Game Planning Around the OL

We the Boss

You're a disease
Our O-Line couldn't punch their way out of a wet paper bag with scissors in their hands..*****, the RZA. We have to get the ball to Jeff Thomas, number 4 the lizard.

Anyone else think the QB who wins the job will be the one who can read defenses and hit on quick slants and outs? I’m thinking this OL will generally not be able to hold up on long developing plays that Richt stuck with. E.g. a lot of double slants vs man and letting our skill guys use their quicks.

What else can we do to cover up for the OL as a marked jump in performance isn’t a given.

Advertisement
The o line performance last year is scrutinized far too much. They had a top 30-40 rushing yard average from the running backs and if the qb and receivers can get excuses of why they didn’t perform good enough last year then that applies to the oline especially in short yardage situations. Teams knowing exactly what Miami is going to do yet richt calls the same plays and formations allowing them to tee off. No motions to unclog some of that up the middle to draw away defenders but he keeps doing the same play dive up the middle or all verticals. Point blank period no they weren’t elite but the predictability of Richts playcalling affected the oline performance

Last edited:
I watched some film of Enos' teams against good defenses and he did like to mix things up a bit. Primarily with quick passes out to WRs while in I- formation when the opposing teams thought he would run the ball.

We may have to do that a lot game one because the slow developing plays will probably not work against the fast Gators D.
Maybe some misdirection or fake hand-off then toss plays the other way will be the variant in the running game.
We shall see.

Advertisement
The OP is illogical in that he states that the new OL could not hold up under the long developing plays that Richt called. Richt is no longer with the team and there is no basis for asserting that as a risk with the new playbook an unknown. Also, if you pay close attention, the tensile strength of a paper bag changes when wet. Try tearing a wet bag versus a dry one. It bends more and takes more effort to break. Also, a line, like paper, can be trained to produce wet paper strength.
This is a good attribute for an offensive line.

Last edited:
Watched a simple drill from yesterday's spring practice that gives me hope. QBs repping a fake screen/RB toss. Just that. Insanely simple and easy to rep. But that small easy misdirection can be enough to get a LB to flinch the wrong way and spring the RB for a big gain.

That's one way to mask a subpar OL, and it's being installed on the first day of pads. I'd love to go deeper down this rabbit hole when I'm not on my phone because I think there's a lot more that can and will be done.

Advertisement
Coaches don’t usually run off 10 game starters the previous year to leave(Mahoney) if they aren’t higher on some of the younger players so that alone is encouraging if you ask me

Watched a simple drill from yesterday's spring practice that gives me hope. QBs repping a fake screen/RB toss. Just that. Insanely simple and easy to rep. But that small easy misdirection can be enough to get a LB to flinch the wrong way and spring the RB for a big gain.

That's one way to mask a subpar OL, and it's being installed on the first day of pads. I'd love to go deeper down this rabbit hole when I'm not on my phone because I think there's a lot more that can and will be done.
I saw that too in one of the videos from this week.
Hence, I alluded to the quick pitch/misdirection in my post.

Advertisement
Addition by subtraction may apply in this case as well.

Jahair Jones and Mahoney were trash.
St. Louis was below average at best.

If the lineup is:

Scaife
Donaldson
Gaynor
Hillery
Campbell

That’s a line that will prob struggle for the first half of the year but with experience will gel into a good group later in the year. It also sets up 2020 for the OL to be a strength of this team with everyone coming back.

Quick passes, 1 step and 3 step drops along with lots of misdirection and multiple TE sets should all help the o line. What intrigues me about Tate is how he can use the RPO game and his agility to create when a play breaks down which can come in handy vs an aggressive UF defense that loves to blitz. Overall I think the o line will be better than last year but just not a huge leap forward until we can recruit a legit left tackle cuz scaife is better suited at guard but we may have no choice to play him at tackle.

Advertisement
There should be some production on the o-line. There is talent with donaldson, scaife, reed, campbell, and gaynor. Hillery has the athletic ability and physical make up you want.

There is a concern with depth but i think the starting group will be more talented than the last few years.

Addition by subtraction may apply in this case as well.

Jahair Jones and Mahoney were trash.
St. Louis was below average at best.

If the lineup is:

Scaife
Donaldson
Gaynor
Hillery
Campbell

That’s a line that will prob struggle for the first half of the year but with experience will gel into a good group later in the year. It also sets up 2020 for the OL to be a strength of this team with everyone coming back.

I have high hopes for that unit but Gaynor Hillary and Campbell are question marks.

I had hopes for the butler kid based on his hype but that’s what we get for trying to blow up a scrub. Now that thought was just as bright as a 20-watt light bulb.

Advertisement
Back