Gnomes & pucks: this thread sucks

Jagr, you are better than this. People point out the tuition gap because of the fact that when you are out there recruiting, and you can only offer so much as a private school, it thins your talent pool a bit. Miami has and will always be at a disadvantage in a sport like baseball, where you can't offer full rides to anyone, but it has gotten worse over the years.

Does pointing that out indicate that we were happy with Morris? No, it's a statement of fact. It's not an accident that as the scholarship requirements have changed over the years, private schools aren't as competitive as they once were. Programs like SC, Stanford and others are flat out mediocre for long stretches, where 20 years ago that wasn't the case. Miami can and should be a competitive program, but we shouldn't sit here and act like Miami isn't playing against a stacked deck more often than not.
No he is not better than this. He is a Gator Troll.

Advertisement
I never played at the Ralph. It is unreal and Sioux fans travel man. We played against Wisconsin at the Bradley Center, 17,500 SRO In warm ups. Crazy atmosphere. Everyone in the barn was hammered. We averaged just under 5k at Conte, BU and Maine were loaded back then. We probably broke even as a revenue sport but the hockey donors are big money donors at BC. Miami baseball has a much larger travel budget so that hurts. Most of our games are a bus ride and some are five minute bus rides... we always went west over Christmas but we were not breaking the bank at BC.

Jerry has done an amazing job at BC, by 98’ he was playing for a title and my buddy hit a pipe that would have won it. Dude has won over 1,000 games so he IS the best NCAA coach ever. Won titles, won Hockey East a bunch and won a bunch of Beanpots. We won the Beanpot in 94 and it had been 11 years. Jerry won a bunch which was tough to do wrestling that tourney away from BU. Don’t let his nice guy persona fool you, he is ruthless! I like him and he was good to me but he is tougher than he looks.

I hope Yorkie does not hang on too long but he has earned a swan song. Just not two.

Western mass huh, I went to Avon for a year. I am out in the pioneer valley twice a year now with the kids playing a team out that way.

I hope Jerry has one more big year. I don’t think they are as talented as you do. Watch UMASS and St. Cloud, they have speed and talent... BC has some guys coming though.
Nice St. Cloud shoutout, I go to school there currently! Small world to be seeing little St. Cloud mentioned on a canes board

Nice St. Cloud shoutout, I go to school there currently! Small world to be seeing little St. Cloud mentioned on a canes board
I always considered Hockey East the best league in the country (maybe a little bias) but the NCHC is the best now. St. Cloud needs to get over the hump. I played in the old Marriuci, pretty cool. You walked up a flight of stairs to get to the ice. That was a cool barn. The Big10 screwed up western college hockey.

tuition makes a diff esp when the price point is so drastic. not sure where youre going with that

Tuition differences can be overcome when kids want to play at a particular program. We have not been that big of a draw in the last ten years. Meanwhile, Florida is going to the CWS and getting kids drafted in the first round.

Advertisement
ive been to UFs. it isnt that nice nor do i think it is better than light. never been to FSUs

Uif's is average now, but they're about to start construction on a 45Mil new park IIRC. FSU's is nice similar to Miami's in that we both we're a bit ahead of our time, but have now been passed by with the newer stadiums.

I always considered Hockey East the best league in the country (maybe a little bias) but the NCHC is the best now. St. Cloud needs to get over the hump. I played in the old Marriuci, pretty cool. You walked up a flight of stairs to get to the ice. That was a cool barn. The Big10 screwed up western college hockey.
I agree about the Big10, in my eyes nothing was better than the old WCHA conference. Was my favorite in college sports. Oh well, we will see if St. Cloud can make a real run this year.

I agree about the Big10, in my eyes nothing was better than the old WCHA conference. Was my favorite in college sports. Oh well, we will see if St. Cloud can make a real run this year.
WCHA and the CCHA were great. The WCHA final five was dynamite. Then the Big Ten sucked the life out of it.

Advertisement
WCHA and the CCHA were great. The WCHA final five was dynamite. Then the Big Ten sucked the life out of it.
And now the WCHA is mankato (another MN school, similar to St. Cloud in every way almost) and pretty much nobody else. Last I checked, 3 of the top 4 ranked teams are Minnesota schools. And none of those 3 are the gophers! Who I don’t like! The St. Cloud coach dipped last season for the gophers and they suck this year again

Not so caught up on the eastern part of college hockey this year. I know UMASS is having a good season. Are the Boston schools having a down couple years? I pretty much only follow NCHC hockey now

And now the WCHA is mankato (another MN school, similar to St. Cloud in every way almost) and pretty much nobody else. Last I checked, 3 of the top 4 ranked teams are Minnesota schools. And none of those 3 are the gophers! Who I don’t like! The St. Cloud coach dipped last season for the gophers and they suck this year again
Not a fan of the Gopher. He won the World Junior and took the Gopher job. Matsko will turn that ship around, unfortunately.

Not so caught up on the eastern part of college hockey this year. I know UMASS is having a good season. Are the Boston schools having a down couple years? I pretty much only follow NCHC hockey now
Northeastern is good, Jimmy Madigan has done a great job there. Providence is also a good team. BC and BU are down. Too many young kids, they both need to recruit some older dudes. They have too many 18 year olds.

Advertisement
Northeastern is good, Jimmy Madigan has done a great job there. Providence is also a good team. BC and BU are down. Too many young kids, they both need to recruit some older dudes. They have too many 18 year olds.
They should be good in a year or two then. I’m interested to see what Arizona State does come tourney time. They are ranked 8 or 9th I believe. They have the facilities and I read they are building a stadium on campus later this year. I wonder if other west coast schools will jump into D1 hockey with the early success of ASU

They should be good in a year or two then. I’m interested to see what Arizona State does come tourney time. They are ranked 8 or 9th I believe. They have the facilities and I read they are building a stadium on campus later this year. I wonder if other west coast schools will jump into D1 hockey with the early success of ASU
If you could play hockey at ASU would you? Ahhh yeah. They are going to be good and the rest of the West should follow. PAC Ten could have a league easily. Recruit BC and western Canada AND California. Kids from the mid west and east would go. BC and BU’s young kids leave early.

Advertisement
Thread name got changed to college hockey.... I go to da box and feel shame, 2 minutes, you free. Sorry to all the people, save four people on this board, who have no clue about college hockey. I am embarrassed by my actions and thread occupation.

Providence's coach reminds me of a young York.

Yale's coach is tremendous. Yale has to adhere to the Index, as do all Ivys, which makes recruiting impossible.

Quinnipac's coach is great, but this school cheats like "caine" during recruiting. The Powers of hockey will have them barred at some point.

Too bad that Denver lost their coach. The new one is a shade of what they had.

It is great to see St. Cloud, Michigan Tech, Mankato and other small schools be able to compete every year. Purest college sport left.

Advertisement
Back