Garcia is proof that HL tapes are BS

Cribby

All-American
Premium
First off let me be clear , I wasn’t blown away by Garcia’s Jr film, my skirt never left my knees. It didn’t blow up at all. I also wasn’t a fan of his dad and how the recruitment was handled, which is over now, but it played a part in my opinion of him. Back to the point of this thread.

Jake is the perfect example of highlight tapes being used to judge a qb is pretty much a waste. It’s also more proof we’re way too caught up in tangibles and what your physical gifts are. Qb is the one position that a lot more goes into it than that. The only way you can properly judge a qb is watching games , yes games with an “s”. You need to see all the intangibles , the leadership , and how he handles the ups and downs of a season. Which I never did , that’s why I always said “ honestly I don’t care either way if he commits here”. Boy was I off, I should’ve did some investigating before giving any opinion. Even though I didn’t say he sucked or I didn’t want, I was dismissive.

I’ve had my heart broken by highly rated qb’s at UM more times than Jennifer Aniston. From Brock Berlin (transfer) , to Kyle Wright , to the one that hurt the most Robert Marve. So I’m not just handing my heart over to either of these qb’s, they gotta earn my love. But for the first time in twenty plus years I feel very confident in the qb room.

Let’s be clear , I’m not saying Garcia is the next great or crowning him but **** there was intangibles that tell me we got a good one. He has every intangible you want in your qb. From confidence , moxy , leadership and just a calmness / presence in the pocket you can’t teach. He climbed and slid the pocket like no qb I’ve seen as a Fr in resent years, **** there’s a lot of Srs that don’t have that. His eyes stayed down field no matter what was around him or where he was manipulating the pocket. It was just unreal to think he should be on a Hs campus. The other things I noticed were anticipating throws , throwing guys open , unreal accuracy on every deep ball and the kid obviously loves ball. Anybody who moves across the country , willing to play at a high competition / class of football and winning over a new locker room to just play games , I’d say there’s a strong love.

Like I said , I’m not saying he’s the next great here but I’m very confident he’ll be a really good qb, there’s too many aspects of his game that are really good, things you can’t teach. You either have or you don’t.

I look forward to the battle , TVD probably has a slight lead all things considered from spring but it’s far from over. This will go to the last day of fall. I just hope both stay and battle even if one supplants the other.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Elite talent. Glad we are starting to land some difference makers at important positions . Said it a while back but his ability to adapt and being thrown out of his comfort zone will be a plus for his college career because he went to not 1 but 2 powerhouse Georgia programs and played well and won over the lockerroom of each program. Not only does he have the talent but he EASILY fits in a “Miami” lockerroom, gets along with anyone he’s around. Loved hearing how vocal he is to his teammates from the announcers yesterday too.

From a skills prospective, he can make any throw, move in the pocket , can be mobile and has great accuracy. Cant wait to see what he does when he’s eventually qb1 after king. I’m still marveling at that throw he made in the playoffs where it was a broken down play and while moving to the left he launched the ball like 55 yards or so.

Advertisement
Advertisement
First off let me be clear , I wasn’t blown away by Garcia’s Jr film, my skirt never left my knees. It didn’t blow up at all. I also wasn’t a fan of his dad and how the recruitment was handled, which is over now, but it played a part in my opinion of him. Back to the point of this thread.

Jake is the perfect example of highlight tapes being used to judge a qb is pretty much a waste. It’s also more proof we’re way too caught up in tangibles and what your physical gifts are. Qb is the one position that a lot more goes into it than that. The only way you can properly judge a qb is watching games , yes games with an “s”. You need to see all the intangibles , the leadership , and how he handles the ups and downs of a season. Which I never did , that’s why I always said “ honestly I don’t care either way if he commits here”. Boy was I off, I should’ve did some investigating before giving any opinion. Even though I didn’t say he sucked or I didn’t want, I was dismissive.

I’ve had my heart broken by highly rated qb’s at UM more times than Jennifer Aniston. From Brock Berlin (transfer) , to Kyle Wright , to the one that hurt the most Robert Marve. So I’m not just handing my heart over to either of these qb’s, they gotta earn my love. But for the first time in twenty plus years I feel very confident in the qb room.

Let’s be clear , I’m not saying Garcia is the next great or crowning him but **** there was intangibles that tell me we got a good one. He has every intangible you want in your qb. From confidence , moxy , leadership and just a calmness / presence in the pocket you can’t teach. He climbed and slid the pocket like no qb I’ve seen as a Fr in resent years, **** there’s a lot of Srs that don’t have that. His eyes stayed down field no matter what was around him or where he was manipulating the pocket. It was just unreal to think he should be on a Hs campus. The other things I noticed were anticipating throws , throwing guys open , unreal accuracy on every deep ball and the kid obviously loves ball. Anybody who moves across the country , willing to play at a high competition / class of football and winning over a new locker room to just play games , I’d say there’s a strong love.

Like I said , I’m not saying he’s the next great here but I’m very confident he’ll be a really good qb, there’s too many aspects of his game that are really good, things you can’t teach. You either it have or you don’t.

I look forward to the battle , TVD probably has a slight lead all things considered from spring but it’s far from over. This will go to the last day of fall. I just hope stay and battle even if one supplants the other.
I really hope so, it’s been a long list of heartbreaks.

Like I said , I’m not saying he’s the next great here but I’m very confident he’ll be a really good qb, there’s too many aspects of his game that are really good, things you can’t teach. You either it have or you don’t.

I look forward to the battle , TVD probably has a slight lead all things considered from spring but it’s far from over. This will go to the last day of fall. I just hope stay and battle even if one supplants the other.
There is an incredibly fine line between leading the parade and just waving as the people are running you out of town.

There is so much outside King, TVD, or Garcias' control on their journey ahead.

One made/missed block here (as Romo what happens on missed halfback assignments), a circus catch/easy drop there could possibly be the difference between greatness and JAG-dom.

It appears TVD and Garcia have the makings to be good-great-elite players, but we've seen this show before play on the Greentree big screen and its a horror movie.

From a passing mechanics, feel, and "can make all the throws" perspective, how would Miami's QBs be rank ordered today?

TVD/Garcia?
King?
Matocha?

Advertisement
There is an incredibly fine line between leading the parade and just waving as the people are running you out of town.

There is so much outside King, TVD, or Garcias' control on their journey ahead.

One made/missed block here (as Romo what happens on missed halfback assignments), a circus catch/easy drop there could possibly be the difference between greatness and JAG-dom.

It appears TVD and Garcia have the makings to be good-great-elite players, but we've seen this show before play on the Greentree big screen and its a horror movie.
Tvd has every physical trait you’d want but there was things I saw from Garcia that makes it a given he’ll be good. No doubt. Tvd could be better , there’s talent there to be a nfl qb. But it’s more unknown. Garcia was doing things that highlight tapes don’t show or can be taught. The only way I don’t see him being successful is if he gets the Kyle Wright treatment, having god awful ol that completely breaks him mentally, to where he’s paying attention more to what’s around him than what’s going on downfield. People forget Kyle was good his first year. By the end of his career he was shot.

Kid looked great, very encouraged. Watched a couple of his HS games up here in GA. Love the deep ball. Have seen him throw 4-5 now, including ystdy, and the worst was SLIGHTLY underthrown. Just this, easy to keep eyes downfield when the bullets are rubber. Didn't see him under REAL pressure in limited HS action I've seen, or ystdy. Very promising though.

Advertisement
Tvd has every physical trait you’d want but there was things I saw from Garcia that makes it a given he’ll be good. No doubt. Tvd could be better , there’s talent there to be a nfl qb. But it’s more unknown. Garcia was doing things that highlight tapes don’t show or can be taught. The only way I don’t see him being successful is if he gets the Kyle Wright treatment, having god awful ol that completely breaks him mentally, to where he’s paying attention more to what’s around him than what’s going on downfield. People forget Kyle was good his first year. By the end of his career he was Ali vs Holmes.
All the more reason Canes fans need to hope the OL doesn't turn Bama game (or any contest) into Aztec human sacrfice ritual for QB.

Garcia looked much more comfortable, at ease, at home, running the offense. The quick scan / release / pocket awareness .. is something I haven't seen in a UM QB in a decade. It was only a scrimmage .. but he looked like a college senior instead of a HS senior. To me it seems like any "lead" that TVD has is simply depth of knowledge of the playbook. As far as physical performance on the field it appears to me that Garcia is the one in the lead .. and is perhaps the best pure passer in the QB room period.

Advertisement
Back