Gentleman, we have a real football program. (Clinic recap)

Advertisement
Guys, it would not surprise me if we were actually kinda good this year. I know new staffs and new systems come with growing pains sometimes, but from what I've seen so far, they have made massive strides in a short period of time.

Whether we're actually good or not this season, we'll have to see. There's still roster deficiencies.

I do know where we're headed though. And that's elite level. It's just a matter of time.
And if Mario is able to do that, I don't see us falling off for a long time. He ain't going anywhere IMO. It was told to me that he has aspirations of surpassing Saban. He wants to be on THAT level. Someone who is competing for titles on a regular basis and is top-5 in the country yearly. We all know that's lofty expectations, but that's where his head is at.

I also see us as a destination where coaches come, get better, win, and move on to HC or coordinator positions...much like we used to be...and how Bama is now. Gattis, Ponce, Addae are the first 3 guys that come to mind. I can see all 3 of them eventually getting promotions, either at Miami or somewhere else. Addae has future DC vibes, Gattis future HC and Ponce probably taking over as OC here. Mario certainly didn't hire any inexperienced slapd!cks like Manny did.

Lots of buzz around the program right now. Plenty of high school coaches were thoroughly impressed.

Advertisement
Did you say….Match Coverage?

7E56911B-B71A-40B9-B900-BFF069B954FA.gif

If any of you have paid attention to my post in the game day thread then you would know my man crush with Match coverage

Advertisement
I’m throughly excited even with the O being a “modern wing T”. That wing T was in the playoffs last year and not only are we going to naturally replace RBs like a factory just due to where we‘re located but if we keep recruiting QB the way we’ve been recruiting there then the one weakness that held back that Michigan O and probably was the difference maker is going to be nonexistent. Hearing this news also leads me to believe that we’re gonna be using 4 backs (Chaney, Knighton, Parrish, Franklin) and if Chaney stays healthy, with his talent level, then he could be one and done and that’s ok.

The D is already better imo and we haven’t even added Porter, Agude, and other transfers that we‘re probably going to add. We’re probably still looking for another edge guy and LB help. I think this team is going to be good as well and be way more talented/play like it this year.

DAY TWO:

Had to grab some of that cafecito from the little Spanish spot next to my house because the girls working there are thick! I originally only went in there to see them, but now my *** is addicted to "un colada!"
View attachment 180403

They had a couple beautiful/friendly ladies serving up continental breakfast. I don't know who's wives they were, but lawd! Ya boy Macho was going back for seconds.
View attachment 180404

This is what I've been waiting for. I wanted to see practice. Up close and personal. I wanted to feel the energy.
View attachment 180405

First and foremost, the energy and tempo at practice is unbelievable. Nothing like we've seen here in a long time. There is absolutely zero stagnant movement or downtime. There are coaches all over the place and the attention to detail is extreme. You can tell that a few players are still getting used to the new tempo. I was mostly concerned with what we're going to be doing on the back end of our defense, so I paid the most attention to Addae and Steele during individual drills. TC looked to be the most polished CB with Blades following right behind. There was a lot of man technique teaching. I don't know what our previous staff taught, but Addae had to go back to square one apparently. You ever wondered why we struggled in man coverage under manny, and why Blades would continue to get beat inside like a drum? Welp. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I know it's still early, but I haven't seen the defense look this stingy in a long time. Don't get me wrong, the offense made their share of plays, but they have good players too. What I liked the most during 11-on-11 was how contested most plays are. Even if a guy catches a ball, there's a tackler right on top of him. No more simple dump off routes going for 20 yards.
Also the LB's look 10x better in this scheme. Steed is playing some ball.
We're playing a lot of cover-3 so you will see Safeties roaming in the box, specifically Williams from what I saw.
Also Avantae is a freakin' stud. He had several great plays on the football, and made a good open field hit on X. Restrepo caught the ball in the open field and was about to get jiggy when Tae broke down and smacked him. He's going to thrive in this scheme. Overall the tackling looks much better so far largely due to the simple fact that defenders know exactly where they're supposed to be, and there's not as much open field, even when somebody catches the ball.

TC and Ivey were the first team CB's with Blades at the Nickel spot. Williams and Tae at the starting Safeties.

I loved the energy and competition I saw from both sides of the ball. Defense made their share of big plays and both sides were competing and getting rowdy. You really can't help it, because the energy at Greentree is infectious.

Steele described us as a "press team". We will be pressing on the outside majority of the time even in zone coverage.
We will base out of a 4-front but will also utilize plenty of Odd front stuff. (specifically the "Mint" front aka Tite Front)
In reference to who will be manning the Rush OLB spot (aka The Jack) Steele said...
"We have a kid who's gonna be a great one, he's just built like a pencil right now."
Interesting tidbit - Steele has 18 different coverages to defend Trips (3x1) formations.
This guy is a defensive wizard. We're lucky to have him.

Steele on the board while I annoy him with 39 different questions...
View attachment 180413

Oh, and there were cookies too.
View attachment 180414

it's almost as if coaching....matters

This roster still needs a ton of work, but from a foundational standpoint, eventually this years team will be THAT much better at the fundamental things that go into being a good football team

Sounds like Steele is high on Moss.

Kid can get pushed around right now but different reports indicate coaches like what he is bringing.

He can get a lot stronger over the summer and put on 15-25 pounds that won’t slow him up. I think he will be getting some sacks by the end of the year.

Advertisement
First and foremost, but communication from the football program has been excellent leading into the clinic. Not only did I get emails containing our entire itinerary, but we got separate emails that contained parking information, including a map. First time this has ever happened. Everything at Miami right now is a very organized operation.

DAY ONE:

Clinic itinerary...
View attachment 180384

I'd also like to add that this clinic was a bargain at $50. Not only because of the legendary speakers, but the networking opportunities, the ability to watch practice, and unlimited drinks, breakfast and dinner. Most clinics I go to cost $100+ and give you absolutely nothing.
(nicest notebook I've ever gotten at a clinic too)

View attachment 180388

The level of hospitality is completely different from Manny's tenure. None of these coaches act stank and unapproachable. Coaches, and legends, or actually spread out and actively making efforts to sit around HS coaches. The effort to establish a relationships is night and day from Manny's staff. (collectively) Manny's staff had a few personable dudes, but when your head guy is a pompous politician's son, that arrogance tends to trickle down. You can tell that Cristobal demands that his coaches are engaged.

I get there early on Friday to beat the rush, and there was still a long *** line waiting for the gates to open. I finally walk in, look on green tree, and who's out there running routes with Braxton Berrios? Restrepo. X never stops working.

Mirabal is a fvckin' OL guru. That is all. You're about to see much improved OL play, especially when he gets more of his guys through the door. A lot of his clinic tape contained Scaife and McLaughlin. He seems to think McLaughlin is going to be really good.

Gattis does some really nice things offensively. He went into detail and showed the crowd some tape. A lot of 11 and 12 personnel. Very run heavy. A lot of variations in their run game. No more Inside Zone 37 times in a row. Gattis and Mirabal both spoke about establishing and identity. And some of the techniques we're teaching on ol, or very imposing and have the ability to wear down defensive players. You definitely can't be a pu$sy and play in this offense. Even the WR's are required to block a lot. Matter of fact, Gattis actually pulls H-Backs and WR's and asks them to block. Honestly, some of his stuff acts like a modern-day Wing-T out of the shotgun. My only question is, how will this offense resonate with South Florida skill kids? I guess we'll see.

The Friday clinic started at about 1:00 p.m. and dinner wasn't until 7:00. Although they kept us hydrated with unlimited Gatorade and water, your boy was getting hangry. 😫 No worries. To um coaches, including one on the strength staff, took me to their snack room and hooked your boy Macho up with something to get him by. #EstablishingRelationships #Hospitality
View attachment 180389

GOAT sighting! 🐐
View attachment 180390

Our DB's are in great hands!
Addae is as detailed as they come. I've seen a lot of clinics, but this was the best press-man clinic I've ever seen. Oh by the way, we are going to be a press defense.
View attachment 180392

Steele is my man crush on the staff. He's from the Saban tree, and to much of my excitement, you will see a lot of press coverage and Cover-3 "Match". You're going to see a much more sound defense that will no longer give up easy 7 yard throws to wide open receivers that turn up field for 30 yards. They're putting a huge emphasis on tackling, being sound, contesting throws, and getting 11 hats to the ball violently. And we are not teaching rugby tackling. Steele said something like "I don't know that **** so I ain't teaching it. ****, somebody gotta teach me. Here at Miami we're gonna be biting the ball."
You're going to see better tackling by default, simply because the soundness of the defense will have more people in the vicinity of pass-catchers and runners.
View attachment 180394

View attachment 180396

View attachment 180397

View attachment 180398

Ugh! 💩 Must've been that Muscle Milk.

View attachment 180399

Dinner time! 😋
They definitely knew what they were doing with this food selection. They didn't want anybody getting up and leaving during the night session. We all had da itis!
View attachment 180400

They finished up the night session by having Jimmy speak. This man can work a room. He can have you ready to run through a brick wall one moment, and shed a tear the next. This was truly a unique experience brought to us by Mario. Watching Jimmy speak was a true blessing and great experience. Jimmy even opened up the room for questions.
View attachment 180401

First day was great. Let's see what Saturday brings.
Animated GIF

Thank you @Coach Macho much appreciated, GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
Nice for the first time in how many years we will actually play press with our CBs? Gunna be wild lol. Ivey may be fine...

Its funny schematically I'm much more worried about the offense than defense. I really hope Gattis gets the absolute most out of TVD and the next stud that takes his place next year. But talent wise I'm much more worried about Defense - specifically DLine and LB. Even with Keontra and Steed as starters the depth is poor. Hopefully the young talented guys really step the **** up.

Anyone not incredibly excited about this season and definitely about the future as whole isn't a fan, idgaf...

Nice for the first time in how many years we will actually play press with our CBs? Gunna be wild lol. Ivey may be fine...

Its funny schematically I'm much more worried about the offense than defense. I really hope Gattis gets the absolute most out of TVD and the next stud that takes his place next year. But talent wise I'm much more worried about Defense - specifically DLine and LB. Even with Keontra and Steed as starters the depth is poor. Hopefully the young talented guys really step the **** up.

Anyone not incredibly excited about this season and definitely about the future as whole isn't a fan, idgaf...
100% Agree. Schematically i dont have alot of worries on defense with steele but im worried about the front 7. Offense i have no doubt about the talent besides a couple questions on the oline but im more worried schematically on how this offense fits us, the more i watch gattis 3 years at Michigan the more worried i am.

DAY TWO:

Had to grab some of that cafecito from the little Spanish spot next to my house because the girls working there are thick! I originally only went in there to see them, but now my *** is addicted to "un colada!"
View attachment 180403

They had a couple beautiful/friendly ladies serving up continental breakfast. I don't know who's wives they were, but lawd! Ya boy Macho was going back for seconds.
View attachment 180404

This is what I've been waiting for. I wanted to see practice. Up close and personal. I wanted to feel the energy.
View attachment 180405

First and foremost, the energy and tempo at practice is unbelievable. Nothing like we've seen here in a long time. There is absolutely zero stagnant movement or downtime. There are coaches all over the place and the attention to detail is extreme. You can tell that a few players are still getting used to the new tempo. I was mostly concerned with what we're going to be doing on the back end of our defense, so I paid the most attention to Addae and Steele during individual drills. TC looked to be the most polished CB with Blades following right behind. There was a lot of man technique teaching. I don't know what our previous staff taught, but Addae had to go back to square one apparently. You ever wondered why we struggled in man coverage under manny, and why Blades would continue to get beat inside like a drum? Welp. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I know it's still early, but I haven't seen the defense look this stingy in a long time. Don't get me wrong, the offense made their share of plays, but they have good players too. What I liked the most during 11-on-11 was how contested most plays are. Even if a guy catches a ball, there's a tackler right on top of him. No more simple dump off routes going for 20 yards.
Also the LB's look 10x better in this scheme. Steed is playing some ball.
We're playing a lot of cover-3 so you will see Safeties roaming in the box, specifically Williams from what I saw.
Also Avantae is a freakin' stud. He had several great plays on the football, and made a good open field hit on X. Restrepo caught the ball in the open field and was about to get jiggy when Tae broke down and smacked him. He's going to thrive in this scheme. Overall the tackling looks much better so far largely due to the simple fact that defenders know exactly where they're supposed to be, and there's not as much open field, even when somebody catches the ball.

TC and Ivey were the first team CB's with Blades at the Nickel spot. Williams and Tae at the starting Safeties.

I loved the energy and competition I saw from both sides of the ball. Defense made their share of big plays and both sides were competing and getting rowdy. You really can't help it, because the energy at Greentree is infectious.

Steele described us as a "press team". We will be pressing on the outside majority of the time even in zone coverage.
We will base out of a 4-front but will also utilize plenty of Odd front stuff. (specifically the "Mint" front aka Tite Front)
In reference to who will be manning the Rush OLB spot (aka The Jack) Steele said...
"We have a kid who's gonna be a great one, he's just built like a pencil right now."
Interesting tidbit - Steele has 18 different coverages to defend Trips (3x1) formations.
This guy is a defensive wizard. We're lucky to have him.

Steele on the board while I annoy him with 39 different questions...
View attachment 180413

Oh, and there were cookies too.
View attachment 180414
@Coach Macho .....I see "Lox Shmear" on one of those Bagel halves.....Excellent choice....

Advertisement
Back