Tears Gator Tears

Post #64665 by @TheOriginalCane had a quote by billy where he was basically saying they couldn't host recruits this weekend because it was graduation weekend and hotels and restaurants would be full. Foolish excuse for failing to get anybody to come in for a visit. It also looks like the article states that the gater has had only ONE portal visitor this year. He was quoted as saying 'it is what it is.' lololol If I'm the AD I'm using that exact line when I fire him.

Follow up: the head coach at UF has no pull to book a table anywhere in bum**** Gainesville?

Advertisement
Agreed. AT LEAST you have conversations, you're not exactly "getting married" or "entering into a binding contracts" on a phone call or a visit.

The part that absolutely destroyed me is "but it's graduation weekend". Billy could look at the Portal Entry schedule (April 15 to April 30), realize that the FIRST AVAILABLE WEEKEND TO VISIT was the weekend of graduation, and then book a couple of dinners at restaurants.

Good lord, they are already ON PICTORIAL RECORD as being willing to serve catered macaroni-and-mayo to recruits, and Hogtown ain't fancy, so WHERE do the Gaytors house recruits and feed recruits that is SO CONVINCING to bag recruits, but which was otherwise unavailable because of parents coming in from out of town for graduation?

This is next-level negligence on Slingblade Billy's part...

The Motel 6 with the Big BoB next to it….

Post #64665 by @TheOriginalCane had a quote by billy where he was basically saying they couldn't host recruits this weekend because it was graduation weekend and hotels and restaurants would be full. Foolish excuse for failing to get anybody to come in for a visit. It also looks like the article states that the gater has had only ONE portal visitor this year. He was quoted as saying 'it is what it is.' lololol If I'm the AD I'm using that exact line when I fire him.

This is what happens when you choose to go to college in a one-horse tank town.

Advertisement

That IS the upper tier restaurant in Gainesville - and hey. The Chicken and eggs is really tasty. With all the guests for graduation - it can sometimes result in a 10-minute wait. To get a table.

I checked - the upper tier motel in Gainesville - The NO-TELL MOTEL - was booked up! Even their around-the-back Rooms-by-the-Hour.

It's crazy! All they needed was another four or five recruits and parents come in . . .

Most kids from John Curtis don’t end up at LSU.J T Curtis whose family founded the school doesn’t think much of LSU and steers his kids elsewhere if he can.He has a bad taste regarding LSU after ******** him over years ago regarding a job that was supposedly promised if he steered a kid there.

Not to say LSU doesn’t get some from time to time but getting a kid from Curtis is not as hard as you would think.
They goto usc or did in the 2000s if i remember correctly

Advertisement
Maybe he doesn't want hair and ***** in his food...he's not very popular right now...
I know we’re not getting Jeremiah Smith but they are getting an OV. Lagway is still an enigma to me.

3D5E7DED-81DD-4B6D-89F6-492714853B16.jpeg

A8F5F0FB-1B5C-4E97-B0A3-8E2A7258C231.jpeg
32889433-D98B-41C1-8C22-48D742EBED7B.jpeg
C80B9500-1A52-49A4-8BBE-FF4A02D225D3.jpeg
347C9871-F71C-4014-84F2-CFB388434968.jpeg
142769DF-DF5D-44C6-9D58-34A8011EB27A.jpeg

These boys are doing FBI Top Secret level scrutiny before they'll see if the player wants to come visit? That's ******* backwards. If the player is good and fills a need you invite them for a visit right away. Then you know whether you even need to do the investigation and you have plenty of time to do it before they enroll. But hey, you keep doing it backwards billy, it's working so well. It is what it is.
twitch shut up GIF by Hyper RPG

Billy says its "worked for them and that's what they're going to continue doing". I believe him and wholeheartedly support his genius strategy......

Advertisement
I was just in Gainesville this weekend for a graduation, and it was genuinely worse than I imagined.

I thought it’d be a cool college town at least, but “downtown” is an absolute dump and the bars/restaurants that aren’t dumps are closing.

Tallahassee is so much better, it’s kind of sad.

Unsure where else to put this but a co-worker of mine was a bull gator for yearssss unsure when he stopped but he still gets invited to all the special events etc. Apparently Billy is on some speaking tour and went to the local chapter of the gator club or whatever they call it and my co-worker went.

He was paraphrasing and while he said Billy talks a good game, and was nice, and personable, the message to all the money guys in the room was:

-preached patience in the process for this year;

-stated the following year is likely the first year to start seeing results

-Said Mertz looks better in practice than what is being reported;

-Hard to play in the portal, basically you have years to build a relationship with guys in HS and the portal you only have days, if that. First thing he does is check transcripts, see if they can qualify academically, then want to investigate why they are leaving and then start to evaluate talent etc.

-Briefly acknowledged with a broad brush that everyone is having to figure out this NIL/Collective thing but UF is figuring it out and has safe guards in place so help prevent any issues and they should be trusted with investments;

-Stated how much of a mess it was when he arrived and instead of trying to put a bandaid over the issue and keep going he needed to do a complete teardown;

-Said he was excited about the draft and felt it shows UF can develop and ID players but needs more depth and more cohesion for the raw traits to turn into wins.

I was just in Gainesville this weekend for a graduation, and it was genuinely worse than I imagined.

I thought it’d be a cool college town at least, but “downtown” is an absolute dump and the bars/restaurants that aren’t dumps are closing.

Tallahassee is so much better, it’s kind of sad.
Happy Chicago Sky GIF by WNBA

Advertisement
I'm going to use my corch-speak interpreter on the below (bracketed translations within the quote)...

Unsure where else to put this but a co-worker of mine was a bull gator for yearssss unsure when he stopped but he still gets invited to all the special events etc. Apparently Billy is on some speaking tour and went to the local chapter of the gator club or whatever they call it and my co-worker went.

He was paraphrasing and while he said Billy talks a good game, and was nice, and personable, the message to all the money guys in the room was:

-preached patience in the process for this year; [I expect this season to be a trainwreck. Like, really bad. Please don't fire me.]

-stated the following year is likely the first year to start seeing results [Can we please just wait a year before potentially doing something rash? Next year might not suck as much.]

-Said Mertz looks better in practice than what is being reported; [To the extent people are saying Mertz looks like hot garbage, he's actually room temperature garbage, at worst. But if I had someone better, I'd play him.]

-Hard to play in the portal, basically you have years to build a relationship with guys in HS and the portal you only have days, if that. First thing he does is check transcripts, see if they can qualify academically, then want to investigate why they are leaving and then start to evaluate talent etc. [I'm just not built for this portal game. It moves too fast and without the bags to build the relationship, it ain't being built. Also, I'm not sure why these kids won't send me their highlight tape? How do these other coaches do it without highlight tape?!]

-Briefly acknowledged with a broad brush that everyone is having to figure out this NIL/Collective thing but UF is figuring it out and has safe guards in place so help prevent any issues and they should be trusted with investments; [Please give us more money. These kids all know we reneged on Rashada and without up front bags I'm going to get left behind even worse.]

-Stated how much of a mess it was when he arrived and instead of trying to put a bandaid over the issue and keep going he needed to do a complete teardown; [The last guy really messed things up. I swear. It's way more his fault than mine or anyone else's. I promise. Again, expect this season to be a trainwreck, but please don't fire me. It's the last guy's fault!]

-Said he was excited about the draft and felt it shows UF can develop and ID players but needs more depth and more cohesion for the raw traits to turn into wins. [I didn't think these guys would get drafted so high, to be honest. But, now that they have, let's focus on the kids that are no longer here, ignore the current state of the program, and definitely ignore how underutilized they were by my staff. It'll help us in recruiting, I swear.]

-preached patience in the process for this year;

-stated the following year is likely the first year to start seeing results

-Said Mertz looks better in practice than what is being reported;

-Hard to play in the portal, basically you have years to build a relationship with guys in HS and the portal you only have days, if that. First thing he does is check transcripts, see if they can qualify academically, then want to investigate why they are leaving and then start to evaluate talent etc.

-Briefly acknowledged with a broad brush that everyone is having to figure out this NIL/Collective thing but UF is figuring it out and has safe guards in place so help prevent any issues and they should be trusted with investments;

-Stated how much of a mess it was when he arrived and instead of trying to put a bandaid over the issue and keep going he needed to do a complete teardown;

-Said he was excited about the draft and felt it shows UF can develop and ID players but needs more depth and more cohesion for the raw traits to turn into wins.

I realize these "spring tour" events are supposed to be positive and all, but COME ON, Billy...

Patience in the process? Even if that is true of wins/losses, it certainly doesn't explain the inability to schedule any Portal visitors. Let's not forget, Slingblade Billy told these Bull Gaytors he was building an "Army" (his words, not mine) to assist with the mechanics of recruiting. Soooo...eighteen months into his tenure, that's no longer "patience in the process" stuff, that's abject negligence when it comes to execution.

So you only START TO SEE RESULTS in Year 3? Billy, do you know what school employs you currently? If you think you have three years to START TO SEE RESULTS, I think you should have just stayed at La-La.

Mertz looks better in practice than reported? Suuuuure. Then all the WRs must look like gods, with all those dimes they are catching...Slingblade Billy tells himself that his ***** looks much bigger when someone is looking at it from underneath, as opposed to looking at it from above...

The stuff about Portal and academics is just flat-out lies. Unless a kid is flunking out of his prior school, academic QUALIFICATION is easy. Now, "how many credits transfer" is a completely separate issue, but it is NOT a disqualifying issue. And EVERYBODY IN THE COUNTRY faces the same obstacles that poor poor Slingblade Billy faces.

Oh, lord, more NIL/Collective excuses...again, EVERYBODY IN THE COUNTRY...

Blame your predecessor.

As for being excited about the draft and how that shows UF can identify and develop players...hey, Billy, I'll give you credit for O'Cyrus, but there's no way in **** I'm giving you credit for the other guys drafted. AR-15 might have had the WORST QB stats and game performances of any other Top 5 QB of all time. He got drafted off of BODY TYPE, not "development".

Las Vegas predicts UF to have the 13th best record in the SEC. Out of 14 teams. They are predicted to be the 2nd worst team in the SEC. Bottom feeders. Implosion. Going backwards.

Win total odds for SEC teams in 2023:​

Georgia Bulldogs — 11.5

Alabama Crimson Tide — 10.5

Tennessee Volunteers — 9.5

LSU Tigers — 9.5

Ole Miss Rebels — 7.5

Arkansas Razorbacks — 7.5

Texas A&M Aggies — 7.5

South Carolina Gamecocks — 6.5

Kentucky Wildcats — 6.5

Missouri Tigers — 6.5

Mississippi State Bulldogs — 6.5