Gattis production at Michigan

Advertisement
Would be amazing.....Briles plus Mario would've been deadly
Now what though? How much of this is Mario insisting on this type of O? Maybe he had a hard time getting other OC’a bc he either takes over too much or insists on neutering them?? I don’t know. My issue is people pointing to one group or person. There’s a lot at play here. The WR’s, TVD’s game, Gattis, Mario… ****, TVD looked great under Lashlee. I’m sorry but that part is on the coaching staff we have no - aside from the WR problem.

There is a lot of truth in this. If these guys execute we win and these guys aren’t going to catch balls better in a different scheme. But a different or expanded scheme would help create space and solve some of the separation issues.
This is like all the hate toward Kaaya. Yeah, he could have done better. He could have been more clutch. But the main problem was that he needed to score 40 a game for us to win, and that's not easy to do. Same with Duke. Dude poured his heart out on the field and MFers on CiS would complain he didn't do more. Like the main failing was him only rushing for 150 a game. It's about putting the problems in order, and to me, execution is number one and everything else is a very distant two at best.

The thing that I don’t understand it that Mario apparently WANTS low scoring grindfests. If you have 6-8 min long drives, and assume even a modest defense, you will likely only get the ball 5-7 times a game.

That’s it. That means one bad bounce, one turnover, and you lost 20% of your chances. That’s huge! A GREAT offense normally gets around 3 points per drive, so Mario appears to be happy with an offense that scores 21 points.

That’s Mario’s system. Look at last year, Oregon ranked 78th in plays per game, with Miami at 24th. That’s even more damning when you consider that long drives filled with short running and passing plays SHOULD skew your numbers upward, and yet Rhett Lashlee ran way more plays.

This is BS. Wrong OC, wrong system. Why does Miami always do this?

After three games we're currently averaging the exact same amount of plays we did last year. We're throwing the ball the same amount of times as we did last year.

The down side to an offense like Lashlee's was if it wasn't rolling early you could get run out of the stadium in the 1st quarter.

I completely understand the criticism about not throwing the ball down field. I think the red zone offense was absolute garbage. But there are a lot of people throwing around a lot of statements that aren't backed by any facts whatsoever.

This offense that Gattis has should be tweaked and I hope he does it. But there was a lot to like offensively. If he and Tyler can get on the same page and he can adjust his play calling I do think this can work really **** good.

But nothing is going to get completely fixed until we get players on the field who can make plays.

Advertisement
Now what though? How much of this is Mario insisting on this type of O? Maybe he had a hard time getting other OC’a bc he either takes over too much or insists on neutering them?? I don’t know. My issue is people pointing to one group or person. There’s a lot at play here. The WR’s, TVD’s game, Gattis, Mario… ****, TVD looked great under Lashlee. I’m sorry but that part is on the coaching staff we have no - aside from the WR problem.
I think it should be clear that Mario doesn't want whatever high-flying offensive mind the rest of us would like. That's not how he wants his teams to play, not here and not at Oregon. I don't know the dynamic, but trust that Gattis has a job in Miami because he's going to run the type of offense Mario wants.

He schemed them open at least 10 times even with them being not able to create separation and someone let him down. Whether it was a drop, bad throw, or penalty. I’ll wait a bit longer before judging.
I can’t argue with you. I liked what I saw in the first quarter. He has no talent at WR. The spread concepts would still help TVD. They’re stifling him. I hate to say it but that’s what I’m seeing. He’s not made for this offense the way he is for what Lashlee did.

After three games we're currently averaging the exact same amount of plays we did last year. We're throwing the ball the same amount of times as we did last year.

The down side to an offense like Lashlee's was if it wasn't rolling early you could get run out of the stadium in the 1st quarter.

I completely understand the criticism about not throwing the ball down field. I think the red zone offense was absolute garbage. But there are a lot of people throwing around a lot of statements that aren't backed by any facts whatsoever.

This offense that Gattis has should be tweaked and I hope he does it. But there was a lot to like offensively. If he and Tyler can get on the same page and he can adjust his play calling I do think this can work really **** good.

But nothing is going to get completely fixed until we get players on the field who can make plays.
This is where I’m at.

Advertisement
I think that’s the thing. A lot of us would’ve liked to see a spread passing guy with an OL coached by Mario and Alex.
There’s a weird misconception that in order to have a physical running game that you need to line up with two tight ends and play in a phone booth at a methodical pace. We can still be physical and control the line of scrimmage while operating at a fast pace with our receivers split wide. The top rushing offenses in the P5 are all wide open, spread systems. We don’t have to be Wisconsin to be able to run the ball.

This is where I’m at.
They need more talent at WR regardless of who the OC is

This is like all the hate toward Kaaya. Yeah, he could have done better. He could have been more clutch. But the main problem was that he needed to score 40 a game for us to win, and that's not easy to do. Same with Duke. Dude poured his heart out on the field and MFers on CiS would complain he didn't do more. Like the main failing was him only rushing for 150 a game. It's about putting the problems in order, and to me, execution is number one and everything else is a very distant two at best.
I disagree, kryptonite, mainly because of what those errors in execution were.

Yes, the TS muff and the drop by HP hurt us, but in general the miscues and drops were on poorly designed plays.

This has overtones of the Brock Berlin era, where Chud ignored the fact that BB was a shotgun gunslinger who couldn’t take a drop to save his life. They kept ramming a square peg and wondering why it wouldn’t fit… that’s our problem with TVD right now, and in general with our team. This “bro style” offense is great at places with overwhelming talent, but quite frankly any offense would be successful there…

I think it should be clear that Mario doesn't want whatever high-flying offensive mind the rest of us would like. That's not how he wants his teams to play, not here and not at Oregon. I don't know the dynamic, but trust that Gattis has a job in Miami because he's going to run the type of offense Mario wants.
That will be Mario's undoing if he doesn't change his philosophy. When the likes of Saban and others change for the best of the program...it irks me that others don't follow suit.

Advertisement
I can’t argue with you. I liked what I saw in the first quarter. He has no talent at WR. The spread concepts would still help TVD. They’re stifling him. I hate to say it but that’s what I’m seeing. He’s not made for this offense the way he is for what Lashlee did.
I’m hoping for some tweaks to make him more comfortable with some throws as a previous poster said. What I don’t understand is we threw 41 times and ran for 175 yards against a team littered with 4 and 5 stars which we haven’t done since I’ve followed recruiting TBH. Was right around the Matthew Thomas era. If it’s this way during ACC play I’ll jump on the wagon.

I disagree, kryptonite, mainly because of what those errors in execution were.

Yes, the TS muff and the drop by HP hurt us, but in general the miscues and drops were on poorly designed plays.

This has overtones of the Brock Berlin era, where Chud ignored the fact that BB was a shotgun gunslinger who couldn’t take a drop to save his life. They kept ramming a square peg and wondering why it wouldn’t fit… that’s our problem with TVD right now, and in general with our team. This “bro style” offense is great at places with overwhelming talent, but quite frankly any offensive would be successful there…
That wasn't Chud....it was Coker who wanted Brock under center.

The only thing that kept us from getting run out of the stadium in the first quarter on Saturday was that our defense played a million times better than it ever did the last two seasons. It’s not like the 3 first half point we scored were keeping us in it.

Advertisement

Agreed, but there’s a huge difference between plays and drives. We are running a system of short plays and sustained drives, so our numbers SHOULD be on par with last year.

My point is this system, with limited downfield passing, in effect limits the number of drives we will have, which means low scoring games. Also, you can throw out the first two games, as they were against the Women’s School for Kids Who Read Good.

we were down 17-3. the D was stopping ATM but we were effectively run out at that point

The only thing that kept us from getting run out of the stadium in the first quarter on Saturday was that our defense played a million times better than it ever did the last two seasons. It’s not like the 3 first half point we scored were keeping us in it.
we have what? 13 first half points against FBS schools in 2 game now?

Would love to see the receipts from many (including supposed insiders) when Gattis was hired. Now everyone is an armchair OC. Never fails.
First off you sure loved taking this “ supposed insiders “ info to your tiny board for years. Secondly go to any Gattis hiring thread and see if I posted in it. You won’t find me. I thought the Michigan fans were being a bit much with the negativity but I get it after watching three games and seeing his philosophy. I‘m a pretty positive guy and wait to see how something looks before I give opinions. I thought it was a decent hire at best but didn’t move the needle much.

Advertisement
Back