Tears Gator Tears

Advertisement
teddy bear ted GIF

Get ‘em, Bear!

Advertisement
Advertisement
I like the bear, and I am probably headed for some heartbreak (i.e., finding out the bear is just a new NYSOM schtick).

As a big fan of the James Bond books/movies, I enjoy witty double entendres, hence my suggestion for the bear to be more subtle.

TrumpyCane is offended the thought of that came through your mind

I do however have a surprise coming soon hopefully

I support the bears right to free speech, that woman tweets all day and most of the time its just BS. When she gets called out for it she plays the woman card.

Advertisement
All private. They’re just bragging that they’re up there academically with NYU and Tufts.

I can guaran-dam-tee you in the real world that NYU and Tufts degrees hold more weight than a gaytor degree.

That's like guaranteeing me you can buy more with a $5 bill than a $1 bill.

I know the academic space guys, this isn't even a conversation. UF is hysterical.

Right, but Georgia has had a comparable option in state.

I think the question is really "comparable". I agree that GaTech is a state school, not a private school. But in all other respects, it has not nearly been a "close option" if a student doesn't get into UGa, until maybe recently.

From GaTech's small (undergraduate) size, selective majors (heavy on the engineering side), and high academic standards, it hasn't been much of a "second choice" comparable state school option to UGa. A southern state comp to GaTech would be Auburn or Clemson, but both of those schools are larger and have more of a traditional undergrad-grad ratio. Those schools also offer more diversity of study than GaTech offers (at least at the undergrad level).

What I was referring to is a phenomenon in southern states with huge population growth. Look at the top 10 states (by population). Five are northern states, and when you add massive California and Texas, you have seven states that need to offer a lot of college education opportunities to a lot of people in a lot of locations. Some of these states (Pennsylvania, Ohio) have created massive "flagship" schools by concentrating the best educational opportunities in one location (Penn State, Ohio State). Other large states have a more diverse set of "state" universities, and while one state university may be "the best" (UC-Berkeley, UT-Austin), there are still a lot of other good state schools if you can't get into the flagship.

The three southern states that have recently boomed into the Top 10 population are Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina. The State of Florida had a long history of inequality for state schools (F$U was for women, FAMU was for blacks, even the funding was disproportionate until the 1990s). In short, UiF's "flagship" status was more than just a product of "excellence", it was created through a number of circumstances that became self-fulfilling prophecies.

GaTech is a great state school because of its mission, its standards, and its policies. UiF and UGa have benefited from being fake "flagship" schools in states with rapidly increasing populations. North Carolina allows the UNC name to be used in cities other than Chapel Hill. Florida and Georgia do not. UiF and UGa are just artificial "flagships" that have moved up the rankings due to fake "selectivity" stats.

Advertisement
I think the question is really "comparable". I agree that GaTech is a state school, not a private school. But in all other respects, it has not nearly been a "close option" if a student doesn't get into UGa, until maybe recently.

From GaTech's small (undergraduate) size, selective majors (heavy on the engineering side), and high academic standards, it hasn't been much of a "second choice" comparable state school option to UGa. A southern state comp to GaTech would be Auburn or Clemson, but both of those schools are larger and have more of a traditional undergrad-grad ratio. Those schools also offer more diversity of study than GaTech offers (at least at the undergrad level).

What I was referring to is a phenomenon in southern states with huge population growth. Look at the top 10 states (by population). Five are northern states, and when you add massive California and Texas, you have seven states that need to offer a lot of college education opportunities to a lot of people in a lot of locations. Some of these states (Pennsylvania, Ohio) have created massive "flagship" schools by concentrating the best educational opportunities in one location (Penn State, Ohio State). Other large states have a more diverse set of "state" universities, and while one state university may be "the best" (UC-Berkeley, UT-Austin), there are still a lot of other good state schools if you can't get into the flagship.

The three southern states that have recently boomed into the Top 10 population are Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina. The State of Florida had a long history of inequality for state schools (F$U was for women, FAMU was for blacks, even the funding was disproportionate until the 1990s). In short, UiF's "flagship" status was more than just a product of "excellence", it was created through a number of circumstances that became self-fulfilling prophecies.

GaTech is a great state school because of its mission, its standards, and its policies. UiF and UGa have benefited from being fake "flagship" schools in states with rapidly increasing populations. North Carolina allows the UNC name to be used in cities other than Chapel Hill. Florida and Georgia do not. UiF and UGa are just artificial "flagships" that have moved up the rankings due to fake "selectivity" stats.
Bright Futures allowed UF to be more selective and tout its status on academics. All those other reasons built it to what it is, now they claim academics because of a very recent development.

Bright Futures allowed UF to be more selective and tout its status on academics. All those other reasons built it to what it is, now they claim academics because of a very recent development.

Bright Futures is definitely helpful, but that didn't start until 1997.

By then, UiF had built up a huge and insurmountable lead as the state's "flagship" university over decades of unfair practices, such as unequal funding, racial and gender discrimination, preventing the use of the name "University of Florida" by any other state university, and artificially limiting the size of the undergraduate student body and keeping tuition artificially low.

And UiF's "selectivity" has become particularly potent as Florida has boomed to become the third-largest state in the US (by the way, this is the exact same reason that F$U has "mysteriously" risen up in the rankings as well).

There are simply too many Florida residents applying to too few spots at UiF and F$U, and this is the primary reason why both schools have seen better rankings without doing anything in particular to improved themselves academically. UiF has run through a raft of university presidents over the past 20 years, and F$U had jock-sniffers/former p-analytical hacks Sandy D'Alemberte and TK Wetherell as president for nearly two decades. Not exactly the recipe for building academic excellence in an organic fashion.

Let's not forget, it was Tad Foote who kick-started UM's rise up the rankings...BY CUTTING THE SIZE OF THE STUDENT BODY. Of course, Miami is a private school, so that was his prerogative. UiF and F$U are state schools funded by the Florida taxpayers. UiF and F$U should be EXPANDING the size of their undergrad populations. ****, they are land-grant colleges in cheap-****e rural areas. They shouldn't be forcing urban campuses in Miami and Boca and Orlando and Tampa to expand their campuses at enormous cost.

And every one of those schools should be UF-Miami or UF-Boca Raton or UF-Orlando or UF-Tampa. And they should all be able to share UiF's academic resources. And apply for UiF's government research grants.

Bright Futures is definitely helpful, but that didn't start until 1997.

By then, UiF had built up a huge and insurmountable lead as the state's "flagship" university over decades of unfair practices, such as unequal funding, racial and gender discrimination, preventing the use of the name "University of Florida" by any other state university, and artificially limiting the size of the undergraduate student body and keeping tuition artificially low.

And UiF's "selectivity" has become particularly potent as Florida has boomed to become the third-largest state in the US (by the way, this is the exact same reason that F$U has "mysteriously" risen up in the rankings as well).

There are simply too many Florida residents applying to too few spots at UiF and F$U, and this is the primary reason why both schools have seen better rankings without doing anything in particular to improved themselves academically. UiF has run through a raft of university presidents over the past 20 years, and F$U had jock-sniffers/former p-analytical hacks Sandy D'Alemberte and TK Wetherell as president for nearly two decades. Not exactly the recipe for building academic excellence in an organic fashion.

Let's not forget, it was Tad Foote who kick-started UM's rise up the rankings...BY CUTTING THE SIZE OF THE STUDENT BODY. Of course, Miami is a private school, so that was his prerogative. UiF and F$U are state schools funded by the Florida taxpayers. UiF and F$U should be EXPANDING the size of their undergrad populations. ****, they are land-grant colleges in cheap-****e rural areas. They shouldn't be forcing urban campuses in Miami and Boca and Orlando and Tampa to expand their campuses at enormous cost.

And every one of those schools should be UF-Miami or UF-Boca Raton or UF-Orlando or UF-Tampa. And they should all be able to share UiF's academic resources. And apply for UiF's government research grants.
My point was that all of the past artificial measures you mentioned are whitewashed by the affordability that Bright Futures offers. It allows UF to portray itself as academically exclusive based on merit alone and not any past history designed to make it that way. They stacked the deck to set them up for this.

Bright Futures effectively guarantees a steady supply of academically gifted students destined for FL's public universities. The best are going to want to go to UF, which is academically the best of the bunch. That's raised the status of UF for the past 23 years, allowing them to be even more exclusive. In effect, they created their own supply of top potential students.

Advertisement
Back