Garvin to the NFL

Sucks. Really thought he would make the smart long term decision and come back. Oh well, he was a good dude and a good player for us. Unfortunately, he never took the next step like we all thought. Good luck Jon!

Advertisement
He's bigger, slower, and less athletic with my 2019 eyes.

The man peaked at making Mike McGlinchey look like a JAG.

For context, brother...Chad Thomas is our only DL that registered over 30th percentile. And it wasn't that much.

Showing my work:

Joe Jackson - 2nd percentile athlete
Gerald Willis - 8th percentile athlete
Tito Odenigbo - 8th percentile athlete
Chad Thomas - 35th percentile athlete
Trent Harris - 7th percentile athlete
Anthony Moten - 1st percentile athlete
Kendrick Norton - 15th percentile athlete
RJ McIntosh - 3rd percentile athlete

I believe in athletic testing, but there are big misses there.

For example, there is no way Kendrick Norton was a better athlete than Gerald Willis, RJ McIntosh and Joe Jackson. Those guys won on athleticism and are currently on 53s based on their athleticism.

Why tf would he want to come back to split snaps with someone else because of our stupid gimmick rotation scheme.

He knows the teams not going to do any better next year.

Hes making the best decision to go and maybe make some money, instead of playing half of another season for nothing while not being developed at all. Risking injury.

Why tf would he want to come back to split snaps with someone else because of our stupid gimmick rotation scheme.

He knows the teams not going to do any better next year.

Hes making the best decision to go and maybe make some money, instead of playing half of another season for nothing while not being developed at all. Risking injury.

LSU rotates their DL...

Advertisement
They don't need their heads pumped up, they just wanna go.

If these kids all keep leaving early it probably has something to do with them not believing in the reasons presented for them to stay.

They'd rather be low round/UDFA's then stick around, that should tell you all you need to know.

This has been a problem for a very long time.

The fact that it has happened en masse tells me a lot about what we as an institution offer these student-athletes...its not much.

But, maybe we recruit a lot of the wrong types of players for where we are currently at, too. I think it might be a mix of both and think its a much more complex discussion about this University. We constantly hear rumblings of culture problems, no matter the coach. The same **** Manny Diaz talks about is the same **** Randy Shannon was talking about. We have a lot of de-commits, too, which, may not seem like something that would be connected, but as Haselwood said in that video last year, this kind of **** culture is evident to players, too.

We have a lot of **** wrong with this program right now.

It's a bad decision on his part, but I actually feel that we have plenty of DE talent coming back next year. Bad for him, but I don't think it necessarily hurts us.
agreed. I think he goes 7th rd, bad decision for him but wont effect us

Good luck to him...I can see him testing Decently but not getting drafted higher than 4th..I do believe he will be drafted but one more year of good film would of helped him get to 2nd round.

Advertisement
Advertisement
F*ck I cant wait for the staffs excuse about needing reps or time learning the defence. When they somehow start Patchan over Phillips.

Dude gave some jadeveon Clowney-esque effort for his final year in school....but without the first round hype.

Good luck, gonna need it. Kid has talent but teams are definitely gonna be sketched out by this years lack of production .

I believe in athletic testing, but there are big misses there.

For example, there is no way Kendrick Norton was a better athlete than Gerald Willis, RJ McIntosh and Joe Jackson. Those guys won on athleticism and are currently on 53s based on their athleticism.

I don't put much value in being a bottom 15 guy on an NFL roster. The league shuffles through (don't quote me on the exact percentage) ~70% of its contracted players through that bottom of the roster. Its not something I'd pound my chest on. I know you do, but really, its not about those numbers in isolation.

In summary...at the one position where athleticism actually matters and is translatable to the NFL...our Defensive Line...our best position unit over the past like 5-6 years...is basically filled with a bunch of pro backups and bottom of the roster types. You can make of that what you want. We are very unique.

You say those guys are on 53s because of their athleticism...and I say they aren't better than backups because they aren't athletic enough. We are probably both not wrong with those statements.

Advertisement
I don't put much value in being a bottom 15 guy on an NFL roster. The league shuffles through (don't quote me on the exact percentage) ~70% of its contracted players through that bottom of the roster. Its not something I'd pound my chest on. I know you do, but really, its not about those numbers in isolation.

In summary...at the one position where athleticism actually matters and is translatable to the NFL...our Defensive Line...our best position unit over the past like 5-6 years...is basically filled with a bunch of pro backups and bottom of the roster types. You can make of that what you want. We are very unique.

You say those guys are on 53s because of their athleticism...and I say they aren't better than backups because they aren't athletic enough. We are probably both not wrong with those statements.

It's extremely hard to be on a 53. We have more DEs in the NFL than any team in the country. If it was that easy, the other teams that recruit five stars every year would have more.

We've also been one of the top sack teams in the country, so it has translated in the Diaz area.

DE talent is the least of my concerns. And if athleticism is an issue, Rousseau, Phillips, Harvey and Chantz should kill those concerns.

5F54CC14-96EA-45AF-A73C-84906ACA8D84.gif

Advertisement
Back