Gather around the fire with Your Living Legend

I didn’t know what to make of it at the time. I was trying to consider if it was really smart or coRchery. It worked out well but I will only add that if Manny knew the defense was now playing better because he took it over from Baker and already saw the results then in hindsight I love the call.
He was coaching by feel and gut and it worked out. It's a situation where the book and charts and all that probably say to go for it, but we had been shutting them down a bit in the 4th quarter, so the feel of the game had changed at that point. Get the 3 and then get the win.

Advertisement
I certainly questioned Manny's decision to kick the fg when he did, but I don't think he makes that decision without taking over play calling. He won't admit it because he'll protect Baker, but I'd bet every cent that I have that that soft shell that Baker routinely plays disappeared once Manny took over.
Also, I just have to get this off my chest, what in God's name are the D coaches teaching? Not only do we lack discipline, but our D seems devoid of fundamentals. The fundamentals of setting the edge, watching the ball (D line), how to wrap up and tackle, getting your head around, etc. We do have talent, but it's tough watching mistake after mistake.
The defensive staff is amateur hour. A bunch of beef stews and rusty nails. We've got 3 OCs on O and a bunch of Manny's hair gel fetchers on D.

WHEW!!! I'll start by saying that was a wildly exciting football game. Back and forth. That was some old school Rocky fake boxing ****. It was another slugfest with a crappy opponent with a bad backup QB, but at least this one was fun to watch. Let's get right to it.

Pros:

--The King. This is a special special dude. He's tough as nails. Cool as a cucumber. A phenomenal leader. Just imagine what this season would be looking like right now if we didn't have that dude. Mabo would be circling the drain like a **** shot in the shower. That was the best QB performance I've seen at UM since Vinny beat OU with some superman ****. Sure, it wasn't for all the marbles or any of that other cliche ****, but it was incredibly important to THIS TEAM's season. Without that miracle performance, we lose to a crappy team, and the wheels officially fall off with us likely staring at at least 3 more losses.

King brings not only exceptional ability, but he's a guy that his teammates can rally around because of his toughness and leadership too. This dude's a dream QB for this program and Lashlee's system. I knew NCSU's D was a **** pile, but King still had to make those plays. Guys were open, but we've seen that before. Open doesn't mean the play will be made.

If we didn't have a handful of drops, King would have been a 90% passer for 500 yards with 600 total yards. Let that sink in. We've never seen anything remotely close to that. OK. I'm going to stop sucking King's dyck because my jaw is getting tired.

--The team's resolve. They made a lot of mistakes and came out sluggish and undisciplined, but they kept swinging.

--Joe B. That dude's automatic, and he gives us a guy we can rely on. If we didn't have him, we don't kick that late FG and probably fail on 4th and goal from the 5. And that onside kick didn't happen by accident. He drilled that dude with the ball on purpose.

--Cam Williams. It was one play, and I don't know if anyone even saw it, but it was pretty fun to see a DE 35 yards down the field running down a RB. That was hustle and some crazy athletic ability. Looked like Metcalf.

--Knighton for dropping a hat on NCSU's K. I love that kid's toughness. He's a tone setter. He's close to breaking a KO for TD, but it'll probably get called back anyway.

--Harley. This little dude has flipped the switch. He's pretty much catching everything, and he's a TD machine. Harley, before the last 2 weeks, falls down on that final slant that he housed. Now, he keeps his baby giraffe legs and balance and goes to the promised land.

--Pope. He's a con and a pro for me. He's an enigma, but I get the feeling he's right on the cusp of being the guy I always thought he would be. He was wide open for a long TD on one of King's only bad throws. He had another awful drop and a stupid drive killing selfish penalty, so it was tough to put him the pro section. I put him here because I admire grit almost more than anything, and he showed it last night. He could have folded after his early struggles, but he didn't. Kudos, Pope.

--OL. We rallied. NCSU is a terrible D, but that hasn't stopped us in the past from giving up a ton of sacks. We gave King more time than I can remember a UM QB getting consistently. Still not moving anyone in the run game, but we started getting it going a little bit late in the game.

--Nesta's super manly bull rush late. That was a momentum changer. Our DL isn't getting the pressure I thought they would, but that play was huge.

--Love little Couch. He's a tough kid with great football instincts. The way he evaded the RB on his sack is what we've been missing. Most of the time, our blitzers
just run into blocks and get absorbed. Not Couch. I love him blitzing from the slot because he's fast, tough, and smart. He's not looking to get absorbed.

Cons:

--Defense. Again, we let a ****** backup (and don't let anyone tell you that POS Hockaloogey is anything other than bad) get comfortable and play easy pitch and catch. The D is a shell of what it was. I cautioned when we decided to go up tempo spread that our D would suffer, but I don't think last night had much to do with our up tempo offense. We just looked lifeless, slow and clueless for 3 and a half quarters.

--Al Jr. He dropped a huge INT. On top of that, he's another one of our CBs who is either coached not to find the ball or just can't. There was a long pass early that was underthrown. If Al turns his head, he picks it off. Instead, the WR slowed down, turned around, and caught it. Bad stuff. Watch how Clemson's CBs turn around and make plays on balls, and then watch ours. Ours look like the mentally challenged kid running face first into a wall.

--Once again, just too many guys wide open all over the field.

--Pass rush is super weak. I overestimated Phillips's impact in the pass game. I love his motor and his relentlessness, but he doesn't get enough heat on the QB for some reason. With his motor and athleticism, it must be a lack of toolbox. Wouldn't mind seeing a little more 22 and 12.

--Penalties. The selfish penalties are absolute killers and so are the offsides on 3rd and 4. We are still a very undisciplined team. We were absolutely killing ourselves with untimely penalties on O and D yesterday. Drive killers and drive extenders.

Conclusion: Not sure that game proved anything, but wow was it fun to watch and win. NCSU is a REALLY bad defensive team, but we took advantage of that. We've played some really bad defenses in the past and made them look good by slowing the game down and playing tight formation football in a phone booth ****. Last night, we humiliated a bad defense, which is what I've been dying to see for years.

Defensively, we're pretty weak. Play Vag Tech, UNC, or even Wake like this, and they'll hang 50 on us. Good news is we can hang a lot on them too. I expect a lot of shoot outs for the remainder of this season. We're playing some good offenses, and we stink on D. If we can keep The King rolling like this, we should be able to out shoot the rest of em.

Put King is a fcking hotel and leave him there for the rest of the season. Test some hookers. Let them relieve him of his poison. Give him room service. Do whatever you have to do to keep the VID away from him. But if this guy isn't our QB, we are garbage.
A quality post and some hilarious writing to boot!

He was coaching by feel and gut and it worked out. It's a situation where the book and charts and all that probably say to go for it, but we had been shutting them down a bit in the 4th quarter, so the feel of the game had changed at that point. Get the 3 and then get the win.
Yeah, if this is what happened, there’s hope. He’ll just need to make those staff changes on defense at then end of the season and we will start smashing the CoRstal. He needs to continue handling the defense from here on out. He will literally guarantee his and the program’s future

Advertisement
Good shìt Chise.

I feel like Pope will be next year's Mike Harley.

As long as he keeps working he'll become more consistent & be a full time playmaker for us, the kid has a similar work ethic to Mike's in that he will not allow his struggles to prevent him from continuing to work on his craft.

All he really needs to do is keep running on those 9 routes from the Boundary, I feel like sometimes he doesn't think he's gonna get it so he gears down but King will launch it & last second you'll see Pope fighting to pick up his speed to get under it.

But over the last 2 weeks when they have connected on some Deep throws Pope did a good job powering out past Man coverage & getting to the ball, I feel like King & Pope are beginning to gel & build that continuity that he already has with Harley.

Could be wishful thinking, but with the 21 WR's coming in & the TF's from the 20 class getting their opportunity, plus with Pope coming back I actually think we might mess around & have a very solid WR group next year.

Good shìt Chise.

As long as he keeps working he'll become more consistent & be a full time playmaker for us, the kid has a similar work ethic to Mike's in that he will not allow his struggles to prevent him from continuing to work on his craft.

All he really needs to do is keep running on those 9 routes from the Boundary, I feel like sometimes he doesn't think he's gonna get it so he gears down but King will launch it & last second you'll see Pope fighting to pick up his speed to get under it.

But over the last 2 weeks when they have connected on some Deep throws Pope did a good job powering out past Man coverage & getting to the ball, I feel like King & Pope are beginning to gel & build that continuity that he already has with Harley.

Could be wishful thinking, but with the 21 WR's coming in & the TF's from the 20 class getting their opportunity, plus with Pope coming back I actually think we might mess around & have a very solid WR group next year.
With it being a free year, does Harley come back?

Good shìt Chise.

Agree with all this. Good point on Pope gearing down on the 9 routes. I saw that last night on that deep ball that appeared to be overthrown, but I actually think it was perfectly thrown. Pope slowed down, then you could see he started stumbling like he often does on those deep routes and lost his footing.

The thing I've liked best about Pope this year has been his resilience. Last year, he'd go in the tank after a mistake. He started last night horribly but kept grinding and ended great. He's on the verge, brother.

I've overhyped our WRs for awhile now, so I'm going to agree with you on next year's crew. I'd sure love to see King working with them next year. I know everyone's high on Van *******, but this offense with King next year would be UNSTOPPABLE.

Advertisement
Good shìt Chise.

We will see with Pope, but if he puts it all together he has such a higher ceiling. You just see the suddenness with Pope. You see a player that is a game breaker that just happens to play like a ******.

Great stuff as usual Legend just a couple things..

I wish someone would tell me why Rumph has a job.His DB’s techniques suck and we all know his recruiting is non-existent.We are lucky the NCST QB sucked cause there were receivers running open all over the place like ants on an ice cream cone.

Not sure what happened in the WRs room a couple weeks ago but the whole group minus a couple of Popes usual drops looks like a whole different unit.Suddenly they are catching most everything and even grabbing 50/50 balls.

‘Can Lashlee please quit calling those running plays on 1st down up the middle.They gain zero yds for the most part and we end up playing with a 2 down series every possession.If he’s dead set on running on 1st down at least run something wide or off tackle where we have a little chance.Or try a pass.Theres a novel idea.Even the announcers mentioned it.

Baker needs to go.He should go give King his salary for the game ( under the table of course..lol) cause without his heroics his defensive shortcomings really come to the forefront.Manny HAS to grab his nuts and make a bunch of defensive changes.I know these are his boys but his boys are gonna get him fired.

A win is a win but this one made me stoop down beside the bed and say a little prayer that the King comes back next year cause if Baker and his minions on defense are back next year our season will start off with a beating like very few,if any,ever has.

again great stuff as usual and I look forward to your observations each week.

I wish someone would tell me why Rumph has a job.His DB’s techniques suck and we all know his recruiting is non-existent.We are lucky the NCST QB sucked cause there were receivers running open all over the place like ants on an ice cream cone.

Not sure what happened in the WRs room a couple weeks ago but the whole group minus a couple of Popes usual drops looks like a whole different unit.Suddenly they are catching most everything and even grabbing 50/50 balls.

‘Can Lashlee please quit calling those running plays on 1st down up the middle.They gain zero yds for the most part and we end up playing with a 2 down series every possession.If he’s dead set on running on 1st down at least run something wide or off tackle where we have a little chance.Or try a pass.Theres a novel idea.Even the announcers mentioned it.

Baker needs to go.He should go give King his salary for the game ( under the table of course..lol) cause without his heroics his defensive shortcomings really come to the forefront.Manny HAS to grab his nuts and make a bunch of defensive changes.I know these are his boys but his boys are gonna get him fired.

A win is a win but this one made me stoop down beside the bed and say a little prayer that the King comes back next year cause if Baker and his minions on defense are back next year our season will start off with a beating like very few,if any,ever has.

Good stuff, dude. And I have no answers on Rump. There's no reason whatsoever that he's still here.

I disagree. Take the sure 3, get a stop with all your TOs and plenty of time left, and then go win. The OT rules are retarded, so I'm not a fan of playing for OT.
I get your logic. I disagree on the math. Either way you can’t win without a TD in regulation, so you have to take that shot - it’s the best shot you can expect to get without being lucky. If you make it, you’re in great shape. If you don’t, you’re not in that bad shape - still need a td, which you’d still need if you hit the fg. The difference is miss the td and you’re playing to tie, make it and you’re playing to win. But that tells me the FG wasn’t about avoiding overtime - going for a td would have been the same choice. He just had no confidence in their ability to score on that drive. IMO. Maybe he was right but the math seems off.

Advertisement
I get your logic. I disagree on the math. Either way you can’t win without a TD in regulation, so you have to take that shot - it’s the best shot you can expect to get without being lucky. If you make it, you’re in great shape. If you don’t, you’re not in that bad shape - still need a td, which you’d still need if you hit the fg. The difference is miss the td and you’re playing to tie, make it and you’re playing to win. But that tells me the FG wasn’t about avoiding overtime - going for a td would have been the same choice. He just had no confidence in their ability to score on that drive. IMO. Maybe he was right but the math seems off.
Not sure about all that or what Diaz was thinking, but I completely understand his decision there based on me having the same feeling about converting that 4th and goal. Football's a weird game. We pushed it in twice from the 1/2 yard line. Then, we catch a penalty and move back to the 5. Odds were against converting 3 straight times on 4th down and goal in a condensed area.

I absolutely subscribe to pass to run with this team. But I hate that long *** WR screen we keep running. Someone will take that other way for 6 very soon. The juice ain't worth the squeeze on that play. It's slow, clunky, usually results in almost no yards, and is scary as fck.

I been talking **** about those screens to the sideline to anyone who will listen.

Lashlee found the juice. It’s quick throws over the middle. He needs to add some more route combos to prepare for when teams start cheating on the slant.

It is no coincidence that the offense exploded when we made a point to attack the middle with quick passing.

If we gonna throw to the flats it should be to the backs after the wide receivers clear the area and make opposing linebackers chase them to the sideline.

Not sure about all that or what Diaz was thinking, but I completely understand his decision there based on me having the same feeling about converting that 4th and goal. Football's a weird game. We pushed it in twice from the 1/2 yard line. Then, we catch a penalty and move back to the 5. Odds were against converting 3 straight times on 4th down and goal in a condensed area.
That’s my guess on his mindset also. Like I said, I understand his emotional response, I just think it wasn’t the right math choice. But footballs a momentum game and maybe he knew. Worked out for him. Doesn’t prove it was the right choice but sure helps his argument.

Advertisement

My understanding is that Diaz planned on replacing Rumph when he was hired as HC but the guy he wanted (don't know who it was) either signed with someone else or didn't want to leave the team he was with. He wasn't going to fire him for the sake of firing him (Rumph had a lot of support from UM players on the BOT), but could fire him if he had an upgrade available. Since his guy was off the market, he stuck with the known commodity. So that's how he survived when Diaz got hired. Then after year 1, Diaz got rid of the entire offensive staff and again stuck with Rumph because Diaz wasn't up to breaking in both a new offensive staff and defensive staff. I think the grace period is over and he's getting canned at the end of the season unless there he pulls a recruiting miracle. Ideally Miami finishes without another loss and some foolish G5 team hires Baker away, and the new DC turns over the staff.

This great and exciting win masks our problems and buys Manny more time. But this isn't sustainable.

Advertisement
Back