone else over? This stuff seems basic.
Will watch the replay of the game and chart every play out of habit, but I really don't have a big desire to do so. I'm at a loss for what we're trotting out there on both sides of the ball. Basic is kind way to explain it. Unfortunately, we don't have anyone in the traditional media who knows what they're looking at enough to ask pertinent questions. Maybe it's a broader season strategy I am missing. I don't know.

The goal line offense was better without a fallback. I have no problem with his play calling so far this year - I think he calls a better game with a spread offense than he does his bread and butter I back offense.

We were insanely efficient yesterday on offense, and Richt did a great job of mixing things up, and throwing on early downs.

The goal line offense was better without a fallback. I have no problem with his play calling so far this year - I think he calls a better game with a spread offense than he does his bread and butter I back offense.

We were insanely efficient yesterday on offense, and Richt did a great job of mixing things up, and throwing on early downs.

Ehh, we also got stuffed by a poor Toledo defense starting out 1st goal (don't remember the yardline). Pretty unacceptable. Overall pretty happy with offense, but I don't feel great about us in the red zone especially against the better defenses in the ACC (including some of the best d-lines in the nation). I do think our best strategy is spreading it out and using space/RPO in goal-line situations or we may be wasting downs going forward.

Advertisement

It's a big issue, IMO.

Will watch the replay of the game and chart every play out of habit, but I really don't have a big desire to do so. I'm at a loss for what we're trotting out there on both sides of the ball. Basic is kind way to explain it. Unfortunately, we don't have anyone in the traditional media who knows what they're looking at enough to ask pertinent questions. Maybe it's a broader season strategy I am missing. I don't know.

Unfortunately you aren't missing anything. I've been extremely critical of the offense because, frankly, a middle school coach could gameplan against it. It is so simplistic. I was hoping we would have seen some innovation from season 1 to 2, especially when I heard Richt brought in Helfrich for a week. I was wrong, 4 verts has again become a staple on 3rd and medium.

We just don't create mismatches with our scheme at all, we just rely on out talenting the opponent. That works fine vs inferior opponents but not against the cream of the crop. Very disappointed.

We are actually lucky that Rosier was sharp and their offense was not. Don't get me started on Diaz either, he hasn't been any better and maybe worse.

Advertisement
Back