Gattis is Calling Plays from the Box - Is this Heaven or ****?

Advertisement
Let's go to Nick Saban...

“We have Doug Marrone and the other coaches that are on the sidelines, Wig as the receiver coach, who has been here, he’s assistant head coach, he knows the system,” Saban said on Thursday night. “So to split the staff up was really sort of the right thing to do. And Bill wanted to be in the press box, but he could do it either way and he’s done it either way. But it just balanced the staff out a little bit better to have Doug and Wig on the sidelines with the players because of their experience, because they could make the adjustments.

“Bill can always make the adjustments with the quarterback. And I think it enhances your ability to call the game when you’re in the press box because you don’t have all the distractions that you have on the sidelines. There’s good and bad in both, I promise you, so it really is kind of up to the individual and the group that you have and how that works best for your team.”

“I always called the game from the press box,” Saban said. “You could have all your stuff laid out, what I’m gonna call on third down, what I’m gonna call on first down, what I’m gonna call against this personnel group, whatever. So it was really easy to be organized, and in between series, you could actually look at all these things and decide what you’re gonna call next.”

In two games under O’Brien, Alabama’s offense has averaged 46.0 points and 462.5 yards per game, which ranks third and fifth in the SEC, respectively. Coaching from the booth hasn’t had much of an effect on starting quarterback Bryce Young, who has opened his sophomore season with 571 passing yards, seven touchdowns and a 70.8 completion percentage.

Which is exactly what Gattis is saying.

If Saban is fine with it then I'm fine with it.

Advertisement
Whatever works best for him. Think most NFL coordinators call games from the box right?

Ponce will be working with the QBs and Mario will make sure the receivers catch the **** ball and don't get dumb penalties.

Advertisement
Most OC’s have transitioned to calling plays on the field for a few reasons. First, most OCs are also QB coaches (ours isn’t). They want to be able to communicate directly with the quarterback as much as possible. Secondly, if they’re running a hurry up system, it’s much faster to signal the play yourself than to relay the call to someone else who then has to signal. Back in the day, coordinators liked being in the press box so they could see the whole field. In today’s game with ten million cameras and everyone having tablets and access to all sorts of angles, you don’t really need to be in the box anymore. It’s really just a personal preference.

I'm obviously not a college coach but I always thought it was weird when coordinators DIDN'T call it from the box as it's easier to see the field

Some coaches are just more in their element from the sideline and value that face to face interaction with the players more.

Steele is going to be on the sidelines. Obviously other successful DCs have done it that way too. Venables being an obvious one. It’s just one of those personal preference things.

Advertisement
First game the offense doesn’t score 30 points someone will blame him being in the booth

gary with da tea GIF by Dish Nation

Advertisement
As opposed to having no one up there for the past several years……..I’ll gladly take it.
Playcallers have their own quirks. Some guys like being on the sidelines and rely on the other guys in the booth to get them pertinent info, other prefer the booth...

Advertisement
Back