Tears Gator Tears

Come on man - That’s different though. That benefitted the gaytors. That’s perfectly acceptable. After all, deep within the soul of every recruit, is a future gaytor fighting to get out and chomp.
Luckily most recruits go to the toilet and see it was just a **** that was deep inside, which they flush down the toilet...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Zero posts of solidarity from the Gators verified social media accounts. That should go over well in recruiting.

They probably dont wanna **** the Bull Gator donors off...

Im not saying Miami doesnt have its share of problems when it comes to race but I wonder if this will change how some inner city kids view their recruitment.

Zero posts of solidarity from the Gators verified social media accounts. That should go over well in recruiting.
I hear you, and agree with you. More importantly, I think Manny being Hispanic and from Miami gives him a different take on this. I know he grew up privileged, but growing up in a city still exposes you to different cultures, ethnicities, etc., especially when your dad is mayor (or at least it should). I will say this, almost as bad as outright silence are either people like Dabo who are blaming the bible's evils or the schools that put out a canned PR statement that they had a firm scrub as a recruiting tool. But ideally, you want leaders who are being authentic, educating themselves, showing empathy, listening, and doing more in some action than just posting a black box on Instagram.

I hear you, and agree with you. More importantly, I think Manny being Hispanic and from Miami gives him a different take on this. I know he grew up privileged, but growing up in a city still exposes you to different cultures, ethnicities, etc., especially when your dad is mayor (or at least it should). I will say this, almost as bad as outright silence are either people like Dabo who are blaming the bible's evils or the schools that put out a canned PR statement that they had a firm scrub as a recruiting tool. But ideally, you want leaders who are being authentic, educating themselves, showing empathy, listening, and doing more in some action than just posting a black box on Instagram.
Agreed. Manny made his own posts and the official canes football page had made posts. Mullen, not even a peep.

Advertisement

Manny is also old enough to remember the McDuffie riots in 1980 and if he doesnt he could ask his dad. The 1st 30 for 30 highlighted that...we kept a lot of the local kids home, they were proud to represent the city and the rest was history.

I think Manny, Lashlee and Rumph have done a good job so far in their statements. I havent heard many college coaches say anything. Dabo has put his foot in his mouth...

Manny is also old enough to remember the McDuffie riots in 1980 and if he doesnt he could ask his dad. The 1st 30 for 30 highlighted that...we kept a lot of the local kids home, they were proud to represent the city and the rest was history.

I think Manny, Lashlee and Rumph have done a good job so far in their statements. I havent heard many college coaches say anything. Dabo has put his foot in his mouth...
Dabo already had one foot there for opining on Kaepernick, so he really had to say something here. I respect that he did it on a conference call and didn’t just put out a statement but that’s about where the positives end and the second foot joined the first one.

Edit - and agree about Manny and his dad living through those riots, being able to speak on those, and the impact that they (should) have on someone growing up through them.

Dabo already had one foot there for opining on Kaepernick, so he really had to say something here. I respect that he did it on a conference call and didn’t just put out a statement but that’s about where the positives end and the second foot joined the first one.

Edit - and agree about Manny and his dad living through those riots, being able to speak on those, and the impact that they (should) have on someone growing up through them.
I was in junior high when he was killed. Manny would’ve been too young but his father was around for certain.

4546F585-ACD0-4A43-B51B-2AC841A4F541.jpeg
A0F0692E-E811-48EA-86A2-C72AC841A61F.jpeg
9242C950-E67D-4A02-9B97-28B1E2DCA935.jpeg
2FF05C08-81F8-4B80-A959-8A7BE3AA9849.jpeg
BC8AB0C8-57D6-4F22-B00C-C568534F7BB4.jpeg

Advertisement
Anyone with VIP, apparently they’re ripping Mullet on this Ole Miss board. Page 3 might be where it picks up.
It goes beach to this kid being recruited by the powers and Ole miss being investigated for it and not Miss. St

Essentially they’re whining because they were caught and not their rival.

It goes beach to this kid being recruited by the powers and Ole miss being investigated for it and not Miss. St

Essentially they’re whining because they were caught and not their rival.
Yea theres a thing on youtube about it. Paid in Mississippi. Basically just shows how NCAA only wanted info on ole miss even when kids talked about getting paid by other SEC schools

Advertisement
I was in junior high when he was killed. Manny would’ve been too young but his father was around for certain.
Remember that the Muriel boat lift was in full swing at the time, so demographics and tension was at a high level. The more recent racial incident was the 1989 riot when police officer Lozano shot Clement Lloyd.

Miami has had its share of tension, but I think because of that, there's a lot more understanding and empathy.

Yea theres a thing on youtube about it. Paid in Mississippi. Basically just shows how NCAA only wanted info on ole miss even when kids talked about getting paid by other SEC schools
Everyone knows Ole **** is the NCAA's SEC whipping boy. They're the only school who ever gets punished for doing the same thing all the other schools do. They should think about moving to a different conference.

Advertisement
Remember that the Muriel boat lift was in full swing at the time, so demographics and tension was at a high level. The more recent racial incident was the 1989 riot when police officer Lozano shot Clement Lloyd.

Miami has had its share of tension, but I think because of that, there's a lot more understanding and empathy.

Not to nitpick, but I don't think the demographics/tension were really related to Mariel.

McDuffie was murdered in December 1979. The first acquittal was on May 8, 1980. The remaining officers were acquitted on May 17, 1980. The riots began that evening.

The first Marielitos arrived April 21, 1980, but only about 7,000 arrived in April (out of 125,000 total).

After the riots were over, I believe that tensions increased, because the City of Miami (and Miami-Dade Metro) began to focus their attention on the Marielitos over the concerns of the black community (this was their belief, I'm not taking any particular side).

But the tension that cause the riots had to do with the relationship between the black community and the white majority, the Cuban population really didn't factor in to that riot.

Now, by 1989...yes. By then, the black community had spent a decade observing how the Cuban community was able to gain power and influence that had long been denied to them.

On a personal note, in 1989, myself and some of my fraternity brothers were in North Miami being trained to sell t-shirts/merch for Super Bowl XXIII, and I was driving down I-95 just as the riots started. This was pre-cell-phone/pre-Google-Maps, and fortunately I knew my way around Miami, so I got off of I-95 and drove west until I hit Red Road, which I figured would be far enough west. A couple of days later, we were doing a fraternity "**** week" thing over by the old Faculty Club, and the next thing we knew we were surrounded by a couple of dozen Gables/South Miami cops who thought we were going to riot. Good times.

Not to nitpick, but I don't think the demographics/tension were really related to Mariel.

McDuffie was murdered in December 1979. The first acquittal was on May 8, 1980. The remaining officers were acquitted on May 17, 1980. The riots began that evening.

The first Marielitos arrived April 21, 1980, but only about 7,000 arrived in April (out of 125,000 total).

After the riots were over, I believe that tensions increased, because the City of Miami (and Miami-Dade Metro) began to focus their attention on the Marielitos over the concerns of the black community (this was their belief, I'm not taking any particular side).

But the tension that cause the riots had to do with the relationship between the black community and the white majority, the Cuban population really didn't factor in to that riot.

Now, by 1989...yes. By then, the black community had spent a decade observing how the Cuban community was able to gain power and influence that had long been denied to them.

On a personal note, in 1989, myself and some of my fraternity brothers were in North Miami being trained to sell t-shirts/merch for Super Bowl XXIII, and I was driving down I-95 just as the riots started. This was pre-cell-phone/pre-Google-Maps, and fortunately I knew my way around Miami, so I got off of I-95 and drove west until I hit Red Road, which I figured would be far enough west. A couple of days later, we were doing a fraternity "**** week" thing over by the old Faculty Club, and the next thing we knew we were surrounded by a couple of dozen Gables/South Miami cops who thought we were going to riot. Good times.
No, but Mariel contributed to an adjustment of the demographics and an understanding of oppression. It made Miami even more cosmopolitan.

My wording could have been better. I meant Mariel changed demographics and ended up having a positive impact.

Advertisement
Back