Gentleman, we have a real football program. (Clinic recap)

The key IMO is what they do when they play a Clemson or Bama type and don't win the line of scrimmage. How sophisticated is their passing, how much practice reps do they put into that, how comfortable are they shifting away from run heavy into a different game plan.

This is my only concern.

What do we do when we are completely overmatched physically?

The reason I was big on the Brady hire is he has a short passing game that is quicker than the quickest for when the offfensive line is losing bad. Very few (if any?)coaches have that at this level.

Georgia completely destroyed Michigan up front and Gattis’ very good short passing game had no shot. There was not going to be any deep throws. There was no time. He needed plays that were quicker than even quick, but it wasn’t there.

There are only a handful of teams that can do that to us in the country. Gattis knows how to dominate an Ohio State level defense, but Georgia was on some historic ****. His synergy between the run game and short-intermediate passing game will dominate the vast majority of our opponents. His passing game will look better and get more big plays downfield because TVD is a lot better than the guy he had at Michigan.

If we make a playoff run, he will have to grow or there will be the same result. A Brady-like short passing game won’t guarantee victory, but it would give us a shot against ultra elite front 7s.

Advertisement
Georgia just won the NC running the ball. Oklahoma has a wide open offence….but look over the last bunch of years with Heisman QB’s and you’ll see they had more run than pass plays.

If we want to win we need to be more efficient running the ball, it will improve the pass game and make it even better.

Gattis was at Bama when they were running it 571 to 438 passes…with Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle and Smith.

We will have a balanced O that will be much better than what we’ve seen here in a long time.
Georgias defense also isn’t too bad…may have had something to do with it.

And you can’t make that bama comparison. First of all bamas average margin of victory that year was 4 tds, you’re not going to pass the ball all game when you’re up by 3-4 scores and don’t need to. Also, they averaged 343 yds passing per game and 148 on the ground. When you average 16 yds per completion, you’re not going to throw it much more than 25-30 times a game like they did.

If we are winning games by 4 tds and go 14-1, no one will be dissecting our run/pass ratio

Awesome! Thanks Macho. I'm gonna try to make it down (from GA) next year. Time for me to start planning now. $50 is a steal for what you normally spend on coaching clinics. The speakers and presentations alone was worth more than that.
Macho.........great job. Two keys for me:

The program has a buzz around it that has not been there for a long time, that means the pipeline to Coaches and recruiting is a pathway paved to the U, so Mario is priming the pump for recruits down the road..

The other is.............. for $200 this would be a steal. Just the goodies that you showed are worth more than $50.
Think of the time and knowledge and that in itself is worth hundreds.....seriously....plus the information to take back is huge.

First class all the way as only Mario can schedule, plan, and execute.....

Georgias defense also isn’t too bad…may have had something to do with it.

And you can’t make that bama comparison. First of all bamas average margin of victory that year was 4 tds, you’re not going to pass the ball all game when you’re up by 3-4 scores and don’t need to. Also, they averaged 343 yds passing per game and 148 on the ground. When you average 16 yds per completion, you’re not going to throw it much more than 25-30 times a game like they did.

If we are winning games by 4 tds and go 14-1, no one will be dissecting our run/pass ratio
They also had a walk on quarterback and won. My point is that good teams are able to run the ball. I think having a diverse run game will make it much harder on the defence to defend than what we saw called with Lashlee. Obviously as we get better on the line and continue to build talent the ability to do so against top teams will improve.

I still think we will see TVD put up 300+ a game, but hopefully we can also rush closer to 200 than 100.

Amazing post and much appreciated!

Totally shocked that it turned into the same tired conversation over and over again

But I’m ready for this season to start right now

Advertisement
What an awesome post. I was anxiously waiting for Day 2 writeup. Thank you!

Love to see the positive read on Steed. So excited to see him succeed.

Mario Said we will be balanced but the numbers will be dictated by RPO decisions which account for 10% of plays. So it eeems we will be run 45%, pass45%, RPO 10%. That seems balanced with the ability to adjust to what the defense tries to do. Versatile, balanced, and not rigid…can’t be upset with the approach.

Gattis does some really nice things offensively. He went into detail and showed the crowd some tape. A lot of 11 and 12 personnel. Very run heavy. A lot of variations in their run game. No more Inside Zone 37 times in a row. Gattis and Mirabal both spoke about establishing and identity. And some of the techniques we're teaching on ol, or very imposing and have the ability to wear down defensive players. You definitely can't be a pu$sy and play in this offense. Even the WR's are required to block a lot. Matter of fact, Gattis actually pulls H-Backs and WR's and asks them to block. Honestly, some of his stuff acts like a modern-day Wing-T out of the shotgun. My only question is, how will this offense resonate with South Florida skill kids? I guess we'll see.
LT mentioned his ribs hurting after practice due to new OL techniques. What are they doing differently?

Advertisement
Awesome! Thanks Macho. I'm gonna try to make it down (from GA) next year. Time for me to start planning now. $50 is a steal for what you normally spend on coaching clinics. The speakers and presentations alone was worth more than that.
If it leads to another O-line clinic story like your last one, I’ll chip in to get you down here. Had my wife read that and she was LOL too.

funniest post I’ve seen on here to date.

Georgia just won the NC running the ball. Oklahoma has a wide open offence….but look over the last bunch of years with Heisman QB’s and you’ll see they had more run than pass plays.

If we want to win we need to be more efficient running the ball, it will improve the pass game and make it even better.

Gattis was at Bama when they were running it 571 to 438 passes…with Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle and Smith.

We will have a balanced O that will be much better than what we’ve seen here in a long time.
There might be just a few differences between UGA’s OL & ours...

Just like other Posters who continually Bash Mario over 2 losses to Utah....but JJ and Erickson, who had wayyyyy more embarrassing losses to even worse teams at that time (see Tennessee..Maryland, and BYU)...gets passes...
Personally I've taken that thread as simply the rantings of a miserable **********. Seems people need something to ***** and moan about...

Advertisement
LT mentioned his ribs hurting after practice due to new OL techniques. What are they doing differently?
1648493878897.jpeg

Runnin thru a mufukas face
Over
And over
And over
And over…
……..
………
And over and over and over and over

@Coach Macho I have never smiled more about offseason news over the past 10 years than when my eyes read "match defense"

Good News Yes GIF by Bounce

NO MORE GOT DAMM SPOT DROPPING LB'S LETTING CROSSERS RUN FREE! Halle-frickin-lujah. Outside of Tracy's pick against the turds (Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I recall that being a match coverage with him reading 2-to-1), and I'm sure there are a couple other examples, I can't remember the last time we executed match principles very effectively amongst the back 7.

Cue all the old, grainy, rip/liz match videos on youtube!

Advertisement
We have our OL throwing (basically) a forearm shiver into DL's hip/ribs while chipping.

Basically...

If the Guard steps down to help chip on a double-team...
He's taught to aggressively deliver a hard blow into the DL's hip before moving on to the LB level.
This not only knocks the D-lineman off balance and moves his platform, but it sets a tone mentally. D-linemen hate it.

Advertisement
Back