Gattis production at Michigan

Jesus Christ can we at least play half a season before we fly the banners?

This time last year that vaunted Lashlee offense you’re all begging we had looked like **** against Alabama, was mediocre against App State, and got blown out by Michigan State.

Then we went on a run. Yes there are concerns but god **** some of y’all need to get a hold of yourselves.
Remember when we didn’t score a touchdown?

Oh wait.

Advertisement
I was flat out told the wr’s and qb will regress under him and I was like “ come on? Really?” The blocking has even gotten worse by the wr’s.
I was told that by my GFs entire family. HUGE Michigan fans. And extremely knowledgeable.

The guy calling the plays is also the wide receiver coach. So, it’s a double failure
Ok, then lets get on him about his WRs. He's doing a sh*t job there, his guys simply don't catch the ball, and that's their main job.

But the playcalling isn't that bad. Yes, there were some head-scratchers, but also we outgained ATM. Other than mistakes, we outplayed them. Obviously, mistakes matter, but when was the last time we heard a coach talk about establishing the run, then doing that against a good defense? Our WR coach is a problem, but it's not clear to me that our OC is.

The thing that I don’t understand it that Mario apparently WANTS low scoring grindfests. If you have 6-8 min long drives, and assume even a modest defense, you will likely only get the ball 5-7 times a game.

That’s it. That means one bad bounce, one turnover, and you lost 20% of your chances. That’s huge! A GREAT offense normally gets around 3 points per drive, so Mario appears to be happy with an offense that scores 21 points.

That’s Mario’s system. Look at last year, Oregon ranked 78th in plays per game, with Miami at 24th. That’s even more damning when you consider that long drives filled with short running and passing plays SHOULD skew your numbers upward, and yet Rhett Lashlee ran way more plays.

This is BS. Wrong OC, wrong system. Why does Miami always do this?

Lashlee also inherited and offense that finished 98th in total offense and 90th in scoring offense.

Gattis inherited and offense that finished 19th in total offense and 23rd in scoring. There should be a significant improvement for what they’re paying him.

Agreed

Advertisement
so blame the WR coach. we can't do that? just put all the blame on the kids and none on their teachers?
Absolutley blame the WR coach, but that's not what I'm hearing. I'm hearing guys go on about playcalling, and that's not our issue.

Gattis needs to tighten the f*ck up as a WR coach or we need to hire somebody for that role. My point is that if the guys don't catch the **** ball, how do you know the playcalling sucks?

Would love to see the receipts from many (including supposed insiders) when Gattis was hired. Now everyone is an armchair OC. Never fails.

Absolutley blame the WR coach, but that's not what I'm hearing. I'm hearing guys go on about playcalling, and that's not our issue.

Gattis needs to tighten the f*ck up as a WR coach or we need to hire somebody for that role. My point is that if the guys don't catch the **** ball, how do you know the playcalling sucks?
the scheme isnt helping them is my biggest complaint. it isnt helping the QB either. there are things we could do to help create separation or even give them easier chances to make plays/catches.

Advertisement
the scheme isnt helping them is my biggest complaint. it isnt helping the QB either. there are things we could do to help create separation or even give them easier chances to make plays/catches.
Yeah, but that's always the case. We can always sit back after the game and say that. My point is that that gameplan would have worked had guys executed, but without execution no gameplan/scheme was going to work.

Advertisement
I said it after last week too. its more than just what happened against ATM
I'd just like to see guys execute, then we'll know if our OC sucks. Again, he can call different plays to make TVD more comfortable, but if dudes won't watch, I don't see how it matters.

I liked Rhett but what I mostly liked was that we finally had a coordinator running a modern offense. It could have been any number of guys who were mixing some form of hurry up spread with air raid passing concepts. With Mario and Mirabal coaching the o line, we could have one of the nation’s best offenses.
I think that’s the thing. A lot of us would’ve liked to see a spread passing guy with an OL coached by Mario and Alex.

Yeah, but that's always the case. We can always sit back after the game and say that. My point is that that gameplan would have worked had guys executed, but without execution no gameplan/scheme was going to work.
There is a lot of truth in this. If these guys execute we win and these guys aren’t going to catch balls better in a different scheme. But a different or expanded scheme would help create space and solve some of the separation issues.

Advertisement
There is a lot of truth in this. If these guys execute we win and these guys aren’t going to catch balls better in a different scheme. But a different or expanded scheme would help create space and solve some of the separation issues.
He schemed them open at least 10 times even with them being not able to create separation and someone let him down. Whether it was a drop, bad throw, or penalty. I’ll wait a bit longer before judging.

Did Mario really take 10 years “vetting” candidates to settle on a dude Michigan and it’s fans didn’t like that wasn’t actually the brains behind the offense. Really?

Advertisement
Back