Gattis Discusses RPO Game

Advertisement
Not a knock against Mario but I believe he envisions his teams being like Georgia under Kirby Smart. Although one is from the offensive side of the ball and the other defense if you listen to them both speak on their philosophies it sounds similar.

I still think a lot of failure of the offense last season was related to the OL getting beat. I don't think the OL needs to be elite to win, but they can't be a liability.

Advertisement
A lot of us have been screaming for counters over the last 15 years. It’s like every OC we’ve hired thought “run game” was a synonym for losing, so they applied as little effort as possible to the scheme.
I think they were limited because OL recruiting, training, play ws so awful.

How similar is Gattis to Moorehead in terms of philosophy and play calling abilities?
Gattis coached under Moorhead so I would say it has a decent amount. Especially with Mario working with Moorhead recently they see things very similarly.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Gattis is in a tough spot. He has a stable of 5 RBs that all have good-elite potential and he has a first round pick level QB. But he will probably have the worst OL he has had to coach under in years. This guy was at Michigan and Bama. Our OL isnt on either of those teams level right now. Especially if Zion is hurt. So Gattis is really going to have to earn that check because he wont be able to play smash-mouth football this season like we know he wants to.

And its funny that he coached under Moorehead and folks are okay with that, but many posters on here were threatening to "return to sender" on Mario if he even thought about bringing Moorehead with him here as the OC. LOL. So to hear that Gattis and Moorehead have the same philosophies does not get me excited at all. Moorehead was a liability IMO at Oregon.

The biggest mystery IMO this coming season is Gattis and what offense hes going to run. He keeps trying to convince people that he isnt going to run that same offense he ran at Michigan because he knows fans want to see TVD unleashed and not held back especially with what Lashlee was able to do with him. Hes got some big shoes to fill.

If you look at the first 2 years at Michigan, it looked very similar to the offence at Alabama in 2018. The difference was he didn’t have the talent (especially QB). If TVD is really a first round QB, the offence should be better than expected.

Advertisement

Season 3 Sleeping GIF by The Simpsons

Watching both

Advertisement
Back