Gators only willing to do "neutral" site to play UM

Not directly you aren't, but that is the only logical way UF could play Miami and still travel OOS. No one schedules home and homes with FCS opponents or lower level D-1 schools because they'd lose money at the gate. So for UF to leave the state AND play Miami annually their OOC schedule would have to be FSU, Miami, and BCS opponent at a minimum. And no other school is doing that annually.

Look, I wish the matchup was annual. I would love to head out to a USC, Texas, etc. There are some seasons when we're playing FSU away I won't even show up to watch the other OOC games. But the reality is no other school is scheduling 2 top level BCS teams on an annual basis. UF already has FSU permanently OOC, so they're not going to add another top level BCS team OOC. This argument basically boils down to 'FSU is in state, doesn't count' which is silly. UF is following the same scheduling that every other power does, 1 major BCS team OOC per season. Just so happens ours is in state. Like I said before that continually gets downgraded even though no OOC matchup has had more games where both teams were in the top 25 than FSU vs. UF. If FSU was in another state you'd all look at the game different. Think abut that.

You would drop criminoles in a heart beat BUT YOU CAN"T. Tally will not allow it so stop acting like you take on a big boy willingly. You are gators, scaly swamp slime, so get use to it. It is your dna. You have always been this way and will never change. It is not an accident that Urban choose and and OSU to coach -- they love to play almost every game in state also. It must be that probation and paroled felons are usually not allowed to travel outside the state without permission.

Advertisement
Not directly you aren't, but that is the only logical way UF could play Miami and still travel OOS. No one schedules home and homes with FCS opponents or lower level D-1 schools because they'd lose money at the gate. So for UF to leave the state AND play Miami annually their OOC schedule would have to be FSU, Miami, and BCS opponent at a minimum. And no other school is doing that annually.

Look, I wish the matchup was annual. I would love to head out to a USC, Texas, etc. There are some seasons when we're playing FSU away I won't even show up to watch the other OOC games. But the reality is no other school is scheduling 2 top level BCS teams on an annual basis. UF already has FSU permanently OOC, so they're not going to add another top level BCS team OOC. This argument basically boils down to 'FSU is in state, doesn't count' which is silly. UF is following the same scheduling that every other power does, 1 major BCS team OOC per season. Just so happens ours is in state. Like I said before that continually gets downgraded even though no OOC matchup has had more games where both teams were in the top 25 than FSU vs. UF. If FSU was in another state you'd all look at the game different. Think abut that.

You would drop criminoles in a heart beat BUT YOU CAN"T. Tally will not allow it so stop acting like you take on a big boy willingly. You are gators, scaly swamp slime, so get use to it. It is your dna. You have always been this way and will never change. It is not an accident that Urban choose and and OSU to coach -- they love to play almost every game in state also. It must be that probation and paroled felons are usually not allowed to travel outside the state without permission.

You realize there is no law forcing the two teams to play correct? Its myth.

Further, if the SEC or ACC went to 9 games there is a legit possibly the rivalry with FSU would have ended. From my understanding the admins of both schools had already discussed doing everything in their power to keep it going.

Further, if the SEC or ACC went to 9 games there is a legit possibly the rivalry with FSU would have ended. From my understanding the admins of both schools had already discussed doing everything in their power to keep it going.

Game was scheduled to avoid a law that was already in committee. Try to drop that other state school and watch. Them good ole boys up state know they cannot drop the criminoles. I'll tell what I don't know. Why is your biggest sec rival played in-state every year? How did yo all pull that one off? Was Athens to rough a town for you fans?

The $ excuse is just that....an excuse. When Florida first dropped the series in 1987 it was because the SEC was moving from a 6 to a 7 game schedule. The series was supposed to start again in 1992, but Spurrier was afraid of Miami then, and used the excuse that the SEC was moving from 7 to 8 games. This was also the year after Spurrier ran away from playing anyone OOC outside of Florida after Syracuse embarrassed them in the Carrier Dome. Florida fans bring up the Georgia game as why they can't play Miami, but Georgia has Georgia Tech every year, and they also play OOC games on top of that with the likes of Clemson, Colorado, Oklahoma state, Arizona state (all on the road).

Game was scheduled to avoid a law that was already in committee. Try to drop that other state school and watch. Them good ole boys up state know they cannot drop the criminoles. I'll tell what I don't know. Why is your biggest sec rival played in-state every year? How did yo all pull that one off? Was Athens to rough a town for you fans?

UGA had the game scheduled in Jax originally, not UF.

Also there are far more UGA alumni in Jax than there are UF alumni, fact. For some reason people have the idea that Jax is a huge UF advantage or something, it's like 30 minute south of Georgia and tickets are sold 50/50. Funny fact, UF tried to have that game be home-home and UGA objected. Years later Spurrier arrives and starts kicking their *** and all of a sudden they want to have the game removed from Jax.

Advertisement

Also there are far more UGA alumni in Jax than there are UF alumni, fact. For some reason people have the idea that Jax is a huge UF advantage or something, it's like 30 minute south of Georgia and tickets are sold 50/50. Funny fact, UF tried to have that game be home-home and UGA objected. Years later Spurrier arrives and starts kicking their *** and all of a sudden they want to have the game removed from Jax.

As a part-time jax resident, I have an extraordinarily hard time believing that UGa has more alumni in Jax than UF does. If you can prove that, I'd love to see it. Please don't act like it's a homefield advantage for Georgia. Yeah it's 30 minutes south of Georgia, but it's like 5-6 hours away from Athens, and it's only about 90 minutes away from Gainesville. You're acting like you've never even been to Jacksonville.

As a part-time jax resident, I have an extraordinarily hard time believing that UGa has more alumni in Jax than UF does. If you can prove that, I'd love to see it. Please don't act like it's a homefield advantage for Georgia. Yeah it's 30 minutes south of Georgia, but it's like 5-6 hours away from Athens, and it's only about 90 minutes away from Gainesville. You're acting like you've never even been to Jacksonville.

I lived in Jacksonville for a time. I am not saying its an advantage for UGA, I'm saying it's not an advantage for UF based on the things I listed. UGA has a huge presence in Jacksonville. And like I said before the game has always been at a neutral site, mostly of UGA's doing. Some of the early games were played in places like Savannah, nobody complained about any advantages then. UGA also flies to the game which takes them 2 hours, the same amount of time it takes UF to bus up from Gainesville.

As to the figures, I'll try to find them for you. I remember it from a few years back when there was talk of moving the game and UGA alumni in Jacksonville caused a huge fuss about it. IIRC their largest alumni chapter apart from Atlanta is in Jacksonville.

Last edited:

I lived in Jacksonville for a time. I am not saying its an advantage for UGA, I'm saying it's not an advantage for UF based on the things I listed. UGA has a huge presence in Jacksonville. UGA also flies to the game which takes them 2 hours, the same amount of time it takes UF to bus up from Gainesville.

As to the figures, I'll try to find them for you. I remember it from a few years back when there was talk of moving the game and UGA alumni in Jacksonville caused a huge fuss about it. IIRC their largest alumni chapter apart from Atlanta is in Jacksonville.

I look forward to those figures.

Advertisement

I lived in Jacksonville for a time. I am not saying its an advantage for UGA, I'm saying it's not an advantage for UF based on the things I listed. UGA has a huge presence in Jacksonville. And like I said before the game has always been at a neutral site, mostly of UGA's doing. Some of the early games were played in places like Savannah, nobody complained about any advantages then. UGA also flies to the game which takes them 2 hours, the same amount of time it takes UF to bus up from Gainesville.

I am currently in Jax and yes there are UGA fans here, but Gator fans far outnumber them.

"Also there are far more UGA alumni in Jax than there are UF alumni,"
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. I livein Jax and this is a MFing GOT damm lie!!! This town and it's media are Gator homers 75%

I am currently in Jax and yes there are UGA fans here, but Gator fans far outnumber them.

On the whole? Yes, probably. But I was talking about alumni. UF probably has more sidewalk fans with Jacksonville being in the state and all, I don't think anyone would dispute that. But it isn't nearly as one sided as most believe. And when it comes to the game those raw numbers don't matter since tickets are 50/50 for the teams.

Advertisement

On the whole? Yes, probably. But I was talking about alumni. UF probably has more sidewalk fans with Jacksonville being in the state and all, I don't think anyone would dispute that. But it isn't nearly as one sided as most believe. And when it comes to the game those raw numbers don't matter since tickets are 50/50 for the teams.

If we're talking just Alumni, I'll give you my perspective. I've worked in 3 large offices in downtown Jacksonville. In those offices I know about 5 UGA fans, and maybe 1-2 of them are actual UGA alumni. I know about 35-40 UF fans in those same offices. Of that 35-40, 15-20 of them are actual UF grads. One of them was almost exclusively UF grads (maybe 65-70% of the office). Keep in mind, there are about 2 local universities in Jacksonville (JU and UNF) which make up a large portion of what is remaining. I'm willing to bet there are as many FSU fans in Jax as there are UGA fans which I'd say is about 1/3 of the gator fans in Jax.

Matt Porter ‏@mattyports 5m
Just spoke with #Canes AD Blake James re: #Gators. Said UM wants annual series, UF doesn't. Next-best option: neutral-site, one-off game.

Matt Porter ‏@mattyports 4m
Is #Gators-#Canes important to UM? James said it's good for CFB, state of Fla, but "important? No. It's important for us to win the ACC."

mattyports: Just spoke with #Canes AD Blake James re: #Gators. Said UM wants annual series, UF doesn't. Next-best option: neutral-site, one-off game.

mattyports: Is #Gators-#Canes important to UM? James said it's good for CFB, state of Fla, but "important? No. It's important for us to win the ACC."

mattyports: Orlando seems most likely option for a neutral-site game between #Gators and #Canes. Talks are open. James: "I'm hoping we can work it out."

Advertisement
I am all for playing anybody, anywhere, anytime BUT the Gators. I am sick of them dictating to us. Okay to play them in Gainesville as long as they agree to play us in Miami. We should insist they play us in Miami first so they can't renig.

That's BS, cause a game in Orlando is essentially a home game for them. Also, only reason he is receptive is because they lost the last game. The second they beat us, watch them never play us again......

Cool!! We shoud be good for thirty years or so.

mattyports: Just spoke with #Canes AD Blake James re: #Gators. Said UM wants annual series, UF doesn't. Next-best option: neutral-site, one-off game.

mattyports: Is #Gators-#Canes important to UM? James said it's good for CFB, state of Fla, but "important? No. It's important for us to win the ACC."

mattyports: Orlando seems most likely option for a neutral-site game between #Gators and #Canes. Talks are open. James: "I'm hoping we can work it out."
Like I said earlier in the thread no matter what happens it wont be something that happens every year. It will probably be a year UF plays FSU at home.

I honestly think the biggest reason Foley doens't want to play at Sun Life is because we won't bend over and hand them 25K tickets like Dee did for their return to the Orange Bowl in the Brock comeback game. I have a gator friend and he is pretty much as *** about it, upset that gator fans had to go to Stub Hub for tickets last season. How many tickets to we get when we go to Gainesville? About 5000? Not sure but I think we gave them close to 10,000 in 2013 and they still ***** like, well, gators.

Advertisement
Back