Tears Gator Tears

Advertisement
I’m not so sure in the new college playoff world. With 12 teams, a team like ole miss could absolutely sneak in to the playoffs. And just being there would make you a legend
agreed.

If the 12 team was this year, they would be in it. they were 11-2 and the only losses were to Baga and Jawja.

I think they are further along than the lizards, considering Kiffin got there in 2020.

$63 million????

Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

It's even more complicated than that.

When you BUY OUT a coach who is already under contract, you have to pay the GROSSED UP income-tax value of the buyout. If another coach had a $10M buyout, he needs $10M AFTER-TAX to buy himself out of his contract. Thus, you have to pay the coach $15M so that he will have $10M AFTER-TAX to pay his former employer.

I've said it before, with what Florida will need to spend in "commitments" to a new coach willing to take over that ****-hole, the number will likely exceed $100M. I realize that they already built the new Athletic Department facility, and the updates to The Swamp are astronomical, but the new coach is going to ask for various expenditures for recruiting that go beyond "Dave & Busters" and "rental G-wagons".

It's even more complicated than that.

When you BUY OUT a coach who is already under contract, you have to pay the GROSSED UP income-tax value of the buyout. If another coach had a $10M buyout, he needs $10M AFTER-TAX to buy himself out of his contract. Thus, you have to pay the coach $15M so that he will have $10M AFTER-TAX to pay his former employer.

I've said it before, with what Florida will need to spend in "commitments" to a new coach willing to take over that ****-hole, the number will likely exceed $100M. I realize that they already built the new Athletic Department facility, and the updates to The Swamp are astronomical, but the new coach is going to ask for various expenditures for recruiting that go beyond "Dave & Busters" and "rental G-wagons".
Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

With the “grossed up” it becomes $70 million just to get a new coach in the door and like you said any qualified coach is going to have some demands to entice him to take job. Your $100 million estimate is probably right in line.

to be fair, it probably still is a better job. But more pressure.

How is it "still a better job"? Because Gator fans keep repeating that?

Since SOS left Hogtown:

Ron Zook
Urban Meyer
Will Muschamp
Jim McElwain
Dan Mullen
Slingblade Billy Napier

That is FIVE failed coaches, and one coach who won at every college job he ever took. Therefore, the Florida job didn't "make" Urban Meyer.

The Pros:
+++Flagship University of Titletown
+++SEC membership
+++Jordan school
+++Past glory (sandwiched between long periods of being mediocre-to-terrible)
+++Recent improvement to admin/training facilities

The Cons:
---Aging, outdated stadium that might be renovated in the future
---Unrealistic fanbase with ridiculous expectations when results are not immediate, year-over-year, and/or lasting
---The booster support is not nearly as strong as it should be, given their history and the relative wealth of alums
---The Gator "brand" is definitely overrated, it is strong in Florida and, literally, nowhere else in the USA
---Recent underwhelming history when it comes to NIL promises and payments
---Sub-par record of NFL draft choices performing in the pros (and NFL Hall-of-Famers), compared to the number of victories posted since the 1980s
---Eclipsed by state schools in the two states that border Florida, and routinely eclipsed by two (or more) Florida-based schools
---Coaching pay has never been "we will outbid all competitors" and assistant coaching pay has NOT been good, historically
---Besides Urban Meyer, no Florida coach has had a solid career post-Florida, so you need to be prepared to retire in Hogtown
---The reality that the name of your hamlet was once Hogtown
---The reality that the next largest population center beyond Hogtown is THE VILLAGES
---The reality that Hogtown is one of the least charming college towns in the southeastern United States

Advertisement
Wtf? How do you have a guy knocking on the door to 500 pounds on your football team? That dude is an easy 100 pounds too fat to be an effective nose tackle. They were 79th against the run last year so he’s definitely not having an impact anywhere but the cafeteria

Wtf? How do you have a guy knocking on the door to 500 pounds on your football team? That dude is an easy 100 pounds too fat to be an effective nose tackle. They were 79th against the run last year so he’s definitely not having an impact anywhere but the cafeteria
Don’t care how young he is. That’s a walking stroke or heart attack waiting to happen. Have to imagine his BP and heart rate would be through the roof with any kind of exertion. Wonder if he’s ever taken a stress test. And that other dude is closing in on 400 lbs.

Mullen Says Florida Decided To Wait On Everyone Else, Even Though Law Was Passed​

When it came to the University of Florida implementing their own NIL strategy, they were already ahead of everyone else, at least that's what Dan Mullen figured. When the State of Florida passed its own NIL legislation that would help the football program get a head start on the competition when it came to recruiting, Mullen thought this would be a massive benefit to his program.

Unfortunately for him, and the football team, the school decided that they would wait on other states to catch up before starting to head down the road of using NIL to their benefit. This move by the school would end up frustrating Mullen, who knew he lost out on an opportunity to potentially jump other schools.

"When I was at the University of Florida, we were the first one to pass a law. So I remember meeting and saying, ‘Hey, we have a year's jump to potentially get this good, we should be able to sign players one through 25. Because we can pay them and nobody else can. This is going to be fantastic. But we need to get lawyers and everything in place, do it. And then it came, ’Oh, we're gonna wait and do it when everybody else does'.

"So well, that's not real smart. But that was out of my hands, it was administrative. And so, all the sudden you start falling behind a little bit."

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back