Gnomes & pucks: this thread sucks

We have plenty of money and have excellent donors. The problem is that the vast majority of UM's donors despise the football team. There is a lot of Shalala hate on this Board, but she protected the football program as best she could. Our richest donors (well over 80% of them) love the biotech center, tech initiatives, links to Latin America, the law school, engineering, the MBA and, obviously, undergraduate rankings. They abhor football.... It is what it is.

We may some day be able to fund 5-7 baseball scholarships. That is all we need.

Morris allowed the scholarships allocated to baseball players to decline. He become lackadaisical in his administrative duties and other facets of the program. Di Mare brought them back up to prior levels. These scholarships are not endowed. We need them endowed. His Dad could help with that.

They also secured funds for state of the art batting cages. Am told they are trying to raise the majority of funds needed for a new addition down the right field sight of the Park.
Football has the scholarships, they obviously need the donations for facilities. I am not telling you anything you don’t know however. Too bad people with loot don’t understand that positive publicity to the University is a good thing. What can you do.

If baseball can get five to seven scholarships above an beyond the actuals that will be huge for baseball. You need to give kids fulls or 3 for 4’s at these money gobbling private universities to compete.

Advertisement
We have plenty of money and have excellent donors. The problem is that the vast majority of UM's donors despise the football team. There is a lot of Shalala hate on this Board, but she protected the football program as best she could. Our richest donors (well over 80% of them) love the biotech center, tech initiatives, links to Latin America, the law school, engineering, the MBA and, obviously, undergraduate rankings. They abhor football.... It is what it is.

We may some day be able to fund 5-7 baseball scholarships. That is all we need.

Morris allowed the scholarships allocated to baseball players to decline. He become lackadaisical in his administrative duties and other facets of the program. Di Mare brought them back up to prior levels. These scholarships are not endowed. We need them endowed. His Dad could help with that.

They also secured funds for state of the art batting cages. Am told they are trying to raise the majority of funds needed for a new addition down the right field sight of the Park.

This is so stupid that I can’t resist.

We give the exact number of scholarships allowed by the NCAA. Morris didn’t let the number of scholarships decline, and we can’t fund more scholarships.

We can give 11.7 scholarships. Period. Even if someone donated a billion dollars to the baseball program, we could still only give 11.7 scholarships.

Football has the scholarships, they obviously need the donations for facilities. I am not telling you anything you don’t know however. Too bad people with loot don’t understand that positive publicity to the University is a good thing. What can you do.

If baseball can get five to seven scholarships above an beyond the actuals that will be huge for baseball. You need to give kids fulls or 3 for 4’s at these money gobbling private universities to compete.

We can’t give five to seven more than the “actuals”. We can give 11.7 scholarships.

We can’t give five to seven more than the “actuals”. We can give 11.7 scholarships.
I may be speaking out of turn so don’t hold me to this but a donor can endow a scholly to the “baseball program”. The Jaromir Jagr Family scholarship. So you give out the 11.7 actuals and then another kid who is not on scholly gets your Family Scholarship.

No clue if UM does this but I am pretty sure it happens at other private universities non revenue generating sports. There is a family I know who I have been told does this but they could be blowing smoke. (Not UM)

Again, could be way off base.

Side note- hung out with your handle back in the day. Interesting cat.

I may be speaking out of turn so don’t hold me to this but a donor can endow a scholly to the “baseball program”. The Jaromir Jagr Family scholarship. So you give out the 11.7 actuals and then another kid who is not on scholly gets your Family Scholarship.

No clue if UM does this but I am pretty sure it happens at other private universities non revenue generating sports. There is a family I know who I have been told does this but they could be blowing smoke. (Not UM)

Again, could be way off base.

Side note- hung out with your handle back in the day. Interesting cat.

A university can endow one (or more) of the 11.7 scholarships so that the athletic department is off the hook, but you can’t fund additional scholarships.

Advertisement
That's what I love about the "what about's?" that people throw out.

None of them have advanced to the Super Regional and College World Series as much as Miami in the relevant time period.

That's because your idea of "relevant" goes beyond 10 years back. In the last ten years, TCU and Vandy both have us beat in Super Regional and CWS appearances.

But 2001, I know.

That's because your idea of "relevant" goes beyond 10 years back. In the last ten years, TCU and Vandy both have us beat in Super Regional and CWS appearances.

But 2001, I know.

My idea of relevant would be to start when Tim Corbin and Jim Schlossnagle got to their respective schools.

But you need to stop pretending like you care about things like CWS appearances. You didn't care when Miami was there in 2015-16 so why do you care that TCU got there 5 times and didn't win anything?

My idea of relevant would be to start when Tim Corbin and Jim Schlossnagle got to their respective schools.

When Tim Corbin got to his school, they hadn't been to the postseason in 22 years and had never sniffed a CWS. Now they're a top five program. When Jim Schlossnagle got to his school, they had been to two regionals in their entire history. Then he took them to five World Series. Jim Morris took one of the top five programs in baseball history and somehow missed the postseason in two straight years. In other words, Corbin and Schlossnagle literally built something from nothing while Morris let a program slip. GREAT examples on your part.

But you need to stop pretending like you care about things like CWS appearances. You didn't care when Miami was there in 2015-16 so why do you care that TCU got there 5 times and didn't win anything?

I used to care about CWS appearances. Jim Morris has made me care about sneaking into the top 40 in RPI.

We need to endow 7 merit-based, academic scholarships for baseball and another 7 for women's sports. Athletes are not always the greatest students, though. You may be able to stipulate "good grades, need for financial aid and athletic prowess." Copy Vanderbilt...

Advertisement
When Tim Corbin got to his school, they hadn't been to the postseason in 22 years and had never sniffed a CWS. Now they're a top five program. When Jim Schlossnagle got to his school, they had been to two regionals in their entire history. Then he took them to five World Series.

Which has all been acknowledged.

I just hold the best coaches at the best programs to the same standard. You don't. I consider equal accomplishments to be equal. You don't.

Tim Corbin has two of the most epic failures in recent history. He had four 1st round picks in 2007 and was the #1 national seed and lost a home Regional to Michigan. He had a 51-9 team and had three 1st round picks in 2013 and was swept in a home Super Regional by Louisville.

The truth is that you're the biggest coach apologizer on this forum. It's just never for our coaches.

We need to endow 7 merit-based, academic scholarships for baseball and another 7 for women's sports. Athletes are not always the greatest students, though. You may be able to stipulate "good grades, need for financial aid and athletic prowess." Copy Vanderbilt...

Good lord. You can't add more baseball scholarships and call them "academic". You don't think the NCAA would see right through that?

Advertisement
Which has all been acknowledged.

I just hold the best coaches at the best programs to the same standard. You don't. I consider equal accomplishments to be equal. You don't.

Tim Corbin has two of the most epic failures in recent history. He had four 1st round picks in 2007 and was the #1 national seed and lost a home Regional to Michigan. He had a 51-9 team and had three 1st round picks in 2013 and was swept in a home Super Regional by Louisville.

The truth is that you're the biggest coach apologizer on this forum. It's just never for our coaches.

So you're saying that Tim Corbin has built a program with #1 picks, 50 wins, and CWS/Super Regional appearances and did it all from nothing. Meanwhile, Jim Morris found himself looking up at Kent State.

Advertisement
So you're saying that Tim Corbin has built a program with #1 picks, 50 wins, and CWS/Super Regional appearances and did it all from nothing.

I'm saying that Tim Corbin built a program with #1 picks, 50 wins and CWS appearances and failed more spectacularly than Jim Morris ever did in his entire career.

I evaluate them the same when they have similar hands. You give Corbin a lifetime pass.

I'm saying that Tim Corbin built a program with #1 picks, 50 wins and CWS appearances and failed more spectacularly than Jim Morris ever did in his entire career.

I evaluate them the same when they have similar hands. You give Corbin a lifetime pass.

You have been saying for five years that the postseason is random and that the regular season defines your success. Jim Morris' failures in the postseason have been "random". But when Tim Corbin loses in the postseason? Spectacular failure. You're so transparent.

Tim Corbin losing in the postseason is random, and finishing with an RPI of 65 is not random.

Advertisement
Back