Gentleman, we have a real football program. (Clinic recap)

Advertisement
What's your infatuation with Butch Davis when unlike so many Miami head coaches before him won nothing? I mean, Jimmy Johnson, he's not.

TrumpyCane wants to know your infatuation with this board?

Does your wife/husband/cousin not please you enough that you have to come on another team’s board that isn’t in your conference or even play regularly

What's your infatuation with Butch Davis when unlike so many Miami head coaches before him won nothing? I mean, Jimmy Johnson, he's not.

d3ec0ca9dfc81a28817a6d1662234087.gif

Advertisement
I went like 8 months ago and was disappointed to say the least. Won't be back myself.
yup,

there's a place called Pig Floyd in Palmetto Bay. Marc Buoniconti and i think Craig Erickson and other bought in. I saw Zo there a bunch when it opened two summers ago. i wouldn't say it is great, but it is better than Shortys, by a lot. however, i don't know what happened but they moved locations from one day to another to US1 and 145th street. anyways, better than Shortys.

Keep going South on US1, stop at Shiver's (I heard it was opened by one of Shorty's angry cousins), get the fried corn. Trust me.
Dude, that was my grandmother's other spot. The fried corn is ridiculously good. Great Q too.

Guys, it would not surprise me if we were actually kinda good this year. I know new staffs and new systems come with growing pains sometimes, but from what I've seen so far, they have made massive strides in a short period of time.

Whether we're actually good or not this season, we'll have to see. There's still roster deficiencies.

I do know where we're headed though. And that's elite level. It's just a matter of time.
And if Mario is able to do that, I don't see us falling off for a long time. He ain't going anywhere IMO. It was told to me that he has aspirations of surpassing Saban. He wants to be on THAT level. Someone who is competing for titles on a regular basis and is top-5 in the country yearly. We all know that's lofty expectations, but that's where his head is at.

I also see us as a destination where coaches come, get better, win, and move on to HC or coordinator positions...much like we used to be...and how Bama is now. Gattis, Ponce, Addae are the first 3 guys that come to mind. I can see all 3 of them eventually getting promotions, either at Miami or somewhere else. Addae has future DC vibes, Gattis future HC and Ponce probably taking over as OC here. Mario certainly didn't hire any inexperienced slapd!cks like Manny did.

Lots of buzz around the program right now. Plenty of high school coaches were thoroughly impressed.
I want to be careful here, there's already way too much "10 wins is our flooooor!" nonsense. That said, I think that even with holes in the roster we could be a 10 win team this year. I'm not saying we will, but I think it's possible. If these guys are doing this kind of work, it's possible they can get everything installed and everybody playing well enough to be significantly better than last year. Or this could be a growing pains season. What I'm thinking is that for years we've lost to teams that shouldn't beat us. Teams that can't even match up to our roster holes, but are just better coached. So if we can even up that coaching, even a little, we could win more games. The bamas of the world will still take our lunch money, but not UNC. Or f*cking fsu. Anyway, thanks for the info, it's great to get a glimps of the inside of the program. Cheers.

Advertisement
Do y'all understand what it is to play into your strengths? Would you not agree physical play has been there strengths? The wideouts were basic & the QB play has been a lil above average. What's conducive out of that towards a high powered offense if it isn't based in pounding the ball?

Above average?

You must mean the total value of Oregon’s quarterbacks including Herbert. The guys that Michigan and Oregon after Herbert had? Calling them average is generous lol. But hey, that’s somebody baby so we ain’t gotta go all the way in on them.

What you said about their receivers is spot on. McNamara couldn’t hit a a aircraft carrier with a bazooka past 15 yards and his guys weren’t exactly blowing past defenders all game.

There are HUGE parts of the playbook Gattis wouldn’t even think about opening with the quarterback and receivers he had. This isn’t like the last three coordinators we have had, especially Richt and Enos. Gattis isn’t going to waste plays chasing deep balls we have no chance of hitting.

The thing that gets me is, Gattis used McNamara the way I wished we would have used Rosier. We could have won a few more games.

It’s easy to call plays to attack downfield. It’s a lot harder to execute them. Gattis is going to keep us ahead of the chains and that alone will destroy 95% of our opponents. If we can get the run blocking to an above average level AND cut TVD loose? Play a requiem cause the rest of the ACC will be dearly departed.

yup,

there's a place called Pig Floyd in Palmetto Bay. Marc Buoniconti and i think Craig Erickson and other bought in. I saw Zo there a bunch when it opened two summers ago. i wouldn't say it is great, but it is better than Shortys, by a lot. however, i don't know what happened but they moved locations from one day to another to US1 and 145th street. anyways, better than Shortys.
Pig Floyd's originated in Orlando and it's absolutely awesome. But by no means is it a traditional country BBQ joint like , Shivers, Shorty's or even Sonny's for that matter. Pig Floyd's is bbq with a Latin flare. I believe they refer to it as Urban Barboca. Now if you're looking for some traditional country style BBQ, then there's nothing out there that compares to 4 Rivers in Orlando. It's so freaking good. The owner / chef John Rivers knocked it out of the park with the 4 Rivers concept. Game changer for sure. Lines out the door every day and for good reason.

Advertisement
Above average?

You must mean the total value of Oregon’s quarterbacks including Herbert. The guys that Michigan and Oregon after Herbert had? Calling them average is generous lol. But hey, that’s somebody baby so we ain’t gotta go all the way in on them.

What you said about their receivers is spot on. McNamara couldn’t hit a a aircraft carrier with a bazooka past 15 yards and his guys weren’t exactly blowing past defenders all game.

There are HUGE parts of the playbook Gattis wouldn’t even think about opening with the quarterback and receivers he had. This isn’t like the last three coordinators we have had, especially Richt and Enos. Gattis isn’t going to waste plays chasing deep balls we have no chance of hitting.

The thing that gets me is, Gattis used McNamara the way I wished we would have used Rosier. We could have won a few more games.

It’s easy to call plays to attack downfield. It’s a lot harder to execute them. Gattis is going to keep us ahead of the chains and that alone will destroy 95% of our opponents. If we can get the run blocking to an above average level AND cut TVD loose? Play a requiem cause the rest of the ACC will be dearly departed.

Just go back to the season that Kenny Kelly and Ken Dorsey both played in 1999

Thats where the Coker-T( two fights, two backs, just 1 WR) was hatched as KK had issues(and Im told he had problems grasping the whole system because of his baseball duties), then when that skinny freshman from California started playing, it became a MUCH different offense

Dorsey had the capabilities of running a much more well-rounded offense

Advertisement
Just go back to the season that Kenny Kelly and Ken Dorsey both played in 1999

Thats where the Coker-T( two fights, two backs, just 1 WR) was hatched as KK had issues(and Im told he had problems grasping the whole system because of his baseball duties), then when that skinny freshman from California started playing, it became a MUCH different offense

Dorsey had the capabilities of running a much more well-rounded offense

I watch those games and wonder what could have been if Kelly focused only on football. He was a great athlete and **** good quarterback. He could throw 70 yards in the air and had good accuracy.

He would make the most bonehead decisions though. He couldn’t get away with playing the hero ball that made him a SUPERSTAR in high school. On this level, you really have to focus and prepare.

He threw a ton of picks. Dorsey stepped up and made history, but a fully focused Kelly could have been a high draft pick leading that offense.

He was so erratic and got us thumped by V Tech in 99. He got hurt or benched, Dorsey came in and it was a wrap.

I watch those games and wonder what could have been if Kelly focused only on football. He was a great athlete and **** good quarterback. He could throw 70 yards in the air and had good accuracy.

He would make the most bonehead decisions though. He couldn’t get away with playing the hero ball that made him a SUPERSTAR in high school. On this level, you really have to focus and prepare.

He threw a ton of picks. Dorsey stepped up and made history, but a fully focused Kelly could have been a high draft pick leading that offense.

He was so erratic and got us thumped by V Tech in 99. He got hurt or benched, Dorsey came in and it was a wrap.

if you go back to the game vs BC in 1999, Miami was down 28-0 halfway through the 3rd quarter, Looked dead in the water

Then out of desperation they want to a spread no-huddle, and KK started to play MUCH better. That was his game. Not the pro-set we had him running

That was the offense we should have shifted to with him. Same thing with Berlin after the comeback vs Florida in 2003.

All the signs were there to really evolve our offenses and be ahead of the curve. Instead they kept fitting a square peg into a round hole with certain QB's

Dorsey got clobbered that night and was a deer in headlights when he was thrown into fire once KK left the game. I think KK got hurt and I remember saying to myself, we're ***ed. Boy..... I was never happier to be wrong. What a run KD had.

if you go back to the game vs BC in 1999, Miami was down 28-0 halfway through the 3rd quarter, Looked dead in the water

Then out of desperation they want to a spread no-huddle, and KK started to play MUCH better. That was his game. Not the pro-set we had him running

That was the offense we should have shifted to with him. Same thing with Berlin after the comeback vs Florida in 2003.

All the signs were there to really evolve our offenses and be ahead of the curve. Instead they kept fitting a square peg into a round hole with certain QB's
What a game. I was 17 years old and watched the game at my boys house. Was so furious about the first 3 quarters, I left the little party because I couldn’t take another East Carolina type of game. Put the game on to see the score when I arrived home and we were about to win the game. Missed the entire comeback.

Advertisement
Back