Gerald Willis Draft Projection

Advertisement
He was awesome this year, but he's not a first round player.

Not in a year with so many other first round interior defenders.

Even if we are keeping it very real...where would you even slot him among these players...Ed Oliver, Quinnen Williams, Jeffrey Simmons, Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence (who admittedly is a limited player, but a first round projection), Jerry Tillery, Rashan Gary, Raekwon Davis, DreMont Jones, Derrick Brown...

Now consider, in most years, the 5th iDL player is coming off the board somewhere on average in the middle of the second round.

I think you guys calling for the first round don't quite understand how the process works.

If I were just throw out a hypothetical draft ceiling for Willis...late 2nd, early 3rd round...provided he tests well and does well in interviews. But also, low key, could see him sliding a bit further. You've got to remember, he was an undraftable player 6 months ago. The leap from that to first round doesn't happen very often.

Advertisement
He was awesome this year, but he's not a first round player.

Not in a year with so many other first round interior defenders.

Even if we are keeping it very real...where would you even slot him among these players...Ed Oliver, Quinnen Williams, Jeffrey Simmons, Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence (who admittedly is a limited player, but a first round projection), Jerry Tillery, Rashan Gary, Raekwon Davis, DreMont Jones, Derrick Brown...

Now consider, in most years, the 5th iDL player is coming off the board somewhere on average in the middle of the second round.

I think you guys calling for the first round don't quite understand how the process works.

If I were just throw out a hypothetical draft ceiling for Willis...late 2nd, early 3rd round...provided he tests well and does well in interviews. But also, low key, could see him sliding a bit further. You've got to remember, he was an undraftable player 6 months ago. The leap from that to first round doesn't happen very often.

Willis is better than everybody you named on the list

He is better than most of his DT peers at rushing the passer. If you can’t rush the passer at DT in the NFL you cannot play.

Richt and Diaz willl vouch for him on off field stuff but might not be enough to push him into the first.

Late second or early third round, some games against better o-line did not dominate. Better then Norton last year and many thought he was going higher!

Advertisement
Some guys were joking that willis was named a 2nd team all-acc but could be potentially a 1st team all american lol

Let's see, picking in the first round I can choose someone who has been dominant and dependable throughout their life, or I can pick Gerald Willis.

Tough call

One fired general manager after another made the most recent item on the plate the aspect they prioritized most in the first round pick.

Certainly there are examples the other way. I always have to remind myself of the message board desperation toward outliers. Much more often than not it is wise to take the player who has proven it time and again. Later in the draft the gambles are more sensible and less costly.
Your posts are reliably ******

Advertisement
Other than the cat from Houston I don’t put anyone clearly above GW.

They dont need to be clearly above you. They just need to be above you to push you much further down,...because they have higher stock and a number of teams dont have a pressing need @ DT

I wouldn't be surprised to see him going in 1st round

But most likely the 2nd.

Would really be surprised if he dropped to the 3rd or lower

Advertisement
Depends on off the field issues. We as fans hear about them but dont always know the extent until the combine/draft time. We find out that a guy who we assumed only had "issues" put a guy into a coma and has always had erratic behavior.

I'd say late 1st- early 2nd though. Deep DL class.

Whatever he ends up, he's a model for all the non-RB guys who leave too early. The NFL wants experience and evidence of production - not just speculative potential. Another year in college isn't merely "miles," "tread" or a "wasted year not making money" the way agents try to pitch prospects.

Advertisement
Back