Game Planning Around the OL

The OP is illogical in that he states that the new OL could not hold up under the long developing plays that Richt called. Richt is no longer with the team and there is no basis for asserting that as a risk with the new playbook an unknown. Also, if you pay close attention, the tensile strength of a paper bag changes when wet. Try tearing a wet bag versus a dry one. It bends more and takes more effort to break. Also, a line, like paper, can be trained to produce wet paper strength.
This is a good attribute for an offensive line.
That’s weird science, but me likey 😁

Advertisement
I expect our game planning to work around our OL liabilities. I do think we'll see some improvement on the line (Stacy Searles was an absolute disaster), but they're still a major weakness on this team.

This oline is more “talented”. I think we can all agree to that. Idk how you go a whole game scheming to protect a suspect line. You can’t. Especially against elite comp. LSU we got manhandled. Vs FSU same thing. Vs BC same thing.

We said the same thing last year at this time. We'll see what happens when we play the gator. God I hate them.

Our O-Line couldn't punch their way out of a wet paper bag with scissors in their hands..*, the RZA. We have to get the ball to Jeff Thomas, number 4 the lizard.

Anyone else think the QB who wins the job will be the one who can read defenses and hit on quick slants and outs? I’m thinking this OL will generally not be able to hold up on long developing plays that Richt stuck with. E.g. a lot of double slants vs man and letting our skill guys use their quicks.

What else can we do to cover up for the OL as a marked jump in performance isn’t a given.
You're such an expert on the OL. New coach, New system but you already know that they are not capable of of doing their job. GTFO and welcome to the IGNORE List

Advertisement
I think OP is way, way, way off about what the OL will be this year.

How many ****** OL’s do you know turn it around completely in one season? I don’t know any. ****, reports are our DL is giving our OL fits already.

The OL is going to take time to fix.

Pre and post snap motion and misdirection help out a lot.
This allows any blocker better levearage angles.
Even a little bit helps, check out he difference of a standard inside zone versus, split zone or a zone ugly play.

How many ****** OL’s do you know turn it around completely in one season? I don’t know any. ****, reports are our DL is giving our OL fits already.

We played Donaldson out of his natural position for nearly half the season and Scaife was a true freshman. Those two graded out well and stabilized the line down the stretch. All while playing in a prehistoric offense with a horrible o-line coach.

It may not be the team strongest unit, but imo it won't require us to game plan around it.

The OP is illogical in that he states that the new OL could not hold up under the long developing plays that Richt called. Richt is no longer with the team and there is no basis for asserting that as a risk with the new playbook an unknown. Also, if you pay close attention, the tensile strength of a paper bag changes when wet. Try tearing a wet bag versus a dry one. It bends more and takes more effort to break. Also, a line, like paper, can be trained to produce wet paper strength.
This is a good attribute for an offensive line.
We need a wet line....ok.

Advertisement

Its nfl but the colts. Went from one of the worst for years to one of the best in the nfl last year. And the colts had a new coaching staff and started 2 rookies.

Advertisement
Games are won on the line of scrimmage. Our OL is a liability. Our OL recruitment has been missing for at least 10-15 years. We manage to get a top OLineman once every three years or so. You can't be in the top 10 of college ball recruiting like that.

Our whole starting offensive line, including 2 backups from the 2013 Offensive Line got drafted.

As excited as I am about the refreshing upgrades to dang near every aspect of this team, the one thing I'm still anxious about is our OL. Part of me looks at guys like Reed, Campbell, Hillary, Donaldson, Scaife, Gaynor, Kennedy, and couple others and think surely we can field a strong enough group to assist the defense in dominating. But the past several years pushes me back to reality. Hopefully the improvement in coaching, scheme, attitude and training will result in a unit strong enough to consistently win battles. If it does come together effectively, we are in for one **** of a treat. The talent everywhere else (QB finger crossed) is more than sufficient.

I have high hopes for that unit but Gaynor Hillary and Campbell are question marks.

I had hopes for the butler kid based on his hype but that’s what we get for trying to blow up a scrub. Now that thought was just as bright as a 20-watt light bulb.
Is the Butler kid no good? I haven't heard anything about him since practice started.

Advertisement
We played Donaldson out of his natural position for nearly half the season and Scaife was a true freshman. Those two graded out well and stabilized the line down the stretch. All while playing in a prehistoric offense with a horrible o-line coach.

It may not be the team strongest unit, but imo it won't require us to game plan around it.

Agree to disagree. Our OL has ways to go. Hopefully, new staff and system turns it around but it won’t be pretty.

Our O-Line couldn't punch their way out of a wet paper bag with scissors in their hands..*, the RZA. We have to get the ball to Jeff Thomas, number 4 the lizard.

Anyone else think the QB who wins the job will be the one who can read defenses and hit on quick slants and outs? I’m thinking this OL will generally not be able to hold up on long developing plays that Richt stuck with. E.g. a lot of double slants vs man and letting our skill guys use their quicks.

What else can we do to cover up for the OL as a marked jump in performance isn’t a given.

Short of a miraculous coaching job by Barry in changing just about everything....Enos will have to play call around it, something Richt was sadly unwilling or incapable of doing.

UM

If we could play 7 on 7 style, we'd be top 5 every year. But since we gotta play with special teams and an offensive line....well, yanno.....

Advertisement
Back