Given the halfway point what realistic changes would you like at the end of the season?

Assuming the general play calling, O-line, etc. trends continue. Nothing like bags for recruiting or assembling some impossible all-star staff. Also this is assuming Diaz is making the changes.

For me it is:

1) Encourage Blake Baker to look for another DC job. When Manny had more involvement, the defense looked much better. The guy is just collecting a check at this point.
2) Encourage Banda to look for another job. Recruiting has not been great and his time is up as a coach.

*Note: The above two are probably not as realistic given they have followed him and are his proteges, hence the 'encouragement to pursue other jobs'.

3) Fire Butch Barry. Our line is crap, talent or no talent. Many of us have been saying that Zion does not belong here, but I do think another OL coach would make him at the minimum better than this. Just too many issues to keep him. Donaldson blocks like a slob, Campbell hasn't developed at all, etc.

4) Tell Enos to open up the offense more or to look for another job. I think he's actually a very good qb coach, but the complaints about his playcalling are all 100% justified.

5) In response to the Baker firing, hire a full time ST coach/safeties or co-lb coach and make Patke only co-linebackers. Jovan Dewitt, the outside lb and special teams coach at Nebraska for instance. Has great experience at UCF, Army, etc and in his mid-40s.

6) In response to the Banda firing go after a guy like Fran Brown at Temple (their co-DC and like 8 years of secondary experience.), and make him co-DBs/DC (Rumph staying at cbs).

7) In response to the Barry firing, someone who doesn't change jobs every year and has successful track record with all conference linemen in smaller programs like Texas Tech's Steve Farmer (also successful at Utah State and Louisian Monroe) who's been a good line coach for over ten years.

The only way Diaz can win me back is with a top 5 recruiting class for 2020.

The season is shot anyway, so I don't really care if we win 8 games or 6. Just get that top 5 recruiting class.

So whatever needs to happen needs to happen. Be that bags, hiring/firing coaches, whatever. Recruiting rankings matter.

Advertisement
Well, if the head coach made that poor a choice the first time, shouldn't it also be the head coach that goes?
True dat. But given that he made his first move towards changing the way the D is run, I’ll give him this coming offseason and see what other improvements he makes, including firing/hiring and all. If we have the same problems next year, I say an abortion by a wire hanger is warranted.

Assuming the general play calling, O-line, etc. trends continue. Nothing like bags for recruiting or assembling some impossible all-star staff. Also this is assuming Diaz is making the changes.

For me it is:

1) Encourage Blake Baker to look for another DC job. When Manny had more involvement, the defense looked much better. The guy is just collecting a check at this point.
2) Encourage Banda to look for another job. Recruiting has not been great and his time is up as a coach.

*Note: The above two are probably not as realistic given they have followed him and are his proteges, hence the 'encouragement to pursue other jobs'.

3) Fire Butch Barry. Our line is crap, talent or no talent. Many of us have been saying that Zion does not belong here, but I do think another OL coach would make him at the minimum better than this. Just too many issues to keep him. Donaldson blocks like a slob, Campbell hasn't developed at all, etc.

4) Tell Enos to open up the offense more or to look for another job. I think he's actually a very good qb coach, but the complaints about his playcalling are all 100% justified.

5) In response to the Baker firing, hire a full time ST coach/safeties or co-lb coach and make Patke only co-linebackers. Jovan Dewitt, the outside lb and special teams coach at Nebraska for instance. Has great experience at UCF, Army, etc and in his mid-40s.

6) In response to the Banda firing go after a guy like Fran Brown at Temple (their co-DC and like 8 years of secondary experience.), and make him co-DBs/DC (Rumph staying at cbs).

7) In response to the Barry firing, someone who doesn't change jobs every year and has successful track record with all conference linemen in smaller programs like Texas Tech's Steve Farmer (also successful at Utah State and Louisian Monroe) who's been a good line coach for over ten years.
"Encourage?" L-O-L. How about just give them the sack. End of story.

For me it is:

You can solve all seven options - just hire Butch Davis.

Done. And done.

Are you for real! Hire that Herbie CornSUCKER LB/ST assistant! No way Jose! Because the CornSUCKER's linebackers SUCK and their special teams are terrible!

Heck, traditional major college football juggernaut Minnesota RAN THROUGH AND AROUND that CornSUCKER linebacker corps on Saturday! :ttdg2m10mxvzxan.jpg:

Nonetheless, I totally agree with U about Miami's DC and safety's coach and offensive line coach. They all need to hit the road! Now.

And dig this too. CornSUCKER's linebacker sucked last year, too. And that's with your boy Jovanie.
This is your doctor's office calling to remind you that lithium is only effective when you take it.

Advertisement
People keep talking about the defense, but it's been pretty good overall, other than the 42 allowed in the VT game.

We have no hopes of anything other than mediocrity with the O line situation. We need better players and better coaching. That's one place that nobody can look and say it doesn't need a total rebuild.

There is one problem with that, most of that staff was Manny's boys. I said at the beginning the fact that he only fired the O staff was a problem. He needed to up grade the D staff to true Miami level not hire his own replacement at the two bit school he was DC at when Mark hired him. We lost two game to start the season that we were ahead in late in the 4th quarter. Defense loss both those games. VT was just horrible and UVA game was won because offense scored lat to make it 8 point game -- D would have given up a FG for another loss otherwise.

Manny rose to stardom because the bar he was clearing was Al Golden's defense -- some achievement. Anyone notice we are still running with Golden's last recruits at LB? Are there any your studs Manny has recruited to take over?
Amen brother. I’ve said the exact same thing on here many times. Manny lived of turning the worst defense in our history in goldens/noD Into a decent above average one. But because goldens was so bad it made mannys look better then it is. The defense staff that’s here is what manny is sinking or swimming with and the odds are very favorable to sinking. They can’t coach and they can’t recruit, so the question is, what the **** are they good for and why were they hired? And that’s why the administration will be called out this weekend with the banner! Those SOBs need to be put on notice that 4 straight incompetent hires is unacceptable.

Last edited:
Well, if the head coach made that poor a choice the first time, shouldn't it also be the head coach that goes?
Yes and absolutely! Will it happen, probably not but it’s clear now Diaz has no business coaching here and the longer he’s here the deeper this program will sink. And the admin could give two Fvcks! The problem is were fans of a program that doesn’t care about winning, which is why the last 15 years and counting was allowed to happen. It starts at the top and if the top don’t care, then neither does the bottom. We won our 5 national titles in spite of the admin but the game was different then and it’s hard to believe we could ever duplicate that again. Which sadly means we’re probably never gonna win another title and my last memory of a championship game will be that scumbag terry porter robbing us of #6. Smh

Advertisement

The season is shot anyway, so I don't really care if we win 8 games or 6. Just get that top 5 recruiting class.

So whatever needs to happen needs to happen. Be that bags, hiring/firing coaches, whatever. Recruiting rankings matter.

lol you got bags?

Trevon hill starting is what I’d like to see

Hole-e-chit.

Which is it .... you want GR15 or Hill to start b/c Garvin isn't coming off the field.

This thread is literally why 90% of the posters here need to be spayed and neutered.

Hole-e-chit.

Which is it .... you want GR15 or Hill to start b/c Garvin isn't coming off the field.

This thread is literally why 90% of the posters here need to be spayed and neutered.
I think Hill has outplayed garvin in his limited snaps tbh. I love hills motor and he shows up in the run game too

Advertisement
I would like to see a lot of the posters leave the board. That's my end of season hope.

Advertisement

Good to know you've already jumped ship then. We won't have a top 5 class, that is evident right now. With the early signing period, 70 percent of more of the recruits will have signed before the season, bowl game anyhow, is over. Coaches likely won't be let go, in fact I don't see anyone being fired at this point.

So what then for you as a fan?

That's a bad hot take. Hill has been below average in the run game.
Naw, go back and watch the games. Go look at Rousseau 4th and 1 stop, the play before that he helped stop the rb on 3rd and short. Also had another run from the qb stopped a drive or 2 later at the line of scrimmage. It’s a night and day difference in the effort hill plays with too

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back