Tears Gator Tears

Advertisement
While some of that is correct, other parts are not.

Initial Counters count at enrollment, and ICs are more than just "signing class". Transfers and JuCos count as ICs too. Thus, an FA signer WILL EVENTUALLY count as an IC when he enrolls. I know that you are claiming that a few schools "still do" this, but the IC rule was just changed for non-qualifiers, so I'm not sure why they might have done it in the past, or whether they think this loophole will work in the future.

But, I do see your POSSIBLE non-qualifier loophole in the scenario you described, though I do not believe the rule has been around long enough to PROVE that it works, or that the NCAA will allow it.

The funny thing is that the IC rules were intended to force the issue when it comes to ENROLLMENT (of any sort, LOI or not), but the new rule kinda-sorta accelerates the IC count to guys who never even enroll. In other words, let's say a guy is in the LOI/FA signing class in February, and never enrolls (and Wardrick Wilson might be an example of this with his visa issue), would those guys count (or not count) against IC numbers? I don't think we know the answer yet on Wilson. But an LOI guy who fails to qualify DOES count against the IC numbers, and I don't know if the Gaytors signed all their risky guys to LOIs or FAs. We could check the Signing Day articles.

Regardless of anything, I can tell you EXACTLY what will happen next. If any school DOES use the loophole to sign academically risky kids to FA agreements instead of LOIs, and they SUCCEED in circumventing the IC limitations, then the NCAA will rewrite the rule with speed.

Anyone that signs an LOI counts if they enroll or not.

So if Wilson doesnt enroll, he still counts.

**** out of here with this bull****. Gator tears not gator empathy.
no empathy for them. **** their school and all sports teams but to say those are ugly cause of the gator skin look is stupid. they are ugly cause of the logo on them. Plenty of people would rock them if they didnt have the UiF logo on the tongue lets not play ourselves.

Didn't you just repeat what @2.0 said

No. He is saying that schools have done this for a long time. I am saying that the IC non-qualifier rule JUST WENT INTO EFFECT.

He is saying that schools are "continuing" to do this. I am saying that the NCAA will never allow such an obvious loophole to be exploited.

He is saying that FAs somehow don't count against IC limits or the signing class. I am saying that if that were true, no school would ever offer a player an LOI, they would only give out FAs, and everyone would be at 85 recruited scholarship players all the time.

Advertisement

Initial Counters count at enrollment, and ICs are more than just "signing class". Transfers and JuCos count as ICs too. Thus, an FA signer WILL EVENTUALLY count as an IC when he enrolls. I know that you are claiming that a few schools "still do" this, but the IC rule was just changed for non-qualifiers, so I'm not sure why they might have done it in the past, or whether they think this loophole will work in the future.

But, I do see your POSSIBLE non-qualifier loophole in the scenario you described, though I do not believe the rule has been around long enough to PROVE that it works, or that the NCAA will allow it.

The funny thing is that the IC rules were intended to force the issue when it comes to ENROLLMENT (of any sort, LOI or not), but the new rule kinda-sorta accelerates the IC count to guys who never even enroll. In other words, let's say a guy is in the LOI/FA signing class in February, and never enrolls (and Wardrick Wilson might be an example of this with his visa issue), would those guys count (or not count) against IC numbers? I don't think we know the answer yet on Wilson. But an LOI guy who fails to qualify DOES count against the IC numbers, and I don't know if the Gaytors signed all their risky guys to LOIs or FAs. We could check the Signing Day articles.

Regardless of anything, I can tell you EXACTLY what will happen next. If any school DOES use the loophole to sign academically risky kids to FA agreements instead of LOIs, and they SUCCEED in circumventing the IC limitations, then the NCAA will rewrite the rule with speed.

There is a few G5 schools that already do this.

No. He is saying that schools have done this for a long time. I am saying that the IC non-qualifier rule JUST WENT INTO EFFECT.

He is saying that schools are "continuing" to do this. I am saying that the NCAA will never allow such an obvious loophole to be exploited.

He is saying that FAs somehow don't count against IC limits or the signing class. I am saying that if that were true, no school would ever offer a player an LOI, they would only give out FAs, and everyone would be at 85 recruited scholarship players all the time.

No what I am saying is schools have started to do this with the new rules in effect.

An FA Agreement doesnt legally bind the player to a school only the school to the player. To be honest, If I was a Top 100 player, I wouldnt sign an LOI, I would sign an FAA with multiple schools and then just enroll to the school I truly want to go to.

No what I am saying is schools have started to do this with the new rules in effect.

OK, fine, but this is what you wrote:

"Here is a Loophole that I know a few schools still do."

So if I'm confused by what you meant, it was based on what you wrote.

And I am saying that IF some schools are doing this as a test of the rules, fine. But if they succeed, either EVERY school will copy them, or the NCAA will rewrite the rule. That is all.

I'm saying it's a potential loophole, because we still have one month until schools have to certify their IC lists for the 2019-20 academic year.

So we just don't know the final NCAA interpretation yet.

Advertisement
An FA Agreement doesnt legally bind the player to a school only the school to the player. To be honest, If I was a Top 100 player, I wouldnt sign an LOI, I would sign an FAA with multiple schools and then just enroll to the school I truly want to go to.

And once the player enrolls, FA or LOI or JuCo or transfer, that player counts as an IC. It's once they actually enroll and GET FINANCIAL AID, regardless of how financial aid was offered. The only guys who don't count as ICs are guys that enroll at the school, pay the tuition for 2 years, and then are LATER put on financial aid. Walk-ons.

The ONLY question is whether the NCAA will allow a differential treatment UNDER THE NEW NON-QUALIFIER RULE, for guys who sign FAs vs. guys who sign LOIs.

I'm not blaming the schools for TRYING to beat the rule, but I don't think the NCAA is going to differentiate. For OTHER rules, they differentiate between whether a kid was RECRUITED, not by what type of agreement was signed. And, clearly, all these kids signing FAs were recruited.

In other words, let's say we were recruiting Ray Lewis late in the annual recruiting cycle. It's April. He's going to register for summer classes in May. We don't get to beat the system by allowing him to enroll without signing an FA or an LOI, and just GIVING him the financial aid without a document.

Or think about it another way. Lots of kids enroll in January. Some do not make their decisions until December. If, under your interpretation, the NCAA allows all those kids to enroll in colleges without any FA/LOI/IC issues, then everyone would do it. And I get it, those kids are not going to be the "non-qualifiers". I'm just pointing out that the NCAA is not all about those loopholes.

I bet they didn’t do it as FA’s if it wouldn’t net them class rankings boosts.

OK, fine, but this is what you wrote:

"Here is a Loophole that I know a few schools still do."

So if I'm confused by what you meant, it was based on what you wrote.

And I am saying that IF some schools are doing this as a test of the rules, fine. But if they succeed, either EVERY school will copy them, or the NCAA will rewrite the rule. That is all.

I'm saying it's a potential loophole, because we still have one month until schools have to certify their IC lists for the 2019-20 academic year.

So we just don't know the final NCAA interpretation yet.

Like I said I know of a few G5 schools that already do this.

And once the player enrolls, FA or LOI or JuCo or transfer, that player counts as an IC. It's once they actually enroll and GET FINANCIAL AID, regardless of how financial aid was offered. The only guys who don't count as ICs are guys that enroll at the school, pay the tuition for 2 years, and then are LATER put on financial aid. Walk-ons.

The ONLY question is whether the NCAA will allow a differential treatment UNDER THE NEW NON-QUALIFIER RULE, for guys who sign FAs vs. guys who sign LOIs.

I'm not blaming the schools for TRYING to beat the rule, but I don't think the NCAA is going to differentiate. For OTHER rules, they differentiate between whether a kid was RECRUITED, not by what type of agreement was signed. And, clearly, all these kids signing FAs were recruited.

In other words, let's say we were recruiting Ray Lewis late in the annual recruiting cycle. It's April. He's going to register for summer classes in May. We don't get to beat the system by allowing him to enroll without signing an FA or an LOI, and just GIVING him the financial aid without a document.

Or think about it another way. Lots of kids enroll in January. Some do not make their decisions until December. If, under your interpretation, the NCAA allows all those kids to enroll in colleges without any FA/LOI/IC issues, then everyone would do it. And I get it, those kids are not going to be the "non-qualifiers". I'm just pointing out that the NCAA is not all about those loopholes.

Now a walk-on doesnt have to wait 2 years to be put on scholarship.

Advertisement
Now a walk-on doesnt have to wait 2 years to be put on scholarship.

Wrong again on the 2 years. And I told you that the NCAA would not allow a loophole between an FA and an LOI.

MICHELLE BRUTLAG HOSICK | NCAA.COM | APRIL 14, 2017
DI Council adopts new recruiting model

The Division I Council acted Friday to offer potential Division I football student-athletes earlier opportunities for official visits to college campuses and increase their access to college coaches. The Council also acted to make the recruiting environment more transparent and better tied to high schools.

Current student-athletes also will have increased access to coaches under the football recruiting proposal, adopted as a package by the Council. The proposal comes a year after an attempt to more tightly restrict coaches’ participation in camps and clinics failed. At that time, the Division I Board of Directors asked the Council to come up with a more comprehensive plan to regulate the football recruiting environment for students and coaches.

Council chair Jim Phillips, Northwestern’s vice president for athletics and recreation, said the Council and its Division I Football Oversight Committee accepted the challenge that resulted in the new legislation.

“Today’s adoption of the football legislation marks the most significant progress in recent years to improve the football environment and culture for current and prospective student-athletes and coaches,” he said. “Importantly, the action of the NCAA Division I Council delivers on the charge of the Division I Board of Directors to comprehensively improve the football recruiting environment. This affirms that the new Division I governance structure can effectively and timely address important issues.”

The new legislation accomplishes several things:

• It changes the recruiting calendar to allow for an early signing period in December (effective Aug. 1). Only the Collegiate Commissioners Association can create new National Letter of Intent signing periods.

• It adds a period for official visits that begins April 1 of the junior year and ends the Sunday before the last Wednesday in June of that year. Official visits can’t occur in conjunction with a prospect’s participation in a school’s camp or clinic (effective Aug. 1).

• It prevents Football Bowl Subdivision schools from hiring people close to a prospective student-athlete for a two-year period before and after the student’s anticipated and actual enrollment at the school. This provision was adopted in men’s basketball in 2010 (effective immediately, though schools may honor contracts signed before Jan. 18, 2017).

Football Bowl Subdivision schools are limited to signing 25 prospective and current student-athletes to a first-time financial aid agreement or a National Letter of Intent. Exceptions exclude current student-athletes who have been enrolled full-time at the school for at least two years and prospective or current student-athletes who suffer an incapacitating injury (effective for recruits who sign after Aug. 1, 2017).

• It limits the time for Football Bowl Subdivision coaches to participate in camps and clinics to 10 days in June and July and requires that the camps take place on a school’s campus or in facilities regularly used by the school for practice or competition. Staff members with football-specific responsibilities are subject to the same restrictions. The Football Championship Subdivision can conduct and participate in camps during the months of June and July (effective immediately, though schools may honor contracts signed before Jan. 18, 2017).

• It allows coaches employed at a camp or clinic to have recruiting conversations with prospects participating in camps and clinics and requires educational sessions at all camps and clinics detailing initial eligibility standards, gambling rules, agent rules and drug regulations (effective immediately).

It allows Football Bowl Subdivision schools to hire a 10th assistant coach (effective Jan. 9, 2018).

Wrong again on the 2 years. And I told you that the NCAA would not allow a loophole between an FA and an LOI.

MICHELLE BRUTLAG HOSICK | NCAA.COM | APRIL 14, 2017
DI Council adopts new recruiting model

The Division I Council acted Friday to offer potential Division I football student-athletes earlier opportunities for official visits to college campuses and increase their access to college coaches. The Council also acted to make the recruiting environment more transparent and better tied to high schools.

Current student-athletes also will have increased access to coaches under the football recruiting proposal, adopted as a package by the Council. The proposal comes a year after an attempt to more tightly restrict coaches’ participation in camps and clinics failed. At that time, the Division I Board of Directors asked the Council to come up with a more comprehensive plan to regulate the football recruiting environment for students and coaches.

Council chair Jim Phillips, Northwestern’s vice president for athletics and recreation, said the Council and its Division I Football Oversight Committee accepted the challenge that resulted in the new legislation.

“Today’s adoption of the football legislation marks the most significant progress in recent years to improve the football environment and culture for current and prospective student-athletes and coaches,” he said. “Importantly, the action of the NCAA Division I Council delivers on the charge of the Division I Board of Directors to comprehensively improve the football recruiting environment. This affirms that the new Division I governance structure can effectively and timely address important issues.”

The new legislation accomplishes several things:

• It changes the recruiting calendar to allow for an early signing period in December (effective Aug. 1). Only the Collegiate Commissioners Association can create new National Letter of Intent signing periods.

• It adds a period for official visits that begins April 1 of the junior year and ends the Sunday before the last Wednesday in June of that year. Official visits can’t occur in conjunction with a prospect’s participation in a school’s camp or clinic (effective Aug. 1).

• It prevents Football Bowl Subdivision schools from hiring people close to a prospective student-athlete for a two-year period before and after the student’s anticipated and actual enrollment at the school. This provision was adopted in men’s basketball in 2010 (effective immediately, though schools may honor contracts signed before Jan. 18, 2017).

Football Bowl Subdivision schools are limited to signing 25 prospective and current student-athletes to a first-time financial aid agreement or a National Letter of Intent. Exceptions exclude current student-athletes who have been enrolled full-time at the school for at least two years and prospective or current student-athletes who suffer an incapacitating injury (effective for recruits who sign after Aug. 1, 2017).

• It limits the time for Football Bowl Subdivision coaches to participate in camps and clinics to 10 days in June and July and requires that the camps take place on a school’s campus or in facilities regularly used by the school for practice or competition. Staff members with football-specific responsibilities are subject to the same restrictions. The Football Championship Subdivision can conduct and participate in camps during the months of June and July (effective immediately, though schools may honor contracts signed before Jan. 18, 2017).

• It allows coaches employed at a camp or clinic to have recruiting conversations with prospects participating in camps and clinics and requires educational sessions at all camps and clinics detailing initial eligibility standards, gambling rules, agent rules and drug regulations (effective immediately).

It allows Football Bowl Subdivision schools to hire a 10th assistant coach (effective Jan. 9, 2018).

The walk-on rule changed after this article was written. Did you even look at the date? This rule change happened last summer.

Advertisement
A326A81E-A008-4D05-A44F-6C94CCDF0A8C.png
13E3C9B8-ED4D-42B2-9D93-D02BFEDE0D12.jpeg
8C3E16F2-9935-4092-B982-C29CCD04C4DB.jpeg
4E8F42B1-EE2A-4C26-8CA9-F9E18A3CF8C4.png
3BB9E016-2E41-41E3-8E94-6D92F6846256.jpeg
DA071B28-82A1-47BE-8492-CAE206C9C2DB.png
2FA6EB6C-EC98-4042-8168-CDB8E36FD7F7.png
5EA6B96E-49FA-427E-8E8B-F3D1343B42D1.jpeg
6395A73F-5922-4001-B551-EFCC560DC8BA.png

Advertisement
Back