Gerald Willis vs Ed Oliver

Martycane

Sophomore
I watched Oliver last night. He’s so good he even drew a triple team at least once.
But based on what I’ve seen of Willis this year, I don’t see much, if any, difference between the two.
It is true that Wills is playing with a better defensive line, which makes it harder for OLs to focus on him. And Oliver has a bigger body of work over 2 1/2 years.
Still, as they stand now, they seem pretty even or close to it...

Advertisement
I haven't seen Oliver play much, so I am not even going to try and compare them. But I will say, I believe Oliver must be a TREMENDOUS talent in order to be considered by many the future number 1 pick playing in No D's react and don't attack defense

I give the Slight edge to Oliver becuase he is the better athelete and has equal or better skills than Gerald Willis. They are really two different players imo. Oliver is more of a Suh type DT while Willis is more of a Gerald mccoy/ Aaron Donald type.

I know what you mean and agree that Willis is an absolute MONSTER. But.. Willis is a 23 year old redshirt senior playing in Diaz scheme. Oliver is a 20 year old true junior playing in No D's diarrhea. That may not seem like a big difference but its gotta be something..

I give the Slight edge to Oliver becuase he is the better athelete and has equal or better skills than Gerald Willis. They are really two different players imo. Oliver is more of a Suh type DT while Willis is more of a Gerald mccoy/ Aaron Donald type.
Willis is incredible athlete as well and tested very well in the Nike spark testing. This year willis is playing in a class of his own at dt and it’s not close

Advertisement
Only real difference is Ed Oliver is a better pure athlete and doesn't appear to have an ounce of bad weight on him. He is solid, jacked, and is an amazing athlete.

Showed him mounting a horse last night with no saddle or stirrups. Straight vert off the ground onto the horses back with so much ease.

None of this is meant to slight GW9. He's a fuggin beast and sooooooooooooo glad he is ours

Oliver wins the comparison by being pretty **** dominant for going on three years now. Willis looks as good as any DT in the nation this year. I will say that Willis probably goes up against better competition on a week to week basis. Also, Willis has the prototypical size of an NFL DT. Oliver is probably playing closer to 280 than the 290 UH lists him at. He's a big dude but he's lean for a DT.

Advertisement
I love Willis and his game, but when it comes to Dlinemen, its Ed Oliver and then everyone else. As I said in another post kid is a force of nature.

Go Canes!

I watched Oliver last night. He’s so good he even drew a triple team at least once.
But based on what I’ve seen of Willis this year, I don’t see much, if any, difference between the two.
It is true that Wills is playing with a better defensive line, which makes it harder for OLs to focus on him. And Oliver has a bigger body of work over 2 1/2 years.
Still, as they stand now, they seem pretty even or close to it...

I was actually surprised on how small Oliver is. So I Willis I guess but just thought he was larger

With Willis dominating like he has, hopefully we'll get in the conversation with more top notch out of state DTs - again.

Once we get a dominant DL with the depth, we'll start competing for championships again.

We're getting closer.

Advertisement
With Willis dominating like he has, hopefully we'll get in the conversation with more top notch out of state DTs - again.

Once we get a dominant DL with the depth, we'll start competing for championships again.

We're getting closer.

THIS. If you go back and look at the kids we've put in the NFL Draft over the last 15 years, we've done the worst with DLinemen - especially DTs. And QB is right there, too. Which coincides with our fall from the top.

We get back to pumping out elite DLinemen, and we'll be back in playoff contention.

THIS. If you go back and look at the kids we've put in the NFL Draft over the last 15 years, we've done the worst with DLinemen - especially DTs. And QB is right there, too. Which coincides with our fall from the top.

We get back to pumping out elite DLinemen, and we'll be back in playoff contention.
Just admit Ed Oliver is better dang. It's like pulling teeth to mention props to any of baller not a Cane. You will probably say Kyler Murray is crap

Advertisement
Oliver wins the comparison by being pretty **** dominant for going on three years now. Willis looks as good as any DT in the nation this year. I will say that Willis probably goes up against better competition on a week to week basis. Also, Willis has the prototypical size of an NFL DT. Oliver is probably playing closer to 280 than the 290 UH lists him at. He's a big dude but he's lean for a DT.

He looks closer to 270 pds honestly.

Feel bad for the kid got stuck with No D as a sophomore and immediately before his JR year says im gone after this year!

Ed Oliver is a freak show. At a verified 289 pounds he ran a laser 4.87 40-yard dash. Willis beat him in the short shuttle (4.32 to 4.52), albeit at a lesser weight (275 for Willis), and the short shuttle is the #1 indicator for future success within defensive linemen. Willis also jumped a ticker higher at 31" to 29.9". The vertical jump helps to show initial explosion.

Oliver tested in the 95th percentile of all DT's because of his incredible 40 time at his weight and because he was strong with a Powerball toss of 41'. Willis tested in the 89th percentile on the backs of his short shuttle and vertical jump.

Add Oliver's youth and Willis's off-field concerns and he's the better NFL draft prospect. Key indicators show that Willis has a great chance of being successful in the NFL as well.

Advertisement
Back