Given the halfway point what realistic changes would you like at the end of the season?

Assuming the general play calling, O-line, etc. trends continue. Nothing like bags for recruiting or assembling some impossible all-star staff. Also this is assuming Diaz is making the changes.

For me it is:

1) Encourage Blake Baker to look for another DC job. When Manny had more involvement, the defense looked much better. The guy is just collecting a check at this point.
2) Encourage Banda to look for another job. Recruiting has not been great and his time is up as a coach.

*Note: The above two are probably not as realistic given they have followed him and are his proteges, hence the 'encouragement to pursue other jobs'.

3) Fire Butch Barry. Our line is crap, talent or no talent. Many of us have been saying that Zion does not belong here, but I do think another OL coach would make him at the minimum better than this. Just too many issues to keep him. Donaldson blocks like a slob, Campbell hasn't developed at all, etc.

4) Tell Enos to open up the offense more or to look for another job. I think he's actually a very good qb coach, but the complaints about his playcalling are all 100% justified.

5) In response to the Baker firing, hire a full time ST coach/safeties or co-lb coach and make Patke only co-linebackers. Jovan Dewitt, the outside lb and special teams coach at Nebraska for instance. Has great experience at UCF, Army, etc and in his mid-40s.

6) In response to the Banda firing go after a guy like Fran Brown at Temple (their co-DC and like 8 years of secondary experience.), and make him co-DBs/DC (Rumph staying at cbs).

7) In response to the Barry firing, someone who doesn't change jobs every year and has successful track record with all conference linemen in smaller programs like Texas Tech's Steve Farmer (also successful at Utah State and Louisian Monroe) who's been a good line coach for over ten years.

Advertisement
As a first-year HC, I don't see Diaf making any significant to his staff after one season unless we finish 3-9. He'd get the reputation of someone who is quick to throw his assistants under the bus. He made a commitment to Enos and gave him full autonomy to hire his own staff. He awarded Baker with full autonomy but I'd expect for the current staff to remain in place on defense, but Diaf is in charge of that room.

Advertisement
Assuming the general play calling, O-line, etc. trends continue. Nothing like bags for recruiting or assembling some impossible all-star staff. Also this is assuming Diaz is making the changes.

For me it is:

1) Encourage Blake Baker to look for another DC job. When Manny had more involvement, the defense looked much better. The guy is just collecting a check at this point.
2) Encourage Banda to look for another job. Recruiting has not been great and his time is up as a coach.

*Note: The above two are probably not as realistic given they have followed him and are his proteges, hence the 'encouragement to pursue other jobs'.

3) Fire Butch Barry. Our line is crap, talent or no talent. Many of us have been saying that Zion does not belong here, but I do think another OL coach would make him at the minimum better than this. Just too many issues to keep him. Donaldson blocks like a slob, Campbell hasn't developed at all, etc.

4) Tell Enos to open up the offense more or to look for another job. I think he's actually a very good qb coach, but the complaints about his playcalling are all 100% justified.

5) In response to the Baker firing, hire a full time ST coach/safeties or co-lb coach and make Patke only co-linebackers. Jovan Dewitt, the outside lb and special teams coach at Nebraska for instance. Has great experience at UCF, Army, etc and in his mid-40s.

6) In response to the Banda firing go after a guy like Fran Brown at Temple (their co-DC and like 8 years of secondary experience.), and make him co-DBs/DC (Rumph staying at cbs).

7) In response to the Barry firing, someone who doesn't change jobs every year and has successful track record with all conference linemen in smaller programs like Texas Tech's Steve Farmer (also successful at Utah State and Louisian Monroe) who's been a good line coach for over ten years.

Are you for real! Hire that Herbie CornSUCKER LB/ST assistant! No way Jose! Because the CornSUCKER's linebackers SUCK and their special teams are terrible!

Heck, traditional major college football juggernaut Minnesota RAN THROUGH AND AROUND that CornSUCKER linebacker corps on Saturday! :ttdg2m10mxvzxan.jpg:

Nonetheless, I totally agree with U about Miami's DC and safety's coach and offensive line coach. They all need to hit the road! Now.

And dig this too. CornSUCKER's linebacker sucked last year, too. And that's with your boy Jovanie.

For me it is:

Fire the whole unqualified defensive staff and get some dang recruiters on that side of the ball along with Jess Simpson back. Fire Enos, Barry and the receivers coach. Hire a power spread OC and for the love of god hire a ST coach.

For me it is:
Play the right personnel. No favorites. It's about time Greg started at DE, but was that because of Manny or what? Ivey doesn't need to be taking a lot of snaps from Blades. Best safety combo is Bolden and Hall, although 20 hasn't played all that bad this year. Defense has got to disguise better. show multiple looks. Offense Needs to run the freaking ball off tackle more. The ends are coming up field so hard and fast, they're leaving gaping holes to run through, but we don't use them until the 4th qtr when we are trying to run out the clock. We drop back to pass almost every 1st down. Run the freaking ball.

Advertisement
Are you for real! Hire that Herbie CornSUCKER LB/ST assistant! No way Jose! Because the CornSUCKER's linebackers SUCK and their special teams are terrible!

Heck, traditional major college football juggernaut Minnesota RAN THROUGH AND AROUND that CornSUCKER linebacker corps on Saturday! :ttdg2m10mxvzxan.jpg:

Nonetheless, I totally agree with U about Miami's DC and safety's coach and offensive line coach. They all need to hit the road! Now.

And dig this too. CornSUCKER's linebacker sucked last year, too. And that's with your boy Jovanie.

I didn't realize he just had chemo and has been going through throat cancer treatment. Probably has affected him because historically he's been a very good coach.

Advertisement
Fire the whole unqualified defensive staff and get some dang recruiters on that side of the ball along with Jess Simpson back. Fire Enos, Barry and the receivers coach. Hire a power spread OC and for the love of god hire a ST coach.
There is one problem with that, most of that staff was Manny's boys. I said at the beginning the fact that he only fired the O staff was a problem. He needed to up grade the D staff to true Miami level not hire his own replacement at the two bit school he was DC at when Mark hired him. We lost two game to start the season that we were ahead in late in the 4th quarter. Defense loss both those games. VT was just horrible and UVA game was won because offense scored lat to make it 8 point game -- D would have given up a FG for another loss otherwise.

Manny rose to stardom because the bar he was clearing was Al Golden's defense -- some achievement. Anyone notice we are still running with Golden's last recruits at LB? Are there any your studs Manny has recruited to take over?

Advertisement
A made block chain for every lineman that doesn't allow a sack or tackle for loss. This will sadly lead to more 3rd and longs due to delay of game penalties, so a 3rd down conversion trinket will have to be made.

But seriously, Enos opening things up a bit is the most logical choice. Even if it's incrementally. Just get there, somehow.

Well, if the head coach made that poor a choice the first time, shouldn't it also be the head coach that goes?

For me it is:

huh.gif

Advertisement
Back