Gentleman, we have a real football program. (Clinic recap)

I'm curious why all these comments on here. I obviously don't know your level of football comprehension & I'm not trying to take a shot at you or anyone else. But anyone who watched gattis offense learned one thing first & foremost. He's proven his versatility. He's proven that he calls a game based on his players strengths. We all understand our players strengths at this point. We also SHOULD understand neglecting to attempt to establish the run isn't conducive to winning at big time football. Time of possession is real. Just my two cents here, but I'd say it would be BAT**** ****** CRAZY to question the dude who literally won the award for top assistant in the country JUST LAST YEAR before he's even called one play of live football...
The point for me is we are all going to have areas of concern even if it's all relative. Like if I'm going to be worried about anything Offensively it just has to be A) The Oline (but that's not a sign I don't trust Mario/Mirabal) and B) making sure we get everything out of TVD we can. For me it's not really thinking Gattis isn't the guy either. But I think it's pretty clear that There were definitely other types of offenses where I think it'd be absolutely clear that TVD would be showcased - thus eliminating that as a potential worry. In that case maybe the OLine and the run game would likely be become the new worry/area of concern. Personally I'm not really of the opinion that Mario ****ed Justin herberts final year up or anything, but it'd also be a lie to say that the offense he chose fully elevated Justin Herbert. And QB performance is the position that can singlehandedly dictate whether we have 11 wins or 9 wins... You have an elite QB at Miami and put him in the position to shine, and there is no reason we can't win the ACC this year.

Advertisement
DAY TWO:

Had to grab some of that cafecito from the little Spanish spot next to my house because the girls working there are thick! I originally only went in there to see them, but now my *** is addicted to "un colada!"
View attachment 180403

They had a couple beautiful/friendly ladies serving up continental breakfast. I don't know who's wives they were, but lawd! Ya boy Macho was going back for seconds.
View attachment 180404

This is what I've been waiting for. I wanted to see practice. Up close and personal. I wanted to feel the energy.
View attachment 180405

First and foremost, the energy and tempo at practice is unbelievable. Nothing like we've seen here in a long time. There is absolutely zero stagnant movement or downtime. There are coaches all over the place and the attention to detail is extreme. You can tell that a few players are still getting used to the new tempo. I was mostly concerned with what we're going to be doing on the back end of our defense, so I paid the most attention to Addae and Steele during individual drills. TC looked to be the most polished CB with Blades following right behind. There was a lot of man technique teaching. I don't know what our previous staff taught, but Addae had to go back to square one apparently. You ever wondered why we struggled in man coverage under manny, and why Blades would continue to get beat inside like a drum? Welp. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I know it's still early, but I haven't seen the defense look this stingy in a long time. Don't get me wrong, the offense made their share of plays, but they have good players too. What I liked the most during 11-on-11 was how contested most plays are. Even if a guy catches a ball, there's a tackler right on top of him. No more simple dump off routes going for 20 yards.
Also the LB's look 10x better in this scheme. Steed is playing some ball.
We're playing a lot of cover-3 so you will see Safeties roaming in the box, specifically Williams from what I saw.
Also Avantae is a freakin' stud. He had several great plays on the football, and made a good open field hit on X. Restrepo caught the ball in the open field and was about to get jiggy when Tae broke down and smacked him. He's going to thrive in this scheme. Overall the tackling looks much better so far largely due to the simple fact that defenders know exactly where they're supposed to be, and there's not as much open field, even when somebody catches the ball.

TC and Ivey were the first team CB's with Blades at the Nickel spot. Williams and Tae at the starting Safeties.

I loved the energy and competition I saw from both sides of the ball. Defense made their share of big plays and both sides were competing and getting rowdy. You really can't help it, because the energy at Greentree is infectious.

Steele described us as a "press team". We will be pressing on the outside majority of the time even in zone coverage.
We will base out of a 4-front but will also utilize plenty of Odd front stuff. (specifically the "Mint" front aka Tite Front)
In reference to who will be manning the Rush OLB spot (aka The Jack) Steele said...
"We have a kid who's gonna be a great one, he's just built like a pencil right now."
Interesting tidbit - Steele has 18 different coverages to defend Trips (3x1) formations.
This guy is a defensive wizard. We're lucky to have him.

Steele on the board while I annoy him with 39 different questions...
View attachment 180413

Oh, and there were cookies too.
View attachment 180414
Great great stuff bro!

Love this staff. Love having a defensive guru like Steele. I can hardly wait for the season!

Typical keyboard assassin who'd do nothing but run his pockets in the real world. The hoe should've been used to dredge the ground and bury your ***** *** in it before you could start wasting tax payer money. If only your mother would've been a lil more into anal the likelihood of you wasting breath would've been substantially less...
This may be the post of the year for me.

To clarify the "modern wing-t" comment...

Gattis offense shows wing-t concepts, but that's not the basis of the offense itself.

For example...

*He'll line-up in a tight trips bunch set left.
*He'll pull one Guard to the right...
*He'll also send the RB blocking to the right...
(essentially adding a second puller)
*And then hand the ball off to one of the WR's from the bunch on a reverse.

This is essentially just Buck Sweep, which is an old Wing-T staple.

Or...

*He'll line-up in 11 personnel with an H-back...
*He'll pull the H-back across the formation to block...with a Guard...
*Then hand the ball to the RB to follow.

It's good stuff and adds variety to the running game. He can run the same exact play but in a variety of ways.
Thanks Coach! I knew what you meant though. We're going to have a very effective running game this year because the OL is getting substantially better coaching and the OC's run game consists of much more than inside zone 31 times a game.

I'm curious @Coach Macho

Have you seen any Satterfield run concepts? Anything resemble what Mike McDaniel did in San Francisco? Just curious really.

Advertisement
I'm curious why all these comments on here. I obviously don't know your level of football comprehension & I'm not trying to take a shot at you or anyone else. But anyone who watched gattis offense learned one thing first & foremost. He's proven his versatility. He's proven that he calls a game based on his players strengths. We all understand our players strengths at this point. We also SHOULD understand neglecting to attempt to establish the run isn't conducive to winning at big time football. Time of possession is real. Just my two cents here, but I'd say it would be BAT**** ****** CRAZY to question the dude who literally won the award for top assistant in the country JUST LAST YEAR before he's even called one play of live football...
Agree 150% Mario, Gattis and the offensive staff know what the heck they are doing. They know that they are coaching at UM. They know the players and what they can and can't do. The running game is extremely important and will be treated as such but things will be based on what this offense does best. With TVD at QB you shouldn't expect Gattis to run 3 yards and a cloud of dust type football. The offense will be exciting and explosive. Count on it!

What a great feeling reading this writeup and the one by Macho. When Mario was hired I was all in. I never worried about the coach hires or the recruiting. I just worried about how quickly he could turn things around. Looks like 3-5 years is now 1-3 years given how committed Mario and the 3 billionaires are to competing and building a dominant organization.

All that said, I can’t say I love reading about our defense as is. It seems every position needs more talent except safety. The portal thread is now the first one I read every time I jump back on.

Advertisement
We've used shorties forever. Kehoe is actually a partner there because it was his way to save on our old online room dinners. He used to take his room there every Thursday night and those boys would fvck **** up. Same thing with big cheese and several rooms.
Bruh...Shorty's was my grandmother's spot when we would head down to the Keys to go fishing. I would always try and race my uncle to see who could finish our corn on the cob first. I never beat him. Lol. That corn was and still is blazing hot when it comes to the table. Don't even get me started on the shorts sauce!! So freaking good. Shortys is south Florida treasure for sure.

Typical keyboard assassin who'd do nothing but run his pockets in the real world. The hoe should've been used to dredge the ground and bury your ***** *** in it before you could start wasting tax payer money. If only your mother would've been a lil more into anal the likelihood of you wasting breath would've been substantially less...

1648531880633.png

Advertisement
Does anyone have an idea about who Steele was referring to when he said that they have a kid who's going to be a great one(at the rush OLB Jack position) but he's built like a pencil right now?

Advertisement
DAY TWO:

Had to grab some of that cafecito from the little Spanish spot next to my house because the girls working there are thick! I originally only went in there to see them, but now my *** is addicted to "un colada!"
View attachment 180403

They had a couple beautiful/friendly ladies serving up continental breakfast. I don't know who's wives they were, but lawd! Ya boy Macho was going back for seconds.
View attachment 180404

This is what I've been waiting for. I wanted to see practice. Up close and personal. I wanted to feel the energy.
View attachment 180405

First and foremost, the energy and tempo at practice is unbelievable. Nothing like we've seen here in a long time. There is absolutely zero stagnant movement or downtime. There are coaches all over the place and the attention to detail is extreme. You can tell that a few players are still getting used to the new tempo. I was mostly concerned with what we're going to be doing on the back end of our defense, so I paid the most attention to Addae and Steele during individual drills. TC looked to be the most polished CB with Blades following right behind. There was a lot of man technique teaching. I don't know what our previous staff taught, but Addae had to go back to square one apparently. You ever wondered why we struggled in man coverage under manny, and why Blades would continue to get beat inside like a drum? Welp. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I know it's still early, but I haven't seen the defense look this stingy in a long time. Don't get me wrong, the offense made their share of plays, but they have good players too. What I liked the most during 11-on-11 was how contested most plays are. Even if a guy catches a ball, there's a tackler right on top of him. No more simple dump off routes going for 20 yards.
Also the LB's look 10x better in this scheme. Steed is playing some ball.
We're playing a lot of cover-3 so you will see Safeties roaming in the box, specifically Williams from what I saw.
Also Avantae is a freakin' stud. He had several great plays on the football, and made a good open field hit on X. Restrepo caught the ball in the open field and was about to get jiggy when Tae broke down and smacked him. He's going to thrive in this scheme. Overall the tackling looks much better so far largely due to the simple fact that defenders know exactly where they're supposed to be, and there's not as much open field, even when somebody catches the ball.

TC and Ivey were the first team CB's with Blades at the Nickel spot. Williams and Tae at the starting Safeties.

I loved the energy and competition I saw from both sides of the ball. Defense made their share of big plays and both sides were competing and getting rowdy. You really can't help it, because the energy at Greentree is infectious.

Steele described us as a "press team". We will be pressing on the outside majority of the time even in zone coverage.
We will base out of a 4-front but will also utilize plenty of Odd front stuff. (specifically the "Mint" front aka Tite Front)
In reference to who will be manning the Rush OLB spot (aka The Jack) Steele said...
"We have a kid who's gonna be a great one, he's just built like a pencil right now."
Interesting tidbit - Steele has 18 different coverages to defend Trips (3x1) formations.
This guy is a defensive wizard. We're lucky to have him.

Steele on the board while I annoy him with 39 different questions...
View attachment 180413

Oh, and there were cookies too.
View attachment 180414
Glad to hear that our LB’s are playing 10x at a higher level than under Manolo’s regime.

I said it many times in many different threads over the last few years. The problem hasn’t been the players, it’s been the ****** corch and his scheme.

Shaq, Pinckney and McCloud were never the same after their 1st year, which was the year that Mandy let them play freely, without too much bullshyt on their minds. Once he got his hooks into them, they progressively got worse. Same goes for all of these kids that we have on the roster.

People that shytted on the LB room are gonna be eating some crow with a nice side helping of mojones a la carte.

As I have also stated many times, it is almost an impossibility that all of the LB’s that we brought in for the last 7-8 years all sucked. The odds of that happening are astronomical, specially when you consider that some of our dudes are very athletic with high upside.

Can’t wait for the spring game!

Jesus Christ 😂😂😂😂😂

Yoooo @Brooklyndee went in on this guy like Ice Cube NO VASELINE. My guy came with violence 💯 I'm here for it lol

Ice Cube Yes GIF
car happens GIF

ice cube film GIF
@Brooklyndee you deaded my mans. Dayam!

Advertisement
Back