Go national

Advertisement
We've always done this.

That doesn't give us a pass for striking out on elite locals though.

You realize that CB's Quincy Wilson and Fabian Moreau are both predicted to go within the 1st/2nd round of the upcoming draft and they're both from Broward County? And both would've likely been here had we offered. (I love Corn but I'd trade those 2 for him in a heartbeat) We also would've had Burns in the same defensive backfield. That's THREE 1st round level CB's from South FLA playing at Miami.

Don't get it twisted, the best football players are still down here and South FLA should always remain our focal point. A couple studs from out of state don't change that.

Where is this coming from? I think this is a bit far fetched. Could change but he's not on any top lists at this point.
Don't get me wrong though, I would've loved to have him here.

Your last sentence is spot on.

Go national when the brand doesn't even sell at home? Mend relationships in So Fla and I could care less how well we do with the rest of the country.

Other than OL, QB, and TE there isn't a position that Florida can't offer you (and it's usually better than the rest of the country, and more raw potential because the HS coaching/weight training in So Fla is pretty weak).

It's expensive and time consuming to recruit nationally when we're tucked away in a corner of the country.

Advertisement
Only leave South Florida for special players.

Agree overall. But given there are down year locally at positions every year, like LBs this year, we can't walk away from certain key geographies. I think we've done well in New Jersey (AQM, Njoku, C Jenkins, Haskins, Badgely). We should continue to work that. Richt, Brown and Hartley have deep relationships in North Florida and Gerogia (helped with Hillery), Kool in the deep south where they produce some good DTs. Almost pulled couple guys, could hit next year.

What? Who is acting like there aren't talented kids in other states? You still mad at D$'s post last week about the talent from Florida that makes it to the NFL? You're arguing against yourself. Coach Macho started out by saying we've always recruited nationally. And we still do recruit kids from out of state: Walsh, Wayne, Reed, Thomas, Dykstra, Johnson, and on and on. Our base is our base and we get who we can nationally. When we win at a national level, we'll be better able to attract kids from around the country.

We've always done this.

That doesn't give us a pass for striking out on elite locals though.

You realize that CB's Quincy Wilson and Fabian Moreau are both predicted to go within the 1st/2nd round of the upcoming draft and they're both from Broward County? And both would've likely been here had we offered. (I love Corn but I'd trade those 2 for him in a heartbeat) We also would've had Burns in the same defensive backfield. That's THREE 1st round level CB's from South FLA playing at Miami.

Don't get it twisted, the best football players are still down here and South FLA should always remain our focal point. A couple studs from out of state don't change that.

I said we need to take care of home but to act like there aren't elite kids out of state is incredible naive

Definitely need to identify and target more out of state players. Can't keep banging your head against the wall with some of these South Florida cumbags.

Do more research on the local guys. Find out what they're about. If they're big UF or FSU honks then move on. If they're too wrapped up with handlers move on. Find local guys from good families with good character and pursue them. Don't waste time with cumbags.

Definitely need to identify and target more out of state players. Can't keep banging your head against the wall with some of these South Florida cumbags.

Do more research on the local guys. Find out what they're about. If they're big UF or FSU honks then move on. If they're too wrapped up with handlers move on. Find local guys from good families with good character and pursue them. Don't waste time with cumbags.

While I agree with this, I think you still spend some time on them to make UF, Bama, FSU pay more and spend more time showing these clowns more love. Make Saban fly out to drop of more duffel bags to Jeudy's mom. make HorseTeeth have to do in-homes at the Ridge, hoping his Google Maps takes him into some of the tougher Miami neighborhoods and he never is found again. Don't make it easy on these carpet baggers.

Advertisement
Go national when the brand doesn't even sell at home? Mend relationships in So Fla and I could care less how well we do with the rest of the country.

Other than OL, QB, and TE there isn't a position that Florida can't offer you (and it's usually better than the rest of the country, and more raw potential because the HS coaching/weight training in So Fla is pretty weak).

It's expensive and time consuming to recruit nationally when we're tucked away in a corner of the country.

Out of state recruits that we signed seemed to be more loyal than most south Florida recruits tbh

True...

Advertisement

Out of state recruits that we signed seemed to be more loyal than most south Florida recruits tbh

Upvote x1000

Do more research on the local guys. Find out what they're about. If they're big UF or FSU honks then move on.

I agree with that type of thinking in general. More research, and not related to the football field. Around here, find the top rated kids who want to stay home. Their family wants them to stay home. Elsewhere find the kids who have always wanted to go away to school.

You won't click on every pursuit but this is all about stealing a few percent here and there, to expand margin for error. Right now it seems like we aimlessly throw darts and mostly miss.

Advertisement
Plain and simple...
Get the best down here for sure but as we have seen 2 of our top 3 players in this class are from cali and Missouri. Keep the trend and get miami back to being recognized as a national recruiting program again. Whenever Miami has been good we always recruited very well nationally. 70% Florida rate/ 30 % out of state should be the roster breakdown. You put dj Johnson and jeff Thomas in the state of Florida and they are likely still the best de and receiver in florida. Let's keep the trend going, get the elite out of state kids to add to our main base.

it doesn't change your point (and i agree), but jeff thomas is from illinois.

Bandy, Smith, Amari, N'Kosi

But I get your point.

Plain and simple...
Get the best down here for sure but as we have seen 2 of our top 3 players in this class are from cali and Missouri. Keep the trend and get miami back to being recognized as a national recruiting program again. Whenever Miami has been good we always recruited very well nationally. 70% Florida rate/ 30 % out of state should be the roster breakdown. You put dj Johnson and jeff Thomas in the state of Florida and they are likely still the best de and receiver in florida. Let's keep the trend going, get the elite out of state kids to add to our main base.

it doesn't change your point (and i agree), but jeff thomas is from illinois.

Meant to put Illinois. But once you go across the bridge in St. Louis, east St. Louis is literally right there

Only leave South Florida for special players.

Easier said than done. They leave us like its not a thing. They don't seem to want to play for the U

Serious question... if Clemson, Bama, FSU, Miami were offering you... and all you've seen from Miami for the last 12 years of your life is dog**** and not 1 ACC ship appearance, where would you go? (don't answer as a fan, answer honestly)

These small town schools have a lot to offer that we don't - on campus stadium, unreal game atmosphere, better facilities, college town that lives for football, less distractions, etc.

Only way we begin to beat these schools is by first understanding why these kids are leaving (which our staff obviously knows, but some fans fail to understand).

Advertisement
Back