Georgia Tech @ Canes - Game 3- 2:55pm ACCNX

Rosario is just so disappointing. And yes it’s mostly on him. But I mentioned in another thread don’t be surprised if he gets drafted…and potentially high by the right club he will be an absolute steal. They will work on pitch design and tinker with his grips. It’s clear his two seam and slider both are just a hair off. Some of it is opening up and spinning off it but his finger placement, pressure, etc. could all be leading to some of the issues too
He'll never progress past High A.

Advertisement
From an RPI perspective, the wins were negligibly positive and both losses were bad. We absolutely cannot afford to lose any more non conference games. Even on the road, Wednesday night did t of damage.
I'm trying to remember from years past, what RPI range do they need to stay in for postseason purposes? 40s range?

I'm trying to remember from years past, what RPI range do they need to stay in for postseason purposes? 40s range?

Last year, everyone in the top 30 made it in.

31, 32, 33, 38, and 39 did not get selected.

40, 41, 45, 47, and 51 DID make it in as at-large selections.

Conference finish seems to be a more important factor than RPI by itself.

Wander covered the RPI end. Get to .500 or better league play plus the tournament. If we’re having that conversation on selection day, it’s been an epic collapse. The RPI drop is mainly problematic from a hosting perspective. We really need next weekend from an RPI boost perspective now with the road bonus.

I’d expect Rosario to be the game two starter next weekend. Someone needs to pitch on two day short rest, and it shouldn’t be Ligon.

Advertisement
I’d expect Rosario to be the game two starter next weekend. Someone needs to pitch on two day short rest, and it shouldn’t be Ligon.
I agree on Ligon, but why not Torres/Chestnutt for game 2, and Johnny wholestaff on Tuesday (or at least sit him the week after since we don't have a mid-week game)? We're putting way too much pressure on Ziehl and Ligon to win every start w Rosario as an almost automatic loss when he starts.

The team is now 2 - 4 in conference games he's started (and one of those two W's was a 7 ER outing in 5 innings vs VT).

I agree on Ligon, but why not Torres/Chestnutt for game 2, and Johnny wholestaff on Tuesday (or at least sit him the week after since we don't have a mid-week game)? We're putting way too much pressure on Ziehl and Ligon to win every start w Rosario as an almost automatic loss when he starts.

The team is now 2 - 4 in conference games he's started (and one of those two W's was a 7 ER outing in 5 innings vs VT).
I think I’m at the I’ll believe he’s out of the rotation when he’s out of the rotation phase.

Duke will be in 1st place in the Coastal after the weekend if UVA loses and gets swept by ND.
ND sweeps UVA.
Coastal: 1. Duke 12-8. 2. Virginia 12-9. 3. Miami 12-9.
It's starting to look like the ACC is Wake and everyone else. And the SEC now has 6 of the top RPI ratings - ugh.
Yes. This is why it's important to finish high in the ACC and RPI. We want to be high on the pecking order for the ACC not only to host, but to get a good draw in our bracket.

It's going to be a crazy finish in the ACC. Duke is now in 1st place in the Coastal. Teams that were at the bottom of the league like Duke, VT, ND and Clemson are surging while others such as UNC and Louisville could wind up on the bubble if they continue to slide down the stretch. If we went in and swept Louisville (not likely), they'd fall to 8-13 in ACC play. Even a series loss for them could put them on the bubble if not already there. Same for UNC who is 1-5 in their last 2 ACC series.

Both Louisville and UNC are sitting 5th in each division. I think the ACC will get 8, maybe 9 teams.

The Louisville series is going to be a grind much like the UNC series. Louisville desperately needs to win the series to ensure a post season. Miami needs a series win to lock in as a regional host.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am extremely cautiously optimistic that we can find a way to win the louisville series. Unfortunately, the weather in Louisville doesn't look promising for this weekend. After Louisville we play eight straight against teams in the 80s or worse from an RPI standpoint.

They need to treat Rosario like a long reliever who happens to start the game. Hope to get 3-4 good innings, but don't wait for trouble to happen. Have the bullpen ready at the first sign of trouble because Rosario has rarely shown the ability to get out of trouble unscatheed.

They need to treat Rosario like a long reliever who happens to start the game. Hope to get 3-4 good innings, but don't wait for trouble to happen. Have the bullpen ready at the first sign of trouble because Rosario has rarely shown the ability to get out of trouble unscatheed.
The problem is that Gino doesn't operate that way - I can count on one hand the number of times he had a quick hook. I'd rather start w Torres if we're going to basically use a 2 - 3 inning opener in game 3, especially in the post-season where it is so important to have an early lead.

He got into trouble early last game and has shown he can get rocked in any inning, any time. His only value is a result of scarcity: he should be pitching only mid week games and preferably garbage time. His ERA is 8.93 with a 1.77 WHIP. In ACC play, his ERA is 9.38. That is dead LAST in the ACC. His freshman year, his ACC ERA was 6.35, good for 5th worse in the ACC. He has gotten worse every season of his college career.

Advertisement
He got into trouble early last game and has shown he can get rocked in any inning, any time. His only value is a result of scarcity: he should be pitching only mid week games and preferably garbage time. His ERA is 8.93 with a 1.77 WHIP. In ACC play, his ERA is 9.38. That is dead LAST in the ACC. His freshman year, his ACC ERA was 6.35, good for 5th worse in the ACC. He has gotten worse every season of his college career.
I only gave the laughing reaction to this post because it hurts so bad that I just have to laugh 🤣

What a truly terrible career he’s had. And I mean that with the most respect you could possibly give in this situation because he seems like a great young man. Just a awful pitcher

The problem is that Gino doesn't operate that way - I can count on one hand the number of times he had a quick hook. I'd rather start w Torres if we're going to basically use a 2 - 3 inning opener in game 3, especially in the post-season where it is so important to have an early lead.
He's the very opposite of NC State's coach Elliot Avent who happens to be his friend. Avent has the quickest hook I've seen in college baseball and he always has arms warming up in the bullpen. I remember a couple of years ago, Avent pulled his starter in the 2nd inning and there was just a couple of runners on base. I was like wow!!! If he doesn't like what he sees, he makes a quick change whereas Gino rolls the dice seeing if his pitcher can regain his command and get himself out of a jam.

I think it may come down to a lack of trust. Only trusting a few arms reducing the number of guys who actually pitch. Perhaps not happy where some of the guys are at in their development. This puts pressure on everyone to pitch well or give up a lot of runs.

Our pitchers a disservice by leaving them in the game. They blow up their ERA before they get pulled instead of making a change and putting out the fire.

Advertisement
Back