Given the halfway point what realistic changes would you like at the end of the season?

Assuming the general play calling, O-line, etc. trends continue. Nothing like bags for recruiting or assembling some impossible all-star staff. Also this is assuming Diaz is making the changes.

For me it is:

1) Encourage Blake Baker to look for another DC job. When Manny had more involvement, the defense looked much better. The guy is just collecting a check at this point.
2) Encourage Banda to look for another job. Recruiting has not been great and his time is up as a coach.

*Note: The above two are probably not as realistic given they have followed him and are his proteges, hence the 'encouragement to pursue other jobs'.

3) Fire Butch Barry. Our line is crap, talent or no talent. Many of us have been saying that Zion does not belong here, but I do think another OL coach would make him at the minimum better than this. Just too many issues to keep him. Donaldson blocks like a slob, Campbell hasn't developed at all, etc.

4) Tell Enos to open up the offense more or to look for another job. I think he's actually a very good qb coach, but the complaints about his playcalling are all 100% justified.

5) In response to the Baker firing, hire a full time ST coach/safeties or co-lb coach and make Patke only co-linebackers. Jovan Dewitt, the outside lb and special teams coach at Nebraska for instance. Has great experience at UCF, Army, etc and in his mid-40s.

6) In response to the Banda firing go after a guy like Fran Brown at Temple (their co-DC and like 8 years of secondary experience.), and make him co-DBs/DC (Rumph staying at cbs).

7) In response to the Barry firing, someone who doesn't change jobs every year and has successful track record with all conference linemen in smaller programs like Texas Tech's Steve Farmer (also successful at Utah State and Louisian Monroe) who's been a good line coach for over ten years.
Don't forget Stroud. He was a last second replacement for Simpson and has no business coaching the DL here. Manny brought him in to be on the support staff and that is where he should return. Too many good DL coaches out there for us to be stuck with this bozo.

Advertisement
As a first-year HC, I don't see Diaf making any significant to his staff after one season unless we finish 3-9. He'd get the reputation of someone who is quick to throw his assistants under the bus. He made a commitment to Enos and gave him full autonomy to hire his own staff. He awarded Baker with full autonomy but I'd expect for the current staff to remain in place on defense, but Diaf is in charge of that room.
You are probably right but that doesn't mean him doing so is the right thing to do. We had undefeated with in our grasp and lacked something to take. Maybe we found it this week -- get Manny back in the D and out of everything else. Offense actually scored that crucial last TD, not FG, to ice the game so defense could not give up the winning score again. Now, we need a frigging ST coach still.

You are probably right but that doesn't mean him doing so is the right thing to do. We had undefeated with in our grasp and lacked something to take. Maybe we found it this week -- get Manny back in the D and out of everything else. Offense actually scored that crucial last TD, not FG, to ice the game so defense could not give up the winning score again. Now, we need a frigging ST coach still.

he stepped over baker when he said hes getting back involved on D (and if you watched him on the sidelines, he was def involved with the D on gameday). i do think bakers job is on the line this offseason. enos is a diff story (he was a top candidate and a seemingly HR hire but obviously, armed with results, hasnt looked that way. diaz has to force enos to change the offesnvie scheme in order to fit the roster, unless the OL magically improves this offseason

Advertisement

if your complaint is that the ST sucks bc of the kicking, then no coach will fix that. thats a mental issue with Baxa.

if your complaint is that the ST sucks bc of the kicking, then no coach will fix that. thats a mental issue with Baxa.
ST has sucked for so many years in all fazes that I cannot remember when it did not. Last good thing I remember is the kickoff and punt returns for TDs against OSU in Columbus and that is with Randy. Crappy kickers is relatively new.

ST has sucked for so many years in all fazes that I cannot remember when it did not. Last good thing I remember is the kickoff and punt returns for TDs against OSU in Columbus and that is with Randy. Crappy kickers is relatively new.

benj and miller i beleive. i was at that game. rpovided glimmering hope then we got skunked in the second half. also, dont believe many staffs hire specific ST coaches in College (could be wrong but ive seen a lot pull double duties)

Advertisement
he stepped over baker when he said hes getting back involved on D (and if you watched him on the sidelines, he was def involved with the D on gameday). i do think bakers job is on the line this offseason. enos is a diff story (he was a top candidate and a seemingly HR hire but obviously, armed with results, hasnt looked that way. diaz has to force enos to change the offesnvie scheme in order to fit the roster, unless the OL magically improves this offseason
No issue with any of that but I am interested to see if Enos does better with Manny busy elsewhere. That last score was a killer type thing we have not seen from offense in long time.

No issue with any of that but I am interested to see if Enos does better with Manny busy elsewhere. That last score was a killer type thing we have not seen from offense in long time.

if enos can keep it simple (thats what the last UVA drive was), well be fine on O even if half oour plays are doomed bc of the donaldson eating some donuts and blocking air and zion being a parking cone. UVA is a good D and are coached well and even w that, we left 2 scores out there at a min (the deep shots kosi took were open (at least 2 of them) if he was even remotely accurate there). hopefully we continue seeing something similar going forward or even a reversion to the VT second half/UNC games when we were down big.

benj and miller i beleive. i was at that game. rpovided glimmering hope then we got skunked in the second half. also, dont believe many staffs hire specific ST coaches in College (could be wrong but ive seen a lot pull double duties)
Frist time that ever happened to The Vest before, I think. I can't believe I miss Randy's days. At least we still had speed on the team. We the last of Randy's players left we have looked like a herd of cattle, sometime skinky cattle but always slow cattle.

Frist time that ever happened to The Vest before, I think. I can't believe I miss Randy's days. At least we still had speed on the team. We the last of Randy's players left we have looked like a herd of cattle, sometime skinky cattle but always slow cattle.

i dont miss the randy days, but those were some athletes. itd be ncie if thomas was as good as benjamin was back there. ****, id even take berrios bc we win that UF game w berrios back there fair catching balls

Advertisement
i dont miss the randy days, but those were some athletes. itd be ncie if thomas was as good as benjamin was back there. ****, id even take berrios bc we win that UF game w berrios back there fair catching balls
Like I said, I can't believe ..... That is how long it has been soooooooooooooooo bad.

Can Enos and hire Kevin Wilson from Ohio St. his base is $900k

Fire Todd Stroud and bring in Brick Haley from Mizzou who makes $400k

Fire Butch Barry and bring in Brad Davis, who makes $400k
Need to hire Wilson outright.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back