Gnomes & pucks: this thread sucks

Advertisement
I already addressed Long Beach State, but Stanford really surprised me. Its stadium is slightly worse than Georgia Tech's. Very surprising. They have a sunken field, but the baseball stadium is the black sheep of the campus.

Fullerton - Huge public school comprised of "financially limited" alumni in a moderate-income part of the state. Am still not sure how they consistently win and rival UM in championships.....

USC - Their stadium is an eyesore. The water polo teams, tennis teams and volleyball teams have MUCH nicer facilities. The stadium is "cringe worthy". Comparable to Mark Light prior to the renovations. (1970s stadium....)

UCLA - The city of Angels owns the stadium. Major league batting cages that are worth more than the rest of the stadium. Wooden bleachers..... Enough said.

Pepperdine - Best location of ANY stadium in the country. The stadium is located on a bluff on the peak of a mountain in Malibu. Unfortunately, it is a high school stadium with wooden bleachers. (Same with Loyola Marymount.)

Irvine - Great coach and an appalling stadium. They deserve better.

In the ACC, Clemson, UNC, FSU and UVA have better stadiums, BUT these stadiums cater to" Boomers". They do not have the entrance that we have, nor the plethora of food options. These 3 stadiums are built for people that arrive at the game and sit in a seat for 3 hours. They do not have a concourse similar to ours, and children cannot run around the stadium. They have chair-backs throughout, but are geared toward an older crowd. I still prefer UM's, but these three stadiums do look like minor league parks. Many parents in Miami (many) arrive at Mark Light and "release" their children. The "openness" of Miami's stadium and the familial environment is a HUGE advantage. At these three stadiums, you have a seat, and you sit there. Yes, they have a field where current students can watch the game and covertly drink, but all three stadiums are built for the Boomer generation.
BC built a new stadium. I have to go over and check it out. Heard it is nice.

To act like tuition is not a factor is disingenuous.

It has only become a factor when people needed an excuse for Jim Morris. Like I have said dozens of times, there are plenty of blue chip baseball players who have some combination of skill, wealth, and academic success that we can choose from to fill a roster.

What do you expect from a troll? He isnt a Cane fan he loves the Gators.

The saddest part about your existence is that you refuse to actually engage in the discussion because you know that you're out of your league. You know that I am right about the tuition "problem", therefore you simply fall back on cheap personal shots.

Advertisement
You think Miami is hoarding piles of cash that this "Fanbase" is giving them? Really? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that historically, Miami fans barely give, they barely donate. There's a reason why Miami has significantly fewer sports that our peers, and it's because of finances, pure and simple. There's a reason that Miami had to **** near beg donors over the years to get us in the ballpark in regards to salaries, it's because the money isn't there in the aggregate. Miami had to CROWDFUND the IPF project, something that was desperately needed, with a name coach, coming off two **** good seasons. Let that settle in. That's how cheap this group is and most likely will always be.
funny isn't it when talking about donating some fans are in the cheap seats and some are not.those people n the cheap seats are front and center when it comes to being negative \gripping about something.and don't mind donating to the flying banners.

The majority of the new stadiums being built are mirroring minor league parks. UM was smart in maintaining Mark Light small and family friendly.

From 1979 to 1986, my parents treated Mark Light like a day care center. They would drop us off and we would run around the stadium for 3 hours with friends..... UM needs to maintain that.

Look at MLB demographics. Baseball at the pro and amateur level is dying. In Miami, it used to be a premier event. Both the Cubans and the Americans loved Fraser. The city is now South American, Russian, Chinese, etc..., and the millennials hate the sport.

You do not need more seats than the ones behind the backstop and the ones near third base.

Fill in the permanent seats, build a first-class training facility down the right field side, and convert the remaining bleachers into permanent seats.

BC built a new stadium. I have to go over and check it out. Heard it is nice.

BC debuts new baseball field on Brighton Campus

Google the above and they have some videos.

BC's new stadium is terrible. Looks like a high school field.

Very few schools will ever expend substantial amounts into their baseball programs. There are zero profitable NCAA baseball programs at present, and this will only get worse.

There is very little to do in Baton Rouge, Starksville and Columbia (though my wife and I do love Columbia). They can continue to draw 10,000 fans per game because their cities' populace is old and there is little to do there. The Gamecocks provide the best dog park in Columbia at their stadium....

Also, South Carolina and Mississippi State cannot hope to compete in the revenue sports. Consequently, they focus their funds on a second tier college sport like baseball.

Why do the California schools spend a fortune on volleyball and water polo? Their teams in those sports are better funded than UM's baseball team!

Advertisement
It’s BC, I am not surprised. The hockey/hoop barn has zero atmosphere. I have not been over there, the fact that they have a baseball stadium is a miracle...

It’s BC, I am not surprised. The hockey/hoop barn has zero atmosphere. I have not been over there, the fact that they have a baseball stadium is a miracle...

Am actually a fan of BC hockey and watch a lot of their games.

The last two years have been debacles. York may be done.....

Yorkie just signed an extension brother. It will be tough pulling kids in with Jerry and his age.
Unreal run but he is a little long in the tooth. I am not young and I played for him...

Word around the campfire is they want to build a 5,000 seat bowl for hockey only, like BU or like Munn at MSU. Now my seat is very far away from said campfire but that is the word. Jerry has people who can raise that kind of money pretty quickly. BC Hockey and it’s supporters are a powerful animal and Yorkie has a hand on the leash.

Advertisement
Yorkie just signed an extension brother. It will be tough pulling kids in with Jerry and his age.
Unreal run but he is a little long in the tooth. I am not young and I played for him...

BC has a ton of talent this year. 11-18 is beyond worrisome.... Even Morris had winning records his final two seasons. Morris' last two teams improved markedly over the latter half of both seasons. Hopefully this was a "blip" for York. He did make the 'Frozen Four' four years ago...

I do think York is the greatest NCAA ice hockey coach of all time.

We were in Western Massachusetts during our high school years and hockey was king. Am sure that BC's hockey program, and even BU's, generates much more revenue than Hurricane baseball.

Have you seen North Dakota's rink? It is better than some NHL arenas....

The saddest part about your existence is that you refuse to actually engage in the discussion because you know that you're out of your league. You know that I am right about the tuition "problem", therefore you simply fall back on cheap personal shots.

Jagr, you are better than this. People point out the tuition gap because of the fact that when you are out there recruiting, and you can only offer so much as a private school, it thins your talent pool a bit. Miami has and will always be at a disadvantage in a sport like baseball, where you can't offer full rides to anyone, but it has gotten worse over the years.

Does pointing that out indicate that we were happy with Morris? No, it's a statement of fact. It's not an accident that as the scholarship requirements have changed over the years, private schools aren't as competitive as they once were. Programs like SC, Stanford and others are flat out mediocre for long stretches, where 20 years ago that wasn't the case. Miami can and should be a competitive program, but we shouldn't sit here and act like Miami isn't playing against a stacked deck more often than not.

BC has a ton of talent this year. 11-18 is beyond worrisome.... Even Morris had winning records his final two seasons. Morris' last two teams improved markedly over the latter half of both seasons. Hopefully this was a "blip" for York. He did make the 'Frozen Four' four years ago...

I do think York is the greatest NCAA ice hockey coach of all time.

We were in Western Massachusetts during our high school years and hockey was king. Am sure that BC's hockey program, and even BU's, generates much more revenue than Hurricane baseball.

Have you seen North Dakota's rink? It is better than some NHL arenas....
I never played at the Ralph. It is unreal and Sioux fans travel man. We played against Wisconsin at the Bradley Center, 17,500 SRO In warm ups. Crazy atmosphere. Everyone in the barn was hammered. We averaged just under 5k at Conte, BU and Maine were loaded back then. We probably broke even as a revenue sport but the hockey donors are big money donors at BC. Miami baseball has a much larger travel budget so that hurts. Most of our games are a bus ride and some are five minute bus rides... we always went west over Christmas but we were not breaking the bank at BC.

Jerry has done an amazing job at BC, by 98’ he was playing for a title and my buddy hit a pipe that would have won it. Dude has won over 1,000 games so he IS the best NCAA coach ever. Won titles, won Hockey East a bunch and won a bunch of Beanpots. We won the Beanpot in 94 and it had been 11 years. Jerry won a bunch which was tough to do wrestling that tourney away from BU. Don’t let his nice guy persona fool you, he is ruthless! I like him and he was good to me but he is tougher than he looks.

I hope Yorkie does not hang on too long but he has earned a swan song. Just not two.

Western mass huh, I went to Avon for a year. I am out in the pioneer valley twice a year now with the kids playing a team out that way.

I hope Jerry has one more big year. I don’t think they are as talented as you do. Watch UMASS and St. Cloud, they have speed and talent... BC has some guys coming though.

Advertisement
Jagr, you are better than this. People point out the tuition gap because of the fact that when you are out there recruiting, and you can only offer so much as a private school, it thins your talent pool a bit. Miami has and will always be at a disadvantage in a sport like baseball, where you can't offer full rides to anyone, but it has gotten worse over the years.

Does pointing that out indicate that we were happy with Morris? No, it's a statement of fact. It's not an accident that as the scholarship requirements have changed over the years, private schools aren't as competitive as they once were. Programs like SC, Stanford and others are flat out mediocre for long stretches, where 20 years ago that wasn't the case. Miami can and should be a competitive program, but we shouldn't sit here and act like Miami isn't playing against a stacked deck more often than not.

I'm not questioning the fact that our tuition is much higher. I even brought it up to that idiot Shawn Eichorst at a booster event (he had no idea what I was talking about, by the way). What I question is the timing of the excuse. Just three years ago we had a great roster. Right now we have (on paper) some of the top recruiting classes in the country over the next few years. We have brought in great classes and have great classes coming in, even with the tuition gap. The excuse came front and center as soon as we missed the postseason, as though we had a sudden tuition hike.

I will contend until the day I die that we were lazy in our recruiting in the late 2000's-mid 2010's. We just brought in the local travel ball heroes. Vandy goes nationwide to find their kids. We called the local travel coaches and asked who the best players were. The players who ended up at Florida weren't telling us no......we weren't going after them to begin with if they didn't play in the tri-county area.

You have to view it from the lens of our "true" competitors.

UM will never lose a baseball player to a Big-10 or NOrtheast school due to the weather of those regions.

I have been to the stadiums of Stanford, Fullerton, USC, UCLA, Pepperdine, Irvine and Long Beach State. MArk Light in its current version is better than any of the California baseball stadiums. The "Dirt Bags" play in a converted minor league park, but have a terrible game-day atmosphere. They also use a high school field for practice.

South Carolina, LSU and Mississippi State have the best stadiums in all of college baseball.

UF and FSU seem to have much better stadiums as well.

Mississippi, Alabama (imagine what $43M buys you in Tuscaloosa), Arkansas and Georgia all have better stadiums as well.

In Texas, A&M and UT have much better stadiums. Rice's stadium is comparable to Mark Light.

That is why I believe that UM is a top-30 venue.

From what I heard this weekend, the batting cages are fully funded. John Jay, Yonder, Alex Rodrigues, DiMare family and a few others have agreed to donate (not sure on amounts), and they are going to try and re-build the Ron Fraser building as well.

They are hoping for a good year that will generate enthusiasm for the endeavor. The IPF hurts us due to donor fatigue....

Batting cages will be installed either way... That is what I heard today.

ive been to UFs. it isnt that nice nor do i think it is better than light. never been to FSUs

tuition makes a diff esp when the price point is so drastic. not sure where youre going with that

The gnome is a complete fool and a GATOR.....

Teams can fund 11.7 scholarships, leaving 15.3 scholarships that players have to fund on their own. UM players have to fund $699,577 versus $97,629 for either UF or FSU.

USC still dominated at 17 scholarships, and still made it to Omaha at 13 scholarships. They have not been back to Omaha in close to 20 years since scholarships declined to 11.7. USC won 14 championships when the field was equitable....

Advertisement
Back