Tears Gator Tears

Personally I love the power ratings, understanding that it's mainly a point of conversation for content creators. Here's why I like it, I was just in Ohio Stadium Saturday (I know, I know) and saw their 2002 NC bs. There's no doubt in my mind that we win that game 9/10 times, but it was that 1 time that the blind squirrel... I and every living soul outside of Ohio know who the better rated team is, but they're the ones with the (stolen) trophy.

The issue comes when it's time to rank teams based on resume and play on the field results. The SEC and ND absolutely love the power ratings conversation because it gives them the opportunity to inject their delusional hypotheticals into the equation while lessening the impact of on-field, actual results. It's no coincidence that the power ratings convo has gained so much steam over the last three years (no SEC representation in the NCG) and it has accelerated this year with ND getting "snubbed" in favor of a team that that no only beat them, but allowed the game to even be close. It also greases the skids for the SEC to break away, claiming that they're being under represented in the CFP, even though they have the best teams... hypothetically of course.
 
Personally I love the power ratings, understanding that it's mainly a point of conversation for content creators. Here's why I like it, I was just in Ohio Stadium Saturday (I know, I know) and saw their 2002 NC bs. There's no doubt in my mind that we win that game 9/10 times, but it was that 1 time that the blind squirrel... I and every living soul outside of Ohio know who the better rated team is, but they're the ones with the (stolen) trophy.

The issue comes when it's time to rank teams based on resume and play on the field results. The SEC and ND absolutely love the power ratings conversation because it gives them the opportunity to inject their delusional hypotheticals into the equation while lessening the impact of on-field, actual results. It's no coincidence that the power ratings convo has gained so much steam over the last three years (no SEC representation in the NCG) and it has accelerated this year with ND getting "snubbed" in favor of a team that that no only beat them, but allowed the game to even be close. It also greases the skids for the SEC to break away, claiming that they're being under represented in the CFP, even though they have the best teams... hypothetically of course.

People don't understand power ratings unless it is their team who got upset. Oklahoma State beat Oregon earlier this year, maybe the biggest upset so far. Even though Ok State dominated Oregon in the trenches, Vegas and most people on this site would have Oregon favored if they played again. Now would Oregon be favored by as much as they were before Ok State beat them? No, but Oregon would still be favored. Which means in a Power Rating, Oregon should be ranked higher. Why is that so hard for fans to understand? Your 2002 Miami vs Ohio State game is the perfect example.
 
People don't understand power ratings unless it is their team who got upset. Oklahoma State beat Oregon earlier this year, maybe the biggest upset so far. Even though Ok State dominated Oregon in the trenches, Vegas and most people on this site would have Oregon favored if they played again. Now would Oregon be favored by as much as they were before Ok State beat them? No, but Oregon would still be favored. Which means in a Power Rating, Oregon should be ranked higher. Why is that so hard for fans to understand? Your 2002 Miami vs Ohio State game is the perfect example.

Oklahoma State/Oregon is a bad example, in the sense that yes, Oregon’s power ranking should be above Oklahoma State. The Florida situation is not anywhere near analogous.

You’re talking about a losing team last year, that other than cupcakes, beat a really bad Auburn team, and yes, had one emotional win at home over an unprepared/injured Ole Miss tea, and the point being that they don’t deserve as high a power ranking as they’re currently being gifted.

I can make an argument that Missouri is the better team and should be ranked higher than Florida very easily. Honestly, they’re both crap teams, but I think Missouri is actually the better team of the two.

On what basis do you have this elevated power ranking for this trailer trash of a team?
 
Oklahoma State/Oregon is a bad example, in the sense that yes, Oregon’s power ranking should be above Oklahoma State. The Florida situation is not anywhere near analogous. You’re talking about a losing team last year, who other than cupcakes, beat a really bad Auburn team, and the point being that they don’t deserve any kind of a high power ranking. On what basis do you have this power ranking for this trailer trash of a team?
I don't disagree with anything you said, but people seem to think that there isn't scenario where a team should be above another team in a power ranking if they just lost to them, which is ridiculous.

Even though I agree with you, Vegas apparently would still have Florida favorited over Missouri on a neutral site so Pate having Florida above Missouri in a power rating isn't completely ridiculous.
 
Oklahoma State/Oregon is a bad example, in the sense that yes, Oregon’s power ranking should be above Oklahoma State. The Florida situation is not anywhere near analogous.

You’re talking about a losing team last year, that other than cupcakes, beat a really bad Auburn team, and yes, had one emotional win at home over an unprepared/injured Ole Miss tea, and the point being that they don’t deserve as high a power ranking as they’re currently being gifted.

I can make an argument that Missouri is the better team and should be ranked higher than Florida very easily. Honestly, they’re both crap teams, but I think Missouri is actually the better team of the two.

On what basis do you have this elevated power ranking for this trailer trash of a team?
And to answer your question, I have no idea how Vegas or Pate develop their Power rankings. If you think Vegas is bad at rating teams, then there is probably some good money out there for you to win.
 
Back
Top