Gnomes & pucks: this thread sucks

You have been saying for five years that the postseason is random and that the regular season defines your success.

Go brush up on what I've said and get back to me.

Corbin was seeded into Omaha twice with stacked teams and lost at home. Baseball is random and the postseason is no different but the odds are titled in the favor of the national seeds and Corbin choked with loaded teams.

Fact.

Advertisement
Go brush up on what I've said and get back to me.

Corbin was seeded into Omaha twice with stacked teams and lost at home. Baseball is random and the postseason is no different but the odds are titled in the favor of the national seeds and Corbin choked with loaded teams.

Fact.

Corbin loses as a higher seed = choke
Morris loses as a higher seed = random, but how about that 2001 squad

You're struggling with this one. The man, with an ACC schedule and Miami resources at his disposal, finished behind a MAC team.

No, it's just that anybody can do the kind of tomfoolery that you're engaged in right now.

St. John's (a Big East Team!) finished with a better RPI than TCU last year. I'm sure that's indicative of something or the other.

I'm sure if Corbin coaches at Vandy for 25 years he'll have a similar season that we can nitpick at. Won't mean much then either.

No, Corbin fails to advance to Omaha with a national seed = choke

Morris has never done that.

In six of Morris' last seven seasons, he either didn't make the postseason or was eliminated by lesser seeds. Six of seven. So he was either so bad that he couldn't make the tournament, or he lost to a lesser seed. I see that you now agree that he choked.

Advertisement
I love this new narrative.

Being a national seed and losing two games is worse than going 28-26 and missing the tournament.

Advertisement
Jagr flailing to find ways to defend coaches at other programs for doing things that he would've DESTROYED Morris for doing.

Gotta love it.

Really enjoying Peter Gibbons' posts and hope that they do not ban him. Am assuming that he is arguing with either a orangutan or a gnome.

Schools can offer as many merit-based, academic related scholarships as the want. If that student is a male athlete then they have to make sure that there is an equal one for a woman. The NCAA may deem that illegal for baseball, but it is not illegal as of yet. Now, you obviously cannot award a C- student said scholarship, but the scholarship can be awarded on the basis of "academic and athletic prowess". That is how Rice and Vanderbilt compete. If someone has a B+/A- average and is a varsity athlete, it is legal to provide them financial aid in the form of these "endowed" scholarships. Rice and Vanderbilt possess two of the largest endowments in the world and this is how they circumvent the 11.7 baseball scholarships. Moreover, at both schools 75% of students receive financial aid, so they can award comparable aid to all students and that will encompass 75% of the baseball team.

Stanford is now attempting to provide aid to 100% of all of its students.

Miami needs to copy Rice and Vanderbilt.

Hopefully we win tonight so that the Gator returns to the Swamp blog and lamenting the prowess of our 2019 baseball team.

Over the past 10-years TCU and Vanderbilt performed better than UM.

Vanderbilt's non-baseball aid provides it with a sizable advantage, however. Am making an assumption here, but if they publicly cite that 75% of all students receive financial aid then one can assume that, at minimum, 75% of the non 11.7 players also received some form of financial aid as well.

Vanderbilt definitively has an innumerable number of athletic, academic, merit based scholarships at its disposal. A Board member of Georgia Tech told me that Vanderbilt's merit-based scholarships leveled the playing field for them in baseball. Georgia Tech is a public school and they recruit primarily in Georgia due to the baseball scholarship limitations and its location; however, they were speaking with Vanderbilt at the time to see if they could endow merit-based aid for elite out-of-sate baseball players that wished to pursue engineering degrees.

Advertisement
Really enjoying Peter Gibbons' posts and hope that they do not ban him. Am assuming that he is arguing with either a orangutan or a gnome.

Schools can offer as many merit-based, academic related scholarships as the want. If that student is a male athlete then they have to make sure that there is an equal one for a woman. The NCAA may deem that illegal for baseball, but it is not illegal as of yet. Now, you obviously cannot award a C- student said scholarship, but the scholarship can be awarded on the basis of "academic and athletic prowess". That is how Rice and Vanderbilt compete. If someone has a B+/A- average and is a varsity athlete, it is legal to provide them financial aid in the form of these "endowed" scholarships. Rice and Vanderbilt possess two of the largest endowments in the world and this is how they circumvent the 11.7 baseball scholarships. Moreover, at both schools 75% of students receive financial aid, so they can award comparable aid to all students and that will encompass 75% of the baseball team.

Stanford is now attempting to provide aid to 100% of all of its students.

Miami needs to copy Rice and Vanderbilt.

Hopefully we win tonight so that the Gator returns to the Swamp blog and lamenting the prowess of our 2019 baseball team.

Our baseball players already have access to academic aid. What you are suggesting - having separate money available only to baseball players - is a blatant violation of NCAA rules. No one else seems to want to call you out just because they don't want to be seen agreeing with me.

Over the past 10-years TCU and Vanderbilt performed better than UM.

Vanderbilt's non-baseball aid provides it with a sizable advantage, however. Am making an assumption here, but if they publicly cite that 75% of all students receive financial aid then one can assume that, at minimum, 75% of the non 11.7 players also received some form of financial aid as well.

Vanderbilt definitively has an innumerable number of athletic, academic, merit based scholarships at its disposal. A Board member of Georgia Tech told me that Vanderbilt's merit-based scholarships leveled the playing field for them in baseball. Georgia Tech is a public school and they recruit primarily in Georgia due to the baseball scholarship limitations and its location; however, they were speaking with Vanderbilt at the time to see if they could endow merit-based aid for elite out-of-sate baseball players that wished to pursue engineering degrees.

Here's what the University of Miami publishes: "Approximately 79.0% of new students obtain some form of financial aid."

If our baseball players qualify for financial aid, they get financial aid. You still don't have a single, original, legal idea.

A university can endow one (or more) of the 11.7 scholarships so that the athletic department is off the hook, but you can’t fund additional scholarships.
Ahh, gotcha. I have not been heavily involved with the internal stuff up here at the school I graduates from. I used to be more in the know, then I had kids, then started coaching my kids and now I have zero time.

I stand corrected.

Advertisement
Ahh, gotcha. I have not been heavily involved with the internal stuff up here at the school I graduates from. I used to be more in the know, then I had kids, then started coaching my kids and now I have zero time.

I stand corrected.

UM could definitively have a merit-based scholarship for students who excel in both the classroom and the athletic arena. A baseball player from Hialeah applies and shows family income of less than a certain amount, they can apply for one of these "endowed" scholarships. The donor who endowed the scholarship stipulates the condition, but it has to be tied to academics in some way. Yes, if 100% of all athletic/academic scholarships went always to baseball, they could prove that UM was circumventing the rules. It is difficult and requires a fair amount of capital, but Vanderbilt's endowment is at $4.8B and Rice's is $6.9B versus UM's $1.5B. Yes, you would need to "sprinkle" awards among various men's teams, but Rice and Vanderbilt actively do it! The NCAA cannot stop schools from offering merit-based scholarships.....

UM could definitively have a merit-based scholarship for students who excel in both the classroom and the athletic arena. A baseball player from Hialeah applies and shows family income of less than a certain amount, they can apply for one of these "endowed" scholarships. The donor who endowed the scholarship stipulates the condition, but it has to be tied to academics in some way. Yes, if 100% of all athletic/academic scholarships went always to baseball, they could prove that UM was circumventing the rules. It is difficult and requires a fair amount of capital, but Vanderbilt's endowment is at $4.8B and Rice's is $6.9B versus UM's $1.5B. Yes, you would need to "sprinkle" awards among various men's teams, but Rice and Vanderbilt actively do it! The NCAA cannot stop schools from offering merit-based scholarships.....
Did not know Rice had that large of an endowment. Oil loot!

Did not know Rice had that large of an endowment. Oil loot!

Georgetown cannot fund 85 football scholarships, so they assign a certain number of merit-based scholarships to football players (that possess the requisite grades). Georgetown has a small endowment, but it has a plethora of endowed scholarships. My freshman year we had 20 players on academic scholarships. One huge caveat is that they have to maintain a certain GPA. Five of those football players ultimately had to leave Georgetown.

The NCAA can and will step in as soon as it is obvious that the “merit-based scholarship” is really just an additional scholarship meant to get around the 11.7 limit.

Advertisement
Back